The two best things about visiting Nova Scotia in October have to be the apples and being able to enjoy the outdoors. The weather is gorgeous and the crunchy apples are delicious!
We arrived in Truro late on the night of October 7th to four cats that were very happy to see us. It just so happened that the following day, Monday, was both Ryan's 4th birthday and Thanksgiving. I spent the morning trying to unpack and sort stuff until Mom realized that I needed a break and sent me and Tim off to Masstown Market with Dad. Ryan's cousins, Brett and Julia, had come to visit and they were having so much fun playing outside that he couldn't care less what we did even if it was his birthday, so off we went for a lovely visit to the market. We ended up having fish, scallops and chips which was a real treat for me since I don't normally eat battered anything anymore. This batter was gluten free though so I gave it a try. It was fantastic!
In the afternoon everyone came over and we had a little party for Ryan. He had been wanting a hockey cake for months so that's what he got. He was very happy with the cake but I think even more excited about having spent the day with Julia, Brett, Drew and a couple of fun dogs. After the cake we even played some baseball outside and by the end of the day we were all exhausted.
 |
| He just couldn't resist! |

We didn't stay put long (because we're not into that) and Tuesday we headed off to the beautiful Annapolis Valley with a quick stop at the dentist on the way. While the boys and I visited with my lovely Aunt Jean, Tim went to see some former coworkers at the Michelin plant in Waterville. We walked with Jean and Buttercup down to the brook near her house and the boys, but especially Ryan, had a glorious time just throwing rocks in the water. The walk through the woods was really nice, too.
 |
| Ryan trying to give Buttercup a hug |
By the time Tim returned from his visit it was time to go to my cousin Nancy's house for supper. We had a lovely meal with her and Peter then left for Truro. I wish we had more time there for visiting as there were several people I would like to have seen. Next time, I guess!
Wednesday we had another appointment in the morning then Tim left for Granton to visit another Michelin plant and have supper with some friends. I'm sure I did something that afternoon, but I can't remember what. Maybe shopping. I do remember that evening very well though. My sister and sister-in-law tried to kill me. They thought it would be a good idea for me to go with them and their ladies' biking group on a nice ride in the park. I must say it became fun at some point, but the first fifteen minutes (and a steep hill) just about did me in. My lungs actually pained. Although I was walking often here in Shenyang this summer, I didn't do a lot of aerobic exercising. Partly because I'm lazy but mostly because I'm afraid to breathe that deeply here. Anyway, I lived to tell you about it. Barely.
Thursday we were on the go again with an eye appointment for Tim and (FINALLY!) a haircut for me. My hair was getting so long I could hardly stand it. I have been going to the same hairdresser for sixteen years but I may have to break down and get my hair cut in China next time. I'm not sure I can make it another ten months without a cut. We will see.
After our appointments the four of us took off for Halifax. We did some shopping then met up with friends for supper. You may remember Cristina and Daniel from Mexico who were living in Shenyang last year. They moved to Brazil but were back in Canada for a visit, coincidentally enough at the same time as us so we met on the Halifax waterfront at a restaurant called Hamachi, a Japanese steakhouse. We were expecting just sushi but what we got was a fantastic show and some great food. The chef, Mar, came to our table to cook for us but he was also quite an entertainer. He had the kids in stitches the whole time and even had Tim up flipping eggs into a hat. It was a wonderful supper!
 |
| Ryan got a little scared when Mar mentioned fire... |
 |
| See the look on his face? |
 |
| And now! |
 |
| Tim was put to work! |
 |
| See the egg? He flipped it into his hat. |
 |
| Can you guess who this is? |
 |
| Another great photo by Nick. |
Friday morning involved yet another appointment for Tim but once he finished that, the two of us took off to spend a night in Fredericton, New Brunswick, while the kids stayed with my parents. A few years back (fourteen to be exact!) the two of us lived there, attending the University of New Brunswick. While we were living there, we would go to the farmers market every Saturday morning for sausages and Chinese noodles and Tim just had to go back for some of that delicious food. Since this particular Saturday was his birthday, I agreed. The sausage lady was still there but unfortunately the family that sold the Chinese noodles was not. We were pleased to find though, that there are many new sellers and one was a mother and daughter team from Thailand selling several different dishes including my favorite, Pad Thai. It was awesome! If you ever make it Fredericton, I definitely recommend getting there on a Saturday morning for the market. It's a lot of fun.
After the market we made one last stop at UNB to see what had changed. Although there were a few new buildings, most things were just as we had left them. We visited the bookstore so I could buy a pricey UNB sweater and found our class pictures in our respective buildings. It was nice seeing the place again, but really nice to be able to leave!
 |
| Can you find Tim? |
 |
| How about me? |
Saturday night we celebrated Tim's birthday at his parents' house with a turkey dinner (that we missed on Thanksgiving Day!) and cake. It was nice for the old man.
Sunday and Monday were a bit of a blur with shopping, packing, visiting, kids running around and finally a big supper the night before we left. The eight days went by way too quickly and we decided that next year the kids and I will stay for the entire month of July. That might be enough!
 |
| Brett staying for a sleepover! |
 |
| Can you see why they love it here? |
Again really sweet photos! It was great to see you and spend time with you. Your boys have grown so much. Even though we see photos it is so much different to see them in person. You even found lots of things to do in Nova Scotia. Poor Ryan was really intense when the chef lit the fire! I think it would make me a little nervous too.
ReplyDeleteGuess I had better get something done today. Have a great day!
Jan, it is hard to believe your vacation is over and your are back home in China. It was great to spend time with you when you and the boys while you were in Nova Scotia and I was glad I got to talk to you before you left Calgary.
ReplyDeleteYour pictures are wonderful, you can tell that everyone is having a great time.
Nice that you were able to connect with Cristina and Daniel while you were here.
I have read your other blogs but didn't get a chance to comment, things will get back to a routine shortly (I hope)
Have a great day, take care