Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday's Shopping Success

Yesterday we couldn't go too far since Tian Ye needed most of the day off for a wedding.  We did go outside to play for quite a while then came in to get supper ready.  I thought I was going to have to make my first attempt at stewing tomatoes but as it turned out the canned ones I bought with the skins removed were good enough for the casserole.  Since I was cooking it anyway it didn't really matter.  Bonus!  Tim went to the grocery store while I stayed home with the boys and started preparing the rest of the supper and dessert.  Gary and Dawn came over a little after five o'clock and, as usual, our boys were wound up and really excited to have company.  They gave them a tour and showed them our photo albums.  We had a nice supper and conversation and I even ended up selling my Kindle to Dawn.  I hadn't planned on getting rid of it but when I have time to read I'm too tired and when I have the energy there are too many other things to do.  She was looking for something to take with her when she leaves China.  They and several other expats will be leaving in December for the next part of their adventure, a year or so in Brazil.

Today, with the money from my kindle and some other stash, we went out shopping for Christmas presents.  I can't go into too much detail on here but it was a great success and I even found a few things I didn't know I was looking for.  We also ended up getting two new suitcases, carry-on size since the only one we had went home with Mom.  We got a really good deal in the building that houses the fabric market.  The boys were so well behaved that we spent most of the day out shopping around.  It was lots of fun.

I mentioned on Friday night that Tim was out for dinner with some people from work.  He ended up sitting at a table with several Chinese employees who really enjoy their beer.  They all get a glass full then holler, "Ganbei!" (Cheers!) and chug it.  This had gone on for a bit when Tim needed a break so he went to the bathroom.  While there a guy asked him where he was from and when Tim told him Canada he started going on about how much he loved Canada (although he had never been there).  Tim, who was feeling pretty good, replied that he really likes China, the city we live in and the people here.  When he said that the guy grabbed him by the arm and took him to the room where his party was going on.  He told everyone who Tim was, handed him a beer and "Ganbei!" again.  They wanted him to stay and drink more but I guess he's getting a little old for that stuff.  He said "Xiexie", told them again how much he likes China and made a quick exit.  He said it was lots of fun though and the food was pretty tasty.  We will have to go try it sometime!

Only three weeks left before we hit the road.  I'm slowly getting things ready to go.  In just over one week we will be helping to welcome a new family from the US to Shenyang and we are pretty excited about that.  It's too bad we will be leaving soon after for two months but it will be nice to finally meet Jessica, Samuel, Elijah and baby Nicholas.  Chris we have already had over for dinner twice so he's old news now!  Just kidding, Chris, will be happy to see you again.  I just hope you don't have any head injuries by then.

I guess that's it for tonight.  Everyone's pretty worn out so it will be an early night.  Have a great day everyone!


4 comments:

  1. Jan you will miss Dawn and Gary when they leave. But as you said you will have a new family to welcome to Shenyang. Sounds like Tim enjoyed his time out with the folks from work. Hard to believe that you will be here in three weeks, the time sure has gone quickly.
    It was very nasty here today, rain, sleet, freezing rain and wind. My rug hooking class was cancelled, Bev lost her power. I thought we were going to, it went out, came right back on and flickered several times. Seems like the wind has gone down a bit, I hope so. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny. I had a very quiet day today, haven't been feeling the greatest so decided to take it easy. Worked down stairs this morning so Carl could go to Hayden's game, did some reading and worked on my rug hooking. Tomorrow I hope to get back swimming, haven't been there since Wednesday. I also have to go buy Halloween treats for ourselves and Gramp. I don't think we will have too many kids. We only had about 9 last year and 6 of those were family. With your two not being here it will be less this year.
    Well Jan, think I will go and get myself ready for bed. Have a great day, bye for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan, glad your supper went well. And it sounds like Tim had an interesting outing with his co-workers. The boys must be getting excited about coming home to Canada. It really won't be long now. We had terrible gusts of wind today. My Hallowe'en decorations are everywhere. Dev and Liz aren't decorating until tomorrow. I really wish you and the boys could see their place. They are putting alot of work into it. I think it is going to be very creepy. I'll take lots of photos. Maybe some of them can go into another photo album for the boys to take back. We'll work on that one since they really seem to enjoy them. It also puts my photos to good use. I guess there is no Hallowe'en in China. Liz and Dev had a pumpkin carving party at the rink last night and there were a lot of really nicely carved pumpkins. Stefan did one of Predator and it turned out really nice. There was also one of a horse done and cartoon characters. Liz did some cat ones and Dev did Storm Trooper which was also very cool. Liz and Dev picked out some patterns from the Internet. Well Ellery is in bed now so I must go and get ready to go to bed. I think we are swimming in the morning so that will be 7:30. I hope the water is warm. Bye for now. Have a great day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now..Looks like another busy time for you. You will miss your friends but so glad you have more coming .Things are busy here. Gloria and Jim leave on Wed. for Florida so I will be very busy working at the shop everyday and then at the rink at night. HAd a little visit with your mom and Erin last night after Brett's hockey game. Your mom was frozen. Well honey I am off to the doctor to see about my arm.I hurt it about 2 months ago at the gym and doesn't seem to be getting better. Happy HAlloween to you guys. See you guys in a few weeks.Can't wait to see you. Love you guys XOXOOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Less than a week!!! I can't believe it! The movers arrived today and started packing up our house. It's sad to watch all our stuff being packed up but exciting as well because that means we're getting closer to starting our new adventure in China!

    ReplyDelete