and interesting, happy and sad - all at the same time. Today is my birthday and it was a pleasant one. Not as exciting as some I've had in the past, but still very nice. I got to spend the day with my littlest man who baked me a flourless chocolate birthday cake, Lena came to give me a massage, I received an amazing "bouquet" of roses from all my boys, found a Christmas card from Canada in my mailbox, received ecards and birthday messages on Facebook and went out for a lovely meal of hotpot. I think the highlight though was an email that I received from my Mom and Dad. They set up their webcam and Dad recorded "Happy Birthday" on his electronic piano. He then played that and his guitar live while the two of them sang to me. It was the best "Happy Birthday" song ever and gave me goosebumps, especially after Dad said that they had to do it a few times because Mom kept getting a little emotional. I have seen my Mom on almost every birthday and this will be the first Christmas that we have been apart. It's hard to be happy and sad at the same time but at least I know it's not forever. We will be seeing each other in June for an amazing trip. And, next year for my birthday, I plan to be in Hong Kong. Mom and Dad, I think you guys should meet us there! In the meantime, thank you so much for the wonderful gift. I think it's one of the nicest I've ever received and just think, if I wasn't living in China you might not have made the video at all. So, in a way, it's good to be away. It makes us appreciate our time together that much more.I love you and miss you both!
 |
| The boys actually enjoyed their first hotpot experience. Ryan even ate the green stuff (spinach!). |
 |
| Nicholas wearing his new school sweater. Ryan hid under the table for this one. |
 |
| My flourless chocolate cake! Yum! |
 |
| I've only every seen a flower arrangement this big at a funeral. |
In other news, the kids and I tried baking shortbread cookies using rice flour. I borrowed cookie cutters and a rolling pin and we got to work making fun shapes. Unfortunately, the reindeer cutter was quite difficult to use (the legs, tail and antlers kept coming off) and perhaps our dough wasn't the right consistency. Ryan was almost in tears by the tenth attempt at getting a fully-intact reindeer. It was like an episode of Good Baking Gone Bad. Eventually the boys gave up and I just used other cutters to quickly fill up two cookie sheets with snowmen, trees, stars and gingerbread men. I popped them in the oven and went back to check about eight minutes later. To my horror, the dough had all melted and mushed together and there were no recognizable shapes. It looked like cat food, the really disgusting kind. According to Tim and Nick it still tasted okay, but I couldn't stand to look at it so I threw it out. Yesterday I purchased some Cake Flour (whatever that is) and am hoping to give it another go soon.
 |
| This was taken before things went horribly wrong. I love the looks on their faces. Not loving my look so much - Sunday morning with no shower. |
We still have our little house guest, Lucy, and although our record for getting her outside to potty hasn't been good, she is doing well and the kids are loving having her around. Ryan especially enjoys playing with her during the day when Nick's at school.
 |
| Her new rubber chicken. |
Yesterday, Ryan and I checked out a new mall. We only made it as far the bottom floor but it was really decorated up nicely. By the time we left Ryan was wound up with Christmas excitement.
Well, I think that's it for now. I am lazy and must relax so I can get to sleep soon. Have a great day everyone!
Happy Birthday Jan! I had to call Darlene to find out the exact date but having read your blog I would have known anyway. I guess you have already celebrated it and you had a great one. What an amazing bouquet of roses!
ReplyDeleteEllery and I haven't celebrated our birthday's here at home yet because we have both been so busy. We are going to wait until Feb. or Mar. and then go out to supper for our birthdays and our anniversary. Dec is so crazy!
Mom and I went down to visit Elaine and Helen yesterday. It was a beautiful day and we had a wonderful visit. They celebrated my birthday and gave me some beautiful gifts. It was a really fun day! We ate from the time we got there until we left. We had so many goodies!
There are lots of poinsettas at the mall you and Ryan visited. It must take someone quite a bit of time just to keep them watered.
Ellery helped me get my tree decorated tonight and my tree up in our green room. They both look really nice. I have a few touch-ups to do but done for the most part. It was great to have his help.
We went up for Hayden's teams photos tonight and got those done. That is the last one I am taking for this year. I have 4 teams now to do but I won't be getting them all done for Christmas. I have a few booked for January. We've done about 24 teams now and I usually do around 50 so we have them half done.
Well must go and watch some TV before bed. Have a great day. Bye for now!
Missed this one Jan, read when you posted and then got busy and forgot to comment. I hear you had a great birthday. Love the photos, and that is quite a flower arrangement you have there.
ReplyDeleteMust move on to your late4st blog, read it last night on my Ipad but didn't get to the computer to comment.