Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Happy Birthday Nicholas!

Today is my sweet little boy's birthday and he is now seven-years-old!  Because this is a school day we had a party for him this past Saturday and it was really fun.  Instead of having everyone over to our apartment we decided to go to an indoor play place.  I like this one because it's huge, it's in an almost deserted mall and there is usually very few kids playing there.  They also have an area near the entrance with tables and chairs for about a dozen kids - a feature that most places do not have.  It was perfect!

Since Nick decided he wanted a Spider-Man themed birthday I brought plates, cups, napkins, etc. from Canada and attempted to make a Spider-Man mask cake.  The video on YouTube made it look super easy so I gave it a try.  Well, there were several important components lacking such as proper ingredients, baking/decorating supplies and ability.  In the end it became a green Spider-Man (there actually is such a thing, Google it!) and although Nicholas was happy with it, I was less than enthused about the result.  Oh well, you can't win 'em all!

Here are some pictures from Saturday:



This poor octopus took a beating.


What a couple cuties!



Tim keeping the kids in line...




Lots of room to run!

Nick really was happy, just a little warm I think:).


Waiting patiently for cake.


It's so difficult to get everyone...

to smile (or even look) at the same time.

I have no idea what Ryan was up to.

Handing out cake and ice cream



Here's one way to make a kid's birthday - give him Canadian money!

Ryan was a little excited about the presents.
After the party we ordered pizza and enjoyed the evening.  The next day we had a messy kitchen to clean up then Tim took the boys to soccer while I had a whole three hours to myself at home.  That has never happened here before!  The air was clear so I went for a walk in the park then relaxed with a tea.

Yesterday, to add to the fun week, Nick got his report and he had very good marks.  He's doing well with everything but grammar and handwriting (he really needs to slow down) and especially well in Chinese class.  He's getting really good at reading and writing characters.  Today I sent him to school with little treats for his whole class and this afternoon I will go there for parent teacher conferences.  Tonight we are going to Nick's favorite restaurant - Hai Di Lao - for some hot pot then we'll come home and have some banana bread/cake for dessert.  It's been a great birthday for my not-so-little man.

Only a little over three weeks and we will be on our way back to Canada for Christmas.  We can hardly wait and are counting down the days!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Nick! Jan, what a fabulous place to have a birthday party. The kids looked like they were having a ball. I think your Spide-Man Mask Birthday cake looked great.and the important thing was that Nick was happy with it.

    Great that you were able to have some time to yourself, I know that doesn't happen very often for you. We all need some time to ourselves to do whatever we want.

    Nick is a smart little boy and I am not surprised that he is doing well in school, the grammar and handwriting will come. I think little boys tend to rush to get things done so they have it behind them and they can concentrate on boy fun stuff.

    It is chilly here today, sun is shining for a change, a nice pre-winter day!

    I went swimming this morning and the water was a little cool. Apparently the boiler blew up on the weekend and they are having a bit of trouble getting it repaired. It had better be warmer tomorrow or I won't be swimming.

    Hard to believe that we are almost half way through November and you will be home in a few weeks. The time is going by so quickly it is hard to keep up, sometimes I would like things to slow down so I can really enjoy what is going on around me.

    Well Jan, must get moving, want to go to town this morning and get some shopping done. I am terrible at putting things off and I soon will be out of time.

    Hugs for the boys and hi to Tim. Love you guys, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Nick! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Nick! Happy Birthday to you! There now I sung happy birthday to you! ;o) You really did your birthday up "Spiderly"! Love the cake Jan, I don't know what you were concerned about, it is amazing! Looks like everyone really enjoyed their day.

    I am sitting here at the computer in the green room we call it and it is soooo chilly! Ellery is going to install a heat pump at some point for us in this room but he has been very busy lately. Update: he just left to go flood and he said he was picking it up this week in order to put it in this weekend Yay for me! I will love it out here cause it is so very cold! I am really not fond of the cold any more! ;o( I also don't appreciate the sun leaving me every day at 4:30 - 5pm. Jerry and I got out for a walk today after I did my hockey cards. It is that time of year again and I am so pleased that I am still getting the business for hockey photos. I know the cards make a huge difference cause I don't think anyone else offers it.

    So glad to hear that Nick is doing well at school! Congrats to Nick!

    I guess I will go and get some supper as I have a SAC meeting tonight and choir practice after that. Thanks for all the great photos and stories!

    Bye for now! Squeezie hugs to everyone!

    ReplyDelete