Sunday, June 12, 2011

How Many Chinese People Does It Take To Catch A Rooster?

It was a beautiful Sunday here is Shenyang and I made the most of it when I finally got up at 10:30.  Without getting into details it wasn't the first time I was up since I went to bed last night.  I don't want to bore everyone with more tales of my kids not sleeping well.

After some breakfast I took the boys outside.  It had rained quite a bit last night so there were lots of puddles for them to play in with their new squirt guns.  They also had fun digging in the sandpit with Ali and checking out the snails she had found.







Ryan had to go in for a nap so Nicholas and I decided to walk up to Carrefour and buy a few more sand toys.  They were in desparate need of a bucket.  As we were walking out of Eastern Venice we came across two people trying to catch a rooster.  You never know what you will see in China.  Anyway, we decided to stop and watch and so did a couple of other people who wanted to help.






They just got the thing cornered and it made a run for it.



Another attempt.


At this point I thought I should use video and I just got it on in time.  So how many Chinese people does it take to catch a rooster?  Only one, if he's really quick.



In the afternoon we had guests for dinner, Tian Ye and his girlfriend, Yu.  I can't describe how to pronounce her name because, as far as I know, there is no sound in the English language that resembles it; but I know it means 'rain'.  The unusual thing about these guests is that they brought the food and cooked it all by themselves in our kitchen.  They were in there for about an hour and while they cooked we entertained ourselves with a mini foosball table that Tian Ye and Yu bought for the boys.  It was great fun and they couldn't get enough of it.



Tian Ye and Yu made a beautiful meal and I stuffed myself.  Here are some pictures of their dishes:

Tomato, Egg and Garlic.  It was yummy!

Mystery fish and a very tasty sauce.

Chicken wings cooked in Coca-cola and Soy Sauce.  These were my favorite!
Green beans in some sort of sauce.  Also tasty.

They are a really cute couple.
After supper we played some more foosball and a little air hockey.  The kids had fun with Tian Ye and Yu.



When they left the kids and I headed back outside while Tim cleaned up the kitchen.  Again today I think I got the better end of that deal; but, he offered.  On our way in I spied this poor little dog and had to get a picture.  If only he could talk!



I think one of his buddies was a little taken aback while the other was afraid to look at him for fear of laughing in his face.


 
So that was our day.  It was another successful week here and I still can't believe how fast they are going by.  Let's see what this week will bring!

3 comments:

  1. Your meal looks delicious! I love the photos. Eggs, tomato and garlic, what a combination.Looks like the foosball table was a hit also. The video of the rooster entrapment won't work so I will have to watch it later but the photos are cute. We went to the cottage today to mow and whipper snip the grass. Actually Dev and Ellery mowed and whipper snipped while Liz and I walked on the beach. It was beautiful over there and we had a really nice long walk. Another great day for us. Bye for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan I had three days of reading to catch up on, Marj doesn't have a computer so I couldn't catch your blog. I bet Nick loved the water slides, I know how much he loves the water. You will have to put a homing device on Ryan so you can keep tabs on him. He is so quick and very independent. Glad I wasn't with you in the change room, I like my privacy when undressing!
    Sounds like you had good day with Celine looking for pools. Hopefully you will find what you are looking for and something close to home. Nice that you will get a chance to go back to the fabric market, are you still looking for curtain material?
    I can't imagine chasing a rooster around the sidewalk, not something we would see around here.
    Your meal with Tian Ye and Yu looks delicious. And it seems that everyone enjoyed the football game.
    Loved the pictures as usual, thought the little dogs were cute.
    We had a great weekend. The wedding was beautiful, very simple and small, just family and close friends. Sue and Richard looked very happy and relaxed. I went to school with Sue's Aunt Janet, I haven't seen here since we left school in grade 11, she went on to University and I went back to take my grade 12. She was at the wedding and it was great to see her. We hung around together at school, not so much outside of school as she lived in Fort Belcher and we had no way of getting back and forth. We had a great visit and exchanged phone Nos, email addresses etc. She and her husband now live in Liverpool, so will have to take a trip down. Sunday we visited with Marj, went out for dinner and paid a visit to Costco. It was a nice weekend and the weather was great.
    Hope you have a great Tuesday, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a bit of catching up to do too! I love reading about your adventures and seeing your photos. Looks like you have found some amazing places for the boys to play! You look wonderful Jan.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete