Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Peek At North Korea

We have now been living in China for just over two years and I'm sad to say that poor Tim still has not seen the Great Wall.  A year ago Mom and I took the boys to Beijing and had an opportunity to visit the wall at Mutianyu, but Tim had to work and couldn't come along.  Since he unexpectedly has three days off this week (one of them because today is a holiday) we decided it was finally time for him to see China's most famous landmark.

We have two easy options for seeing the Great Wall from Shenyang.  The first is to travel to Beijing like we did last year.  It's a five hour train ride and then a one or two hour drive from the city.  This seemed like a great idea until we learned that the bird flu, which you have probably heard about in the news, has been found there.  I know the chances are very slim that we would get it but one of us is particularly nervous about contracting diseases so that option lost some of its appeal.  The other choice is Dandong, the city where the eastern end of the Great Wall begins and the largest Chinese city that borders North Korea, which has also been in the news a lot lately.  So, it was a toss up between bird flu and North Korea.  We chose North Korea.

Tomorrow morning our driver will pick us up and take us the 250kms to Dandong.  We could have asked him to stay but instead he will return to Shenyang then come back to get us on Saturday.  I need a break from having someone waiting on us and I know enough Chinese now to get around in taxis.  It should be a fun trip in a nice hotel, perhaps with a little room service and swimming.  Plus we will get to see the wall and have a boo at a country that lots of people are curious about but will likely never see.  Sounds interesting to me!

I won't be able to post pictures or update until we get back to Shenyang but I will do a blog as soon as possible.  In the meantime, here are a few pics from this past weekend.  Anna, these are the best blossom pictures I could get that day.






4 comments:

  1. Wow, look at Nick!! He has grown. Enjoy your weekend. Looking forward to some time together soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Erin, the boys sure have grown, what a difference six months makes.

    Looks like spring is on it way in China! Here too, I can see a lot more color on the trees. The buds will be bursting forth in a week or two.

    Sounds like a great weekend for you guys, I am sure you will have a great time. Will look forward to lots of pictures.

    It is warming up here, not as warm as it is in Petawawa, but getting there. We are having a mixture of sun and cloud today but it is still nice out. I am going to try and get out to do some weeding.....it isn't my favorite thing to do but it has to be done at some point.

    It won't be long until you guys are home, we are looking forward to seeing you. I am bringing the girls back from Gagetown with me in July, hope you will still be here I know they would love to see you, Ryan and Nick.

    well Jan, must go and get some lunch and then decided what I am going to do with the rest of my day. You guys have a good trip, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everyone...the boys have grown SO much!!! A year sure makes a difference. Have fun in Dandong! We loved it. You can even enjoy some "dog meat" if you care. We went with James when he visited us and of course he had to!! I know you'll have lots of fun! Thanks for the blossom pics. Looks like it is starting to get nice. I REALLY miss Shenyang in the Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your trip sounds like fun Jan. I will be interested to see the photos cause for sure I will not be visiting North Korea. Great photos of the blossoms and the boys! Just as seasons change we see such changes in our children!

    I am really enjoying our warm spell of weather. Maralee and Grammie were up today cause we were scrapbooking Maralee's wedding photos. She only has one day through the week off every 3 weeks or so so we haven't had a lot of time for it. But we are getting there. It isn't going to take as long as our cruise photos.

    We went over to Harmony Heights on Monday evening cause Hannah and Mackenzie had History projects in the History Fair. Hannah did hers on Stanfields and Mackenzie on the history of the rink. They did very well and were both chosen to go to regionals. Hannah is my niece on my dad's side.

    The Fred Page Cup is being hosted by the Bearcats this year at the new Rath Eastlink Center and we have tickets for all of the games so we are going this afternoon and tonight. I love going to the new Center. It is like going to a city to a game it is so beautiful. Of course we are cheering for the Bearcats. They have had a bit of a struggle but we hope they do well. The final game is on Sunday. There are games all week long. It will keep us busy. Verna and Randy are coming up on Friday night to take in a game with us. They have never been in the new Center so it will be fun showing them around.

    Well must go get the kitchen cleaned up and get ready to go.

    Bye for now and again have a fun weekend in North Korea!

    ReplyDelete