It's hard to believe but today marks the end of our second year in China. Tim and I went out for a nice supper at Trader's Hotel - the very place we stayed at for our first night in Shenyang, then promptly abandoned for the Crowne Plaza on the second. They have a good Peking Duck and rice noodles at their restaurant so we like to eat and people watch there every once in a while.
I've had a bit of a love-hate relationship with this place lately. I won't bore anyone by rehashing what the reasons are for that relationship. Reading back a few months should make it clear. My mom pointed out to me a few days ago that had we stuck with our original plan of coming here for three years, we would now be counting down the last third of our time here. However, because we agreed to stay for a total of five years, it's like we are now starting over. That realization put me on a bit of an emotional roller coaster. One year wouldn't be long enough to see and experience everything left on our bucket list for this place. But, looking ahead, three years is a long time to live with the things we don't love about China. The good news is that the boys are really thriving here and we will be going home twice a year from now on (at least that's the plan). That will give us a chance to enjoy the things we love and appreciate about Nova Scotia while still experiencing the benefits of being expats in Asia.
Earlier this week I was delivered some news that, although great for the bearer, was very sad for me. My friend, masseuse, babysitter and perhaps the sweetest person in all of China, Lena, is going to be leaving Shenyang. I have been spoiled these last couple of years and will miss her terribly. I'm not sure I will ever find another Lena. Poor Jan.
I must snuggle up under a blanket and immerse my latest book before I head off to bed. G'night.
Happy China-versary! I'm sorry to hear about Lena, I know you really enjoyed having her there.
ReplyDeleteThe good news is - through these people we meet, we get to have friends worldwide!
What book are you reading right now?
Jan, Happy China-versary and where did the time go! Well I guess you have filled it with so many adventures while you have been there and in no time you will be counting down the last year for real! There are positives and negatives to everywhere that we live and you have definitely followed your dreams and have provided the boys with the knowledge that they can and should follow their dreams and not be afraid to. (There, that is a bit of wisdom!:0) )
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about Lena's leaving. Maybe she has a friend that could help you out.
We are supposed to get a snow storm today or at least more snow, I really hope not. It has been sunny here a few days this week but still quite chilly. It is April and I need warm weather!
Stefan is home this weekend and has to do some studying cause he has 3 exams this week. So that will keep him busy.
We had an interesting thing this week at the rink. A hockey team from Serbia came to visit. Darlene may have already told you about it but I will tell you just in case she didn't. They came up with a team from Lower Sackville. They were PeeWee A and AA teams. They are here for the SEDMA games in Halifax. There were 19 children on each team and they rented the ice for 2 hours. They also brought CBC TV with them and CBC had it on their news on Tuesday evening. They went to Sugar Moon Farm first for pancakes and then up here. It was really interesting cause they wanted to see Hockeyville! Ellery gave them all Hockeyville calendars to take home. And of course I took photos! It was fun!
Well I think that is it for now! Happy reading as I see that is a wonderful new hobby for you! Say, 'Hi' to all of your boys for me! Bye for now and great to hear from you!
My goodness Jan, where did the time go? it is hard to believe that you have been there two years. I am sure that the next three will go just as fast. Just think of all the memories you guys have and all the friends that you have made from all over the world. I am sure that over the next three years you will find things to add to that bucket list and you will then have the time to do it all.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear that Lena is leaving, you really will miss her as will the boys. Maybe she will know of another masseuse that you could contact. who knows you might luck out again!
we are having a mixture of snow and rain today, so this is going to be a cleaning day and a reading day (when the cleaning is done).
Carl is down stairs, the rink is booked most of the day, Grant-Thorton are having a tournament this afternoon, they do it every year as well as a curling tournament at the Curling Club. There is only two games tonight in Ellery's tournament but nine on Sunday.
Not much going on here Jan, so must go and get at the cleaning. You guys have a great day, hugs and kisses for the little boys and hi to Tim. Take Care.
Hello Kids and Grand Kids;
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your 2 year anniversary of being in China! I don't know if I have ever told you but in case I didn't, I want you to know that your dad and I are so proud of you for having the courage to take the leap of faith that everything would be ok when you moved half way around the world. You have a blind faith thaat I admire greatly. That's not to say that I don't just hate that you took a great part of my heart when you left, but because of you I got to share a piece of the world with you guys that I would never have had the opportunity to do otherwise.
I would never have gotten to slid down the Great Wall of China on a sled with Nick or biked through the great parks and paddle boated in the lake with Ryan or rode the train to Bejing and stayed inthe wonderful old Chinese hotel and talked to the floks from Austrailia.
I wouldn't have been able to see Panda bears up close and personal. I would not have had the opportunity to meet Lena, Jessica and the boys, and Cloud, the cat lady who lives in the building next to you.
I would not be able to picture the places that you talk about when you go out to dinners, or where Michelin is.
The squatty toilets would not have been a new experience, nor would the fabulous fire works be a memory.I would not have known some of your drivers or the crazy driving and shopping over in China. The exer4cise equipment that scatters throughout the parks for us to play on, and the fake mountain that Nick, Ryan and I picniced on would not be a favourate memory either.
I would not know what the Soul airport was like, or Shanghi either.
I would not have had custom made clothes right from the market to wear or the sunny weather to remember.
I think of Buddy "2", the cat that you let me take to the infamous vet shop for his 3 day stay. You and Tim wrer so patient with me and I thank you.
So kids, Thank You for the wonderful opportunities which you have afforded your mamma, even though we both miss you guys sooooooooo much.
We are looking forward to June and you getting home for awhile!!
Love Mom, Nanny XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX
Jan, I so feel you pain now. We were told 3 years, before our home sold and we were living in a hotel for a month before we flew over. It was a week before we came that the 5,7, 10 years were spoken to us. I think if we had been told that from day one I never would have agreed to this move. So now we have passed our 3 year mark and are maybe half way done, not quite as there is still a few months before that point in Andy's contrac. While we have places to still explore before we leave here, our list is getting pretty well crossed off and we are not looking as forward to seeing more of China as we are about seeing other places away from China, away from the Chinese and their culture that take with them where ever they go. We are at a time now when many of the people we know are leaving to go home or onto new adventures in different countries. I find that their makes me miss home more. I wish we could go home twice a year but with school it's just not possible so we make the most of our 2 months in the summer to run ourselves silly seeing family in 4 states that are not even close to each other. I wish you the best as you reset your clock to the new countdown time. I too never thought I would be raising city kids and James is now begging to not live IN Shenyang but further out. If only Michelin would agree. For the record, 3 years is plenty, I'm ready to go home if for no other reason than to breath clean air and get to see what's outside my windows.
ReplyDelete