As you can guess, we've been having some trouble with our Internet, although it's more about the VPN. There have been meetings going on here in China and as a result it's been difficult to get online. It should be cleared up soon though.
Really, you haven't missed too much, mostly because I haven't been going far (see my last post about our driver). Yesterday, however, Ryan and I took the cupcakes we baked to Nicholas's school so he could celebrate his birthday with his classmates. That's right, my little man is 6 big years old! While we were visiting his class sang Happy Birthday to him three times - once each in English, Chinese and Korean. How cool is that? He has a really nice group of kids in his class and was very happy with his celebration at school.
In the evening I made Nick's favorite meal, spaghetti, and we had another mini-cake. Li, our driver, also bought a selection of cake pieces when he realized it was Nick's birthday. On Saturday we will have his party with a few of his closest friends. He's really having a great time with birthday!
Since I haven't been able to go far I started researching our next home trip which, of course, involves a fair bit of travel before we actually get home. I won't get into details now. It'll be a surprise for later.
Last week I managed to get out for one very quick shopping trip and got some Christmas decorations at Ikea. I had ten minutes to load up what I could for fear that there might not be anything left if I wait. My good friend Jessica, who left us last week, was kind enough to give us her Christmas tree so that's one thing I didn't have to worry about.
On Saturday I had a much more relaxing shopping experience at Wuai market of all places! I went there with a new friend to get prizes and treat bag supplies for Nick's party. We also went to the former Minakami's (our favourite Japanese restaurant here) which is now called Aqua Chinese Culture. Everything still looks and tastes the same (thank goodness!) but due to recent tension between the Chinese and Japanese, the name was changed. It doesn't make much difference to us, it's still delicious!
So, I think that's about it for now. Aside from Nicholas playing soccer one day every weekend now, there isn't much new here. It's cold and we have some snow, but it's warm and cozy in our apartment so we're happy. I'll try and write again soon!




Jan as I said in the email, I love the photos and everyone looks like they are having a fun and tasty treat. Ryan just fits right in there like one of the big boys! So cute! Not many people can say they had the "Happy Birthday" song sung in 3 languages. Have a wonderful birthday party Nick! We will be anxiously waiting to see the photos. Bye for now.
ReplyDeleteJan, love the pictures and Nick's class room looks like a lot of fun. They sure are enjoying the cupcakes. Glad to hear you got to go shopping for your Christmas decorations for your first Christmas in China.
ReplyDeleteI have been a little lax in commenting on your blog, I read it on my Ipad but have not been able to comment from my Ipad and then I forget. I am going to get Devin to check it for me and see why it doesn't work from my Ipad.
I am back swimming three times a week and it feels good to be back in the routine.
Will try to be a little quicker in commenting, you guys have a great day, take care.