While I was away Tim took the boys to a Halloween Party hosted by the International Club of Shenyang (ICS). They had a great time playing games and "didn't get too much candy". Nicholas has started taking Taekwondo after school and wanted to wear his outfit for a costume. Ryan wore the only costume we had that fit him - Buzz Lightyear.
For the real Halloween which fell on Thursday night, I decided we wouldn't do anything. I assumed the boys would have forgotten about it but, thanks to kids at school, that wasn't so. As I was getting supper ready Nicholas asked me what we were doing for Halloween and proceeded to tell me what another family was doing. Oops! I ate quickly and while the boys finished their supper, I threw together what I could. Luckily I have a stash of treats from past holidays that no one else knows about. I grabbed some of that as well as a few of the very expensive Reese Peanut Butter Cups I got at the airport in Seoul and went to work. I took the pumpkins the kids had carved (thanks to Tina who babysat while I was away) and put them outside the bathroom and bedroom doors. At another door I put this creepy jack-o-lantern doorbell that bites you when you press the button.
![]() |
| Ryan and Olivia carving their pumpkins. |
When the boys were done eating I told them to get dressed up in their outfits and grab a treat bag. This time Ryan had a ninja costume I found for him in Tokyo. I turned off all the lights and told them to go to the kitchen while I lit up their pumpkins. They visited the bathroom and bedroom doors which were answered by three different people (who all looked a lot like their mother). First, SpiderMom gave them some marshmallow candies, then Canadian Hat Mom gave them candy canes and finally TranforMom gave them peanut butter cups. Strangely enough, they loved it and thought it was pretty cool. They were especially excited about the candy canes and Nicholas hounded me for hours wanting to know where I got them.
After our "Trick or Treating" we watched Halloween movies and ate candy. It was fun.
As we sat watching our movies there was a knock at the door. I assumed it was Tim coming home from work and, knowing he was on his way, I had unlocked the door so he could get in. I yelled that it was open but when the door opened it wasn't Tim after all. We had Halloween visitors and one of them was pretty scary!
Anna and Dave were kind enough to bring us Halloween cupcakes and treat bags for the boys. Can you tell Ryan is a little high on sugar?? He was pretty nervous of the gorilla and would only get in the picture if he could stand by the Anna the Goode Witch.
So, the boys had another unexpectedly fun Halloween in China thanks in great part to the wonderful expat community we have here. Life is full of little surprises.
On Friday Ryan and I went out to find some socks for Tim and decided to check out a somewhat new mall. We found one floor of play places and arcades, indoor go carts on another and finally bowling on the sixth. We had time for one quick game and it was a lot of fun. The place was still clean and the shoes were even quite nice.
Since we had so much fun bowling, it was decided that we would go again on Saturday and take Nicholas and Tim with us this time. First the kids had soccer on Saturday morning (Ryan is playing this year!) then we were off to the mall. It was great fun and afterward we ate at Pizza Hut. Eating out here is always an experience - attempting to order and get what we want then trying to relax while people stare. Anyway, we made it through then headed home. Saturday night we had company for supper then on Sunday we relaxed while playing games and watching movies. The air quality has been lousy here lately and we are very excited to get back to Nova Scotia for Christmas and a breath of fresh air.


Oh Jan, I think you really enjoy challenges! You have such an imagination and can make a fun time out of nearly nothing and Hallowe'en was no different. The photos are so cute of the boys and they had such a great time!
ReplyDeleteI was pleased with our Hallowe'en. I only had 20 trick or treaters but I enjoyed every minute of it. It was a beautiful evening for being outside and going house to house so it wasn't too cold for the kids.
I had a small birthday party on Sunday for my Mom with our family and we had so much fun! We played games and just acted silly which sometimes you can only do with your own family cause they love you no matter what! Dev and Sam came up from Halifax and Stef and Angie were here and they stayed to visit after the party with us and Mom. So it was a great day! Then Michele, Mom and I went to the Downtown Truro Fashion Show last night which we truly enjoyed. Mom and I haven't been there in years and Michele has never been so it was a new experience for her but nothing really changed a lot except the clothes. There were still some of the same models and the same MC. It was a nice night out with lots of laughs!
Ellery and I got over and closed up the cottage last week and it really won't be long until we open it up again. Time just goes by so fast.
It will be Christmas soon and then I will get some squeezie hugs which I can hardly wait for! ;o) It will be fun to have you guys here for Christmas and I will get to spend some time with you and the boys!
Thanks for sharing your Hallowe'en fun! Bye for now and have a great week!
The boys have certainly inherited your imagination Jan and it sounds like they had a great Halloween. I love their costumes and the pictures are really cute.
ReplyDeleteI am not doing Halloween next year, the only kids we had were Hayden, Kenzie, Emma and her friend Sidney and Brandyn.
We had a great weekend, Darren, Trish and girls came home Friday night. They were here in time for skating, the girls were so excited that they could skate and work in the canteen. On Saturday we took them to the RECC for swimming. Hayden came with us, Kenzie wasn't feeling good so he missed out this time. We all went to Shawn and Lisa's for turkey dinner Saturday night.
Paige, Kait, Hayden and Kenzie were on the ice for an hour on Sunday then they played out on the trampoline for awhile. We had an early supper and they left for home around 4:30. It was a fun weekend and we really enjoyed having everyone together.
I plan to go up to Darren's for the girls Christmas concerts, one is on the 11 of December and the other is on the 16th. I will have to stay for the week and am hoping to get over to see Marj while I am there.
We too are looking forward to having you guys home for Christmas and the way time is flying by it won't be long before you are here. We will have to see if we can get the kids out to the new pool for a swim while you are here and the girls are here and maybe some ice time as well.
Must go and get ready for bed and do some reading, have a great day. Hugs for the boys and hi to Tim. Take care.