Sunday, December 23, 2012

Merry Christmas From China!

I started this post two days ago but got distracted and am just now getting back.  Between the dog and the kids I've been a little busy.  Nicholas finished school on Thursday and Tim's last day of work was Friday.  Now that we are all home together it can get a bit crowded in our apartment, but we're doing okay.  At least now Tim and I can share taking Lucy out to do her business, although we still haven't gone a full day without cleaning something off the floor.  We're just not very good at this pet thing.

Today we baked some shortbread cookies and our second attempt turned out better than the first.  They are edible anyway.  Tonight we went to get some groceries and had planned on going for supper then to Zhong Jie (Middle Street) to look at Christmas lights and get pictures of the decorations but, as usual, things didn't go as planned.  Nicholas had both a head and belly ache so we cut our trip short, only getting the groceries.  He might have a little bit of a bug, I wasn't feeling the greatest today either, but so far we haven't had anything major.  So unfortunately we don't have any pictures to show but I can assure you that they do decorate for Christmas here.  Everything I've seen has been in the daytime so there were no lights on, but I can guarantee that they are there.  The Chinese love their pretty lights!

For Christmas Eve we are going to hang out with some new friends and enjoy some holiday cheer.  I have asked if and how the Chinese celebrate Christmas and I've been told that they use it as an excuse to have big sales and a party-like atmosphere on the major shopping streets with the stores being open all night.  We won't see any of that and will stay close to home for Christmas Day and Boxing Day (December 26th to non-Canadians).

I guess that's about all I have for now.  I'm sleepy and have a couple more presents to wrap so I must get on that.  I need to wait until the boys are asleep and they are pretty much bouncing off the walls and having trouble settling down.  Only two more sleeps, thank goodness!

To all of you, wherever you are in this world, I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to all of you! I hope you and Nick are over your bug soon.

    We were very happy to get to Julia's performance on skates in the Nutcracker at the Stadium. It was very well done and the kids all did wonderful. I had never been to a figure skating show at our Stadium. They put so much work into preparing the performance and it was great that so many came to watch and support them.

    Dev and Sam are going to spend Christmas Eve with her parents and grandmother in Bridgewater and then coming up here on Christmas Day. Stefan and Angie will be staying at their mini home on Christmas Eve and then coming down here in the afternoon so we will wait until we can all be together to open our gifts. It is more fun! We will be going up to Darlene's on Christmas Eve for supper and then up to Andy's after that for a while. On Christmas Day Darlene and Carl are having their brunch and Christmas dinner so there are lots of things to look forward to. We are all very blessed.

    I guess when you get this it will be Christmas Eve and you will be celebrating Christmas Day before us so we wish you and Tim and your boys a very special Christmas! And a big Christmas hug from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas you guys, I can imagine how excited the kids were. Glad to hear that the second attempt at the cookies worked out. You are very persistent, I think I would have given up after the first try.

    We had a very busy Christmas as usual, but it was nice. We had 22 for Christmas Eve. Everyone was gone by 7:00, some had church to get to and others were moving on to visit others. We went up to your Mom and Dads and had a great visit.

    Christmas Brunch, which is my favorite went very well, 16 of us had a great feed and then we moved on to Christmas Dinner. We had 18 and it was great. Our guest list was smaller this year, with Shawn being away, and Devin and Sam only here for Christmas Dinner. Things change and we just have to follow along.

    I hope to get down to visit Viv today and tonight I am going to try and get up and see Stefie and Angie's tree. Stefie leaves on Wednesday or Thursday for PEI and we probably won't get to see him for a few months. It is going to be really strange around here with him gone. I am going to miss him.

    We are supposed to get some snow and ice pellets sometime today so I think I will go to Viv's this morning.

    You guys have a great New Year's and I guess you will celebrate the Chinese New Year as well.

    love to you all, take care.

    ReplyDelete