Following that bit of news the two boys and I went outside to play for a while before supper and at the last second before we got into the elevator, Ryan decided he wanted to bring his bike. Earlier this week I took his training wheels off and it's been a battle getting him to try riding without them. I didn't just give him a push and let him go or anything. At first I held onto the bike or his arms then switched to his sweater since he was doing pretty good. Yesterday morning when we were getting ready to head outside, he asked for the training wheels and I refused. He turned his back to the elevator, folded his arms across his chest, furrowed his brow and said, in his sternest voice, "I'm NOT going out without my training wheels". I got into the elevator with his bike and managed to cajole him into coming along. When he got in he said, again very seriously, "Fine. I'll come but I'm NOT riding my bike". We made it outside the building and I asked him to please get on his bike and give it a try. After five minutes of negotiations he got on and told me "Fine. I'll get on but I"m NOT peddling". Well, he did eventually try but it wasn't his best effort.
Fast forward to after school when the three of us went out to play - Nick with his basketball and Ryan with his bike. We got outside the building and Ryan jumped on his bike and, with my help, started peddling over to the large circle surrounding the little fountain/pond. I was trying to run alongside him but there were huge puddles and he wouldn't go around or stop so finally I just let him go. He rode about ten feet before he realized I wasn't holding on anymore and quickly stopped. I then got Nick to use my iPhone as a video camera and he started recording while I set Ryan off again. This time there was no stopping or turning back. He was off on his own two wheeler! We were so excited and proud of our little man. The videos are taking too long to upload so pictures will have to do.
I also went out to lunch yesterday to say goodbye to yet another expat who is leaving Shenyang. I asked Ayi if she could stay with Ryan while I went and she agreed. Before I left I made him a bowl of Kraft Dinner (mac 'n cheese to those non-Canadians) and made an "R" out of ketchup on the top. When I came home two hours later Ayi was trying to tell me something while smiling and making a stirring motion with her hands. I asked Ryan what had happened and it turned out that she had made a grave mistake. Ryan is adamant that his ketchup NOT be stirred into his Kraft Dinner and Ayi, not knowing this, did just that. He told me he was angry with her and she said that he kept saying "Bu hao, Ayi! Bu hao" ("Not good!). I asked if he still ate it and he said he did, but that he also sent Ayi to his room. Say what? She then proceeded to explain that he took her by the hand and pulled her into his room. She was a good sport about the whole thing and seems to think it's pretty cute. In the end they had fun while I was out so that made me happy.
Here are a few pictures from the last week. Enjoy your weekend!
| Mother's Day Breakfast In Bed |
| Playing Baseball In The Park On Mother's Day |
| Ryan was fascinated with this guy doing his tile work. We watched for an hour. |
| Holy Buddhas! |
Hi Jan, I will be interested to know all about Nick's award! Congrats to Ryan on learning to ride his bike with no training wheels. That is a big step for a little guy! And giving Ayi a time out is getting his point across. It made sense to him anyhow! ;0)
ReplyDeleteIt has been very damp and cool here the last few days! I really want the sun to come back. But the grass is really green and my flowers are coming up nicely until the deer find them, then they will be gone.
Love your photo of 'breakfast in bed'! Really cute! I had a wonderful Moms Day, the boys and Angie were here and Ellery and all of them came to church on Sunday since I played bells. It was so nice to have them there and I teared up a few times. I know it is not their thing so it meant a lot to me for them to be there. We all went out for lunch and Jungle Jim's. Then they were here all afternoon and we had a wonderful visit. It was fun!
I have been busy this week with bell practice, choir practice and taking Emma and Hannah to their end of the year party at the Super Eight pool. Maralee is coming in this morning to work on her wedding photos and I am taking Angie around to pass out some resumes. I wanted to take Mom out for Mother's Day supper but she isn't feeling well so that will have to wait until next week. Darlene and I went out this week with the swimming girls to Soup which is a new restaurant in town that is very very good.
I can't really think of any other news right now but I must go and eat my breakfast so I can get ready to go with Angie. Bye for now and have a great weekend also!
Hi Jan, I too will be waiting to hear about Nick's award. Tell Ryan good job on learning to ride his bike without the training wheels! It sure didn't take him long. Putting Ayi in a time out was so cute, she will learn not to mess with him or she will be spending some time in his room.
ReplyDeleteIt has been really cold here the last few days so I have stayed inside where it is a little warmer. Some places had snow on Saturday, we didn't but Shawn did.
We did go to Shawn's for supper Saturday night, it was his birthday supper and it was delicious, BBQ salmon, ribs, kabobs and chicken. Lisa made a spinach dish that was really good and we had small potatoes and corn. She also made an ice cream cake that was very good. We had a great evening.
I went swimming this morning, swam for almost two hours, the water was so nice and warm that I really hated to get out, especially when it was cold outside. I did some sorting this morning, Shawn is taking his buffet hutch so I had to take all my stuff out and I went thru it and got rid of most of it. It was just a place to put anything I had no place to put at my house.
Thought we might open the pool this weekend but it is not going to be too warm all week so I am in no hurry. I hate running the darn thing and not be able to use it. Hopefully it will start to warm up soon.
Kingston Aluminum was here on Friday and put our new fire doors on, ours looks exactly like the door that we had and the others are just plain flat doors, they have to come back on Tuesday to finish up.
well Jan, not much else going on around here, think I will do some more cleaning and a little bit of reading.
Have a great day, hi to the boys and Tim. Take care.
It's been way too long!!! But, I'm glad this is the post I found after a long hiatus. I'm so proud of the boys! They look great! Tell your guys we say hello and send our love. Can we please Skype soon? I'll shoot you an email so we can try to pick a good time. Miss ya'll terribly and think of you guys often. XOXO Jess
ReplyDelete