Monday, October 31, 2011

So Long October

A "Happy Halloween" to those who are celebrating today.  We are not!  Although they do sell decorations and candy here just for Halloween, as far as I know if we were to dress up and go knocking on our neighbors doors we would likely be arrested.  The kids did receive a couple of treat bags from Jessica and Anna (very sweet, ladies!) so they haven't been too deprived.  Truth be told though, once they had enough for one day I hid the rest and they never asked about it again.  I was thinking of saving it for the flights but I'm not sure I want to do that to myself, the flight attendants or the other passengers on the plane.  I will distribute it slowly when the boys need a treat.

Speaking of treats, this morning I had a very delightful one.  Ryan slept in until 8:30!  He was sleeping in the bed with me after getting up to pee in the night (good thing too since I have started taking the pull-ups off at night again) but he didn't wake up even when Tim was getting ready for work.  It was glorious!  Ayi showed up shortly after we arose and was really chatty today.  I only understood half of what she said but that's about ten times as much as I did six months ago, so we are making progress.  I have my Chinese lesson tomorrow and didn't cancel this time so hopefully I can concentrate long enough to learn something new.  Nicholas and I are both getting excited about going home and to Florida so we are having trouble concentrating on anything for very long.

We decided that since I had to go to Carrefour for laundry soap that it would be a good day for Happy City.  The boys played for a little while then were getting hungry for sushi so we left with the intention of returning after some lunch.  We did go back to eat there but once I told the boys that Anna had called earlier to tell me that she had something for them, they quickly abandoned the idea of any more Happy City and we were off to Anna and Dave's.  The boys were super excited and so pleased with their candy bags.  Ryan ate about ten chocolate eyeballs and Nicholas had a great time with his pop-rockets.  Even better than the candy (I think) was the opportunity they had to play with Dave's remote control monster truck.  It didn't have any batteries so couldn't run, but they didn't care.  They loved pushing it around, up and down the stairs.  Ryan also really enjoyed Anna's porch swing with Nicholas pushing him.  The two of them are getting along so well lately with very little fighting.  It's really nice.

When we made it home in the afternoon I got the boys showered then had some lunch before opening my barbershop.  Nicholas needed some touching up on his last haircut and Ryan needed a full one.  Despite all the chocolate and sugar they were able to sit still long enough for me to get it done without cutting anyone.  Of course, a new Diego Saves Christmas episode on the tv helped.

Speaking of Christmas, it's getting closer!  It is probably my favorite time of year and I started a couple of weeks ago listening to festive music and putting on the occasional Christmas special for the kids.  I am loading up their iPods with lots of good shows for the long flights home.  Maybe I will even get a chance to watch one or two when they are sleeping.

It's amazing what you can do and buy over the internet.  I have been purchasing lots of Christmas presents and having them sent to Mom's so they will be there when I arrive but today I bought something else I will enjoy when I get home - blueberries!  My cousin is selling them for her son's hockey team and I love to have blueberries in my milkshakes so I ordered and paid for two boxes.  It's as easy as an email money transfer and I love it.  I can spend money on anything from anywhere!  Should anyone else in the Truro area be interested in buying some let me know and I will send you the info.

Tonight I was getting my veggie stir-fry ready when I got a call from Tim who was on his way home from work.  He and Tian Ye had been involved in a minor accident.  Luckily no one was injured and although the van has some damage to the front corner and side, it was the fault of the other driver so they will be paying for it.  Some Einstein decided to pull a u-turn where he wasn't supposed to and clipped them.  Tian Ye arranged for someone else to come and get Tim to drive him home while he waited for the police.  He's very considerate and felt bad even though it wasn't his fault.

So, that's all the excitement here.  I was listening to Christmas music while I surfed the net but had to turn it off so I could concentrate on writing.  Now I'm done so I can go back to enjoying my tunes.  I hope everyone back in Canada and the US has a safe and scary Halloween with lots of spookiness.  Goooood Eeevening (insert scary voice)!




2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the boys got a treat for Hallowe'en. We don't have very many kids here anymore. There have been 3 so far and it is 7pm. I never have more than 25. Just had to answer the door again. 3 more kiddies. Hope to get lots more. It is very cold this evening but the kids don't seem to mind. We have college students around this evening collecting for the Food Bank. I think it is a great idea. If you go on to a website once you donate and let them know how much you donated Loblaws will donate an extra $10. They should do very well. I was up to see Dev and Liz's and they have it decorated really cool. Lots of creepy stuff. She made special Hallowe'en cupcakes for the special kids. So you are getting into the spirit of Christmas. It's a little early for me but we are practicing for our Christmas Contata at church so I guess I am kinda getting into the spirit also. Sorry to hear about the mishap with the van but glad no one was injured. I'm surprised by the way you have expressed that they drive in China that it hasn't happened sooner. Well must go get ready for more ghosts and goblins. Bye for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Halloween, even tho you are not celebrating. I only had 5 kids, Hayden, Kenzie, Emma and her friend and Emma Cormier. I miss the little boys coming down. Now I have all these treats to get rid of. Hayden and I stopped in to your Mom and Dads tonight, she gave him the little helicopters, they were going to go home and try them. She also ordered a box of blueberries.
    I purchased a new filing cabinet today, it is a wooden one instead of metal. I managed to get it all put together myself, but had to take one side off because I put the center brace and the bottom on upside down. It is now all together and full of my files.
    Sheryl and I did get swimming this morning, the water was really warm which is what I needed today.
    You are very smart getting a head start on your Christmas shopping. I have a little bit done, the little girls are done, I know what I am getting For Darren and Tricia and I have 4 or 5 things, just haven't decided who they are for.
    Well Jan, it is almost bed time so will scoot for now. Have a great day, take care.

    ReplyDelete