A week ago we got a taste of what was to come with xiao xin nian (Little New Year) but that was just a warm-up. Last night was New Year's Eve and that's when the biggest show takes place. The noise started long before dark with firecrackers and continued through the evening with fireworks every few minutes. Around 10:30, the festivities really started to pick up and it was constant noise and beautiful lights for the next two hours. Here are a couple videos during the busiest time.
Apparently we can expect more tonight but perhaps not quite as intense. We will see!
Yesterday, for our New Year's Eve celebration, we decided to check out a new restaurant. It was a bit of a drive but I think it was worth it. The place was huge and from the outside looked more like a office building than a restaurant/hotel with it's glass exterior. I had heard about it from a fellow soccer mom when I was complaining that I didn't have anywhere to take the kids where they can just run around. Nicholas has become too big for the play places like Happy City or Happy Family that we made us of so frequently over the last two summers. So why a restaurant if I want the kids to be able to run? This is why:
Even without the great play structure this restaurant was really cool. There was a lot of foliage and some of the tables were set down in "boats" with water around them. The food was decent enough that I would go back again. Here are a few pictures, although they seem to be a little blurry. I may need to clean the lens on my iPhone.
| These are the biggest clams I've ever seen! |
The only unfortunate part of our day came on our way home when a lady driving much too fast in the snow ran into the side of our van. She hit the tire and just above right beside where Nicholas was sitting. He was fine, it wasn't a terribly hard hit. Once our driver spoke with her for a few minutes they both got on their phones and were talking to people and yelling at each other a bit at the same time. The lady, who had gotten back in her car, started to roll up her window when our driver tapped on it to get her to open it again. When she did he handed her his phone, she gave him her phone, and they both started talking to whomever was on the other end of the line. I don't know what that was all about but we had to sit in traffic until the police showed up to determine who was at fault. It was pretty obvious so they said the cars could be moved then they sat in their vehicle while the two drivers waited at their window for paperwork. It was all an experience that I hope never happens again.
Today we spent part of the day trying on our summer clothes and choosing what to take away to Thailand with us. Only four more sleeps! We are super excited and ready to pack up and get to the heat. Tonight the low here is forecast to be -30C but in Phuket (pronounced Poo-ket, not how it looks:) is 27C. Awesome!!
Happy Chinese New Year Jan! They certainly know how to put on a wonderful fireworks display. Absolutely nothing like ours here. But then we are not trying to scare off evil spirits.
ReplyDeleteI can see why you would like this restaurant. Your food looks very tasty too. I love the tropical decorating.
Sorry to hear about your accident and thankfully no one got hurt. By the way they drive over there I guess it is amazing that it hasn't happened before this.
So happy for you to be getting out in the beautiful Thailand sunshine. I could really use a shot of sunshine myself right now. What a year for me not to be going to Florida. We have had soooo much snow in the last 48 hours and by the sounds of things it is coming again in 2 days. I think tomorrow is going to be sunny so I will try to get out and plod through the snow to get some rays. It has been very cold here too along with the snow. Jerry would love to be out in it but I have not been interested in the last 2 days. Dev came up from Halifax to help Ellery with the snow removal at the rink and Ellery really appreciated his help. He is really missing Stefan. Stef did most of the plowing and this winter has been a crazy one for snow. Stefan stayed in PEI this weekend in case he got storm stayed here.
We got to Maralee's wedding on Friday night and it was great. She looked beautiful and Mike was handsome. They make a very attractive couple and have so much in common. I think they are truly in love. I got lots of photos. They are in Cuba now for their honeymoon. I did have an issue though on Wednesday my camera broke and I had to buy a new one. It is a Nikon D7000 and I love it. It is very similar to my D90 but there are extra features which I am very pleased about. I would rather not have had to spend an extra $1000 right now but my old camera certainly worked well for me. I have had it for 4 or 5 years and took tons of photos with it. I hope this new one lasts as long with the use I give it.
Well must go, again I wish all of you an amazing trip to Thailand and I'm sure I will see some of your photos! Bye for now!
Happy Chinese New Year you guys! I too really love the fireworks display, they are so pretty, must be nice not have to go anywhere to view them.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful place to eat, you don't see play sets in restaurants around here unless you go to McDonald's or Burger King. I have never seen clams that big before, I really don't care for them, I will eat a few but that is it.
I guess you guys are busy packing and getting ready for your trip. Hard to believe it is here already, the time seems to be going so quickly. I know you all are going to have a wonderful vacation.
Your mom was down with the dogs on Friday, she came to borrow some books. She didn't want to be caught snowbound with nothing to read. She took all Carl's James Harriot books so she will be occupied for a while.
I managed to get swimming this morning, I needed to get out of the house after the storm. The water was lovely and there were only three of us in the pool, it was very relaxing. When I got home I brought in the com-poster and did some snow shoveling. It was very nice in the sun. I had a little nap after lunch and then did some computer work. We are supposed to have snow tonight and rain tomorrow, it will be very messy under foot.
Tricia and Darren were getting snow today, the buses were cancelled so the kids were home from school again, they have had 11 snow days already this winter. Darren had his meeting with his career counselor last week and he is off to Gagetown in July for 3 or 4 years. The little girls are pretty excited, Darren as well, Trish is sitting on the fence. It will be hard for them all to leave up there, Darren has lived there almost as long as he had lived in Truro.
Well Jan, must go and get supper ready, my day is just about over, once the boys go home and supper is over with I can get to do some reading.
Have a wonderful vacation in Thailand, have lots of fun.
Take Care. Hi to the boys for me, Tim too!