Sunday, March 31, 2013

Okay okay!

Alright, so I know I've been pretty slack.  I have a couple of good excuses.  Want to hear them?  Too bad, you're going to anyway.  Firstly, I've been reading.  A lot.  In the last four weeks I've read sixteen novels.  After reading Life Of Pi and Where'd You Go, Bernadette? somebody, who shall remain nameless, got me hooked on the Virgin River series and I've been plowing through those stories ever since.  I do most of my reading in the evening once the kids are in bed (when I would normally blog) or even in the van.  I never used to be able to read while in the car but I seem to be overcoming that obstacle.  I have the books loaded onto the iPad, my iPhone and Tim's e-reader so that no matter where I am, I can read whenever the urge hits, which turns out to be quite often.

The other excuse is that there just hasn't been a lot to write about.  Nicholas is still doing great at school while Ryan stays home with me.  We have been going to the indoor play areas a little more lately and Ryan has started doing "schoolwork" during the day.  Because he will be eligible for junior kindergarten this coming August, we had to decide if he would attend or not.  He doesn't want to go so I made a deal with him.  He will be allowed to stay home with me for another year as long as he is willing to do some school work during the day.  Apparently he thought that was a good deal because has been enthusiastically completing whatever I put in front of him - dot-to-dot, mazes, letters and numbers.  One day he started doing his number dot-to-dot backwards, counting from 20 down to 1.  He's doing very well and is quite proud of his work.  I will need more workbooks soon as he is completing them very quickly.

Yesterday we made a trip to a new French sporting goods store, Decathlon, and for Easter purchased a new bike for Ryan and skateboard for Nicholas, plus a few other goodies we hadn't planned on.  It's a great store and Ry is really pleased with his new bike and helmet.  He picked the most colorful ones he could find and had fun trying them out today.  It wasn't the best day for being outside with snow and not great air quality, but we managed to get out for a little bit - after lots of Easter chocolate of course!  The bunny visited our place last night.


The purple balls on his back are his "weapons" for when he is ready to be a Ninja Turtle.  They are attached to sticks to make swords and both boys keep them down the backs of their shirts.







Nicholas was home for Good Friday and now has the following week off for spring break.  We are planning to go to more play places and perhaps the science museum and I'm hoping the weather will be nice enough for us to get out and do some biking.  We need sunshine, clear air and warmer temperatures.

Aside from all that, the only news I have is that the kids and I will be spending almost the entire summer in Nova Scotia.  We're very excited and counting down the days til we leave.  I'm sure that as the weather here gets nicer, the time will fly by even faster.  It's the dark, dreary days that seems to drag by.

One last little tidbit before I get back to my reading.  Last week we had a play date with some friends and one little, dark haired, five-year-old boy asked me why Ryan's hair is so blond.  I told him that mine was like that when I was little, but he wasn't satisfied with that explanation.  He asked if I wash Ryan's hair with really hot water to get it that color.  I told him that no, I definitely didn't, but he was convinced that there had to be something he could do to get his own hair to be blond, even if it meant washing it with super hot water.  He really, really wants to be a blond.  With his Korean ancestry, I think he'll have a difficult time with that.

Happy Easter and April Fools!


Baking Banana Bread!





3 comments:

  1. Hi Kids, Great photos and blog! It looks like the Easter weekend was a successwith sunny weather there and in Nova Scotia.

    I have to go and soak up some vitamin D so we'll skype later.

    Love Mom, Nanny xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Lorraine! I was out and got a dose of it myself!

    Great to hear from you Jan! Nice bike and helmet Ryan. I am sure you will get lots of use out of them both. We will have to see some tricks on your skate board Nick!

    Happy Easter to all of you!

    We are having some wonderfully sunny and warm weather after all the cold snowy stuff. The boys were both here yesterday so we had our Easter Chicken dinner then. Grammie also came for supper so it was fun. I had my Good Friday practice at church on Friday morning and then we did our Cantata in the afternoon which was wonderful. I played bells in our church service this morning so I had a very busy weekend. I did Easter Baskets up for the boys but this is the first year we didn't have and Easter egg hunt if you can imagine. I guess they are getting too old plus they are all trying to stay away from the goodies.

    Ellery has been very busy with the 4 on 4 since Stefan is away and unable to do the clock Ellery has to flood and run the clock but Hayden has been able to help him some with it.

    Well must go and get some lunch.

    Watch out for the April Fools tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, ou have a lot of reading ahead of you with that series, I also read all of books and enjoyed them. I read a good book last week, The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott.

    I guess the Easter Bunny found your place, he didn't even slow down as he went by us. That is a cool bike and helmet Ryan, and Nick, that is a great looking skateboard. I am sure you will both have lots of fun skateboarding and biking.

    We have been busy this past week, Hayden is doing the clock for Ellery's tournament so he stayed with us all week except for Tuesday night and Kenzie stayed because Hayden had a practice at the Wellness Center in Pictou County. Between putting up my new blinds, driving kids to school and swimming I haven't stopped much.

    I am counting down the days until I go to Darren's, am really looking forward to my visit as it will be my last one for awhile. Next visit will be to Gagetown and I will be driving not flying (I think).

    We have had a couple of sunny days, but the wind is cold. We also had a fair amount of snow on Monday night and Tuesday. It is all gone now and the sun is shining The forecast is for snow tonight and Sat morning and I think there is some rain in there as well, going to be messy. Carl and I had planned to go to Gagetown to see Darren and Trish on the weekend but decided the weather was too unstable, don't want to be caught on the highway in messy weather. We are going to try and go up on Wednesday.

    Well Jan not much else going on here, must go and get my deposit done and then make a trip to the bank.

    You guys have a great day, take care!

    ReplyDelete