Friday, March 9, 2012

One Night In Bangkok

Sorry! Couldn't help myself.

*I'm having some trouble getting the photos to load the way I want them to with the iPad so the pics on his one will all be at the end and very out of order. I will try to do captions after I get it uploaded.*

So we made it to Bangkok last night with two smooth flights on Korean Air. The boys were awesome, well behaved and helpful. I must say though, it is nice having another adult to help with luggage and bathroom trips. Anyway, the line at customs was pretty long and Ryan fell asleep in my arms while we waited. It was hot carrying him around! When we got to the immigration officer he informed us that we could have gone to the priority line. Oh well, we'll know for next time.

After collecting our luggage then stopping at an ATM (we brought no Thai Baht with us!), we made our way down a funky escalator to the lower floor and found a taxi. It was all very organized and the people were pleasant. The drive to the hotel was good and we got to see some interesting buildings with pretty lights. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any pictures since Ryan was still asleep on me.

We spent the night at the Novotel Ploenchit and for the price we paid we were very impressed. The most interesting part of the modern looking room was the shower. The only thing separating it and the bathroom from the rest of the room was a glass wall. I'm not exactly sure what the reasoning behind this was, but luckily there was a screen we could lower with a switch. I really don't feel the need to show off my person while I shower.

We had a pretty good sleep despite the fact that there was only one king bed and a chaise that Nicholas volunteered to sleep on. In the morning we got to have a look at the city in the daylight and noticed a pool right outside our window on the edge of the building. Too bad we didn't have time to try it out. Instead we went to an amazing continental breakfast. There was a massive amount of food including custom omlettes and a variety of Western and Asian breakfast items. We filled our bellies then collected our belongings and grabbed another taxi back to the airport. On this drive I had a better opportunity to take pictures and see enough to know that we definitely need to come back and explore this city at some point in the future. Our taxi driver was friendly but at one point he waved to the people in the taxi next to us then rolled down his window and asked them how much their driver was charging them. Weird.

One interesting site on this drive was the motorcycle taxis. These guys wear colored vests to identifiy themselves and there are literally thousands of them taxiing people, one-by-one, around the city. Pretty cool!

I also have to mention the statues and signs on the way to the airport. They were beautiful! There is so much color and a lot of pride taken in their decorating, even if it's just along the highway.

We arrived at the airport early so were able to hang out for a while at the Bangkok Aireays passenger lounge and had an opportunity to check out their airport vehicles. The boys loved this.

We went to our gate when it was time to board and I pointed out to the boys what I thought was our plane. We soon realized though that the people boarding in front of us weren't making their way to that plane, but instead to a bus. We were being shuttled out to our plane which made the boys much happier. They've been wanting to travel somewhere on a bus so they got their wish.

Although very pretty, It turned out to not be the nicest airplane but the food was quite good. Really it didn't matter a whole lot since we no sooner got our food and they started the descent. The flight was only one hour long.

I think I will end this blog here and start another with our arrival at Koh Samui. I hope you enjoyed the pictures.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Guys; glad to see that you arrived in fine shape. Look at that angel sleeping, is he ever wiped out! Skype when you can. Oh, if you want some entertaainment get on utube and type in snowball It is halarious. Talk later Ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures Jan!!! Nice to see Ryan's little face in at least one of them. It was fun watching the boys swimming this morning (our time) and your vacation spot is absolutely beautiful. It looks so quiet and peaceful and you guys looked so relaxed. I know you are having a wonderful time. I am looking forward to more pictures, maybe you can put them on a DVD and we can have a show next time you come home.
    I have to go downstairs in a few minutes, our last weekend of Minor Hockey, YEA!!!!!
    Have a great day, hopefully you will get that Elephant ride your are looking for.
    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I am doing this backwards. I already commented on your next blog. Very interesting photos and I can tell the boys are excited. Ryan of course is pooped but Nick looks like he was going strong. Cute! Glad you are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete