Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Princess For A Day

Yesterday ended up being a jammy day.  I had my Chinese lesson in the morning (for two long hours!) and then a massage in the afternoon.  In between the kids and I worked on a 350 piece Simpsons puzzle, part of which Caroline was here for.  It was almost destroyed on a couple of occasions but we managed to keep her from pulling it completely apart.  We finished it around 6:30, just before Tim got home from work.  The rest of the evening was spent trying to get the kids to sleep.

Today Ryan was up early and when I wouldn't get out of bed to do something on the computer for him he went off and woke Nicholas.  He managed to help Ryan with his problem but then had one of his own so he bugged me until I got up.  It turned out to be a good thing because it was a beautiful day with blue skies, I believe the first one since Mom left.  We had breakfast then got ready and went outside.  After going to the store for bananas and apples we ventured over to the red playground.  Right next to it there is a raised area with a trellis and benches.  Around part of this area there is a 'moat' and bridge.  For almost two hours I was Princess Cala (from the Gummi Bears) while my knights, Sir Ryan and Sir Nicholas, defended me and my castle from the dreaded ogres.  I sat on a bench doing important royal work on my iPod while they kept very busy.  It was cool but sunny and a glorious day for sitting outside.  Eventually the princess had to pee and we were getting hungry so we came inside for a royal lunch and rest.  I tried to get Ryan to sleep while Nicholas read but it didn't work.  We hung out for a bit then went back out to my castle for more ogre-fighting.  Eventually the boys made me a leaf lunch and we sat down on some rocks to eat.  An older Chinese lady came and sat down with us.  She and I ended up talking for about forty minutes, all in Chinese.  I didn't understand everything but she was really patient and tried to use different words that I might know and some charades.  Some of it I pretended not to understand because she was questioning me about Nicholas, school and the time he would miss while we were in Canada.  A lot of people here just don't get the idea of not sending your child off to be cared for (not necessarily taught anything) by someone else.  Some people do but they are in the minority.

When it started to get cold we said goodbye to the lady, after helping her up off her rock, and headed inside.  The kids got a warm bath then we had milkshakes and dark chocolate while watching Christmas shows.  After supper the boys went to bed without a peep.  I think their day of saving me from ogres wore them out.  It's wonderful.  Now I just have to get to bed at a reasonable time.  Last night I had trouble getting to sleep, most likely due to all the exciting stuff coming up in the next few weeks and months.  So much to think about!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a very 'Royal' day. It's great to have such loyal knights to take care of you! And it must have been a big job! You must be doing very well with your new language lessons to be able to carry on a conversation for that amount of time. And with the subject of school, nice to be able to play dumb! Darlene and I went swimming today. It is beautiful and sunny here as well. Ellery and Stefan are getting quite a bit of the skirting done on Tricia's trailer. They hope to have it finished this week. It is amazing but there are still tons of trees here with the leaves still green and intact. Usually by Hallowe'en the leaves are all underfoot but not so this year. I just had my breakfast so I must go get some things done. Have a great day Princess Cala and your knights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to spend the day! And to be so well protected in your castle by two shining knights and then to have a royal lunch to top it all off, amazing!
    I managed to get all my outdoor plants, ornaments and lights put away today. I also started cleaning the sun porch, it has become a place to put things that I can't find a place for. Although I worked on it most of the day it is far from finished. Will do some more tomorrow.
    Stevie and the boys were here for supper, this is bell night for Tracy. I read for a bit after they left, then I filled the tub with warm water and put in a 1/2 cup of epsom salts and had a good soak. I am now headed to bed.
    I have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning, not my favorite place to go.
    Have a great day, take care.

    ReplyDelete