Thursday, February 9, 2012

"I love you, Mommy. You're so sweet."

How is that for adorable?  That and a hug is what I got from Ryan after breakfast this morning and I knew it would be a good day.  How could it not?

Things have quieted down a lot since the fireworks display on Monday night.  Yesterday we ventured out after having an inside day on Tuesday.  We went to visit Jessica and her boys in the morning and Yan Hong had my jeans ready.  Three pairs are perfectly hemmed for a grand total of 30 yuan (about $4.50).  I've never had jeans professionally hemmed in Canada but I'm pretty sure this is a pretty good deal.  We stayed for lunch and playtime then headed off to YooHoo for some grub.  It's was my first time back there in a while and it was nice.  We found some good fruit, veggies, meat and some other essentials.  Tim didn't cook at all while we were gone so we were getting low on a few things.  He also confessed that he never washed a dish for the three weeks, leaving them for ayi so she would have something to do.  Isn't that sweet?

One thing I did buy for groceries was fungus.  I may have mentioned this stuff before as we have ordered it from Chinese restaurants and Tim has it a lot at work, but I have never attempted to cook with it before.  It comes dried and you soak it in water which causes it to swell and look slimy.  Usually at the restaurants it is cooked in a chicken broth for flavor but since I didn't have any, I decided to just throw it in with my stir-fry veggies and serve it with noodles.  It was really tasty and apparently is very good for you.  I had leftovers for lunch today and again for supper tonight.  I think we will be having it more often.  Now if I can just get the kids to eat it...

Today we decided to go back to Happy City, meeting up with Jessica and her clan.  The boys had a lot of fun together and the moms did, too.  Of course, when my boys arrived with just t-shirts on under their heavy sweaters, a bunch of ladies almost had heart attacks.  Yesterday when our neighbor realized that Nick and Ryan only had sweatpants with no long underwear she was shocked, even though they were only going from the car to the apartment.  My kids just get too warm once they are inside, especially at Happy City where they are running around sweating.  I have to learn how to tell people in Chinese that they aren't delicate flowers that will freeze to death after a couple minutes outside.  Would that be rude?

After Happy City we came to our place for some sushi and leftovers.  Even Yan Hong liked my noodles and veggies with fungus.  Well, she didn't spit it out and finished everything on her plate.  The kids played for the rest of the afternoon with only a few minor irritations among them.  For the most part they get along very well and are happy to have each other to play with.  When it's time to part ways no one is ever pleased about it, so that's a good sign.   

Tonight we played Mario Kart as a family and it was a lot of fun.  Ryan is really animated these days and it's so entertaining to listen to him when he gets excited about something.  When it was time for bed Nicholas did some reading and did well, considering we were away from it for a while.  He really doesn't want to learn, figuring that perhaps we won't send him to school if he can't read.  We assured him that that is not the case and I tried to convince him to improve his attitude toward reading and writing.  So far so good.  I hope that by August he's a little more comfortable with the idea of starting school.  We shall see!

So, that's it for now.  I'm really looking forward to the weekend.  Tomorrow afternoon I have a massage and on Saturday Jessica and I are going shopping again.  Hopefully we will get everywhere we want to go this time and have a nice lunch with some wine.  I will update again when I get a chance.  Have a great weekend all!

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to start your day, hugs and kisses and a I love you. Ryan is so cute. He gets so excited about everything he does, what enthusiasm and energy.
    I don't think you would get one pair of jeans hemmed for that amount here, let alone 3 pair. Carl just had patches, which we provided, put on a sweater and it cost $10.90.
    They should come up with another name for fungus, although it may taste okay, it doesn't sound very appealing.
    Hopefully Nick will adjust to the idea of going to school. I think once he gets there and makes friends he will be fine, at least he won't be the only one speaking English. You have a few months yet to work on him.
    Kenzie is home today, it is an in-service day.
    I went swimming this morning, came home and did the deposit. Carl just left for the bank and I am going to do laundry and clean. It is beautiful here today, the sun is shining and it isn't really cold. I would like to get out for a walk this afternoon and get some of that nice fresh air. I think we are going to get snow, rain and more snow starting tonight and into Sunday. Will just have to wait and see!! Must go and get started on the cleaning.
    You guys have a great weekend, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your boys are so precious Jan and you are doing such a great job! I think I might like to try fungus. It is probably a lot like mushrooms and I love them. I have had a great weekend nothing really exciting but I have been busy most of it. I took a break from my hockey cards and photos because I pinched a nerve in my shoulder from doing so many adjustments on Photoshop. It was very painful and I had to leave Yoga on Friday night. I just couldn't do it. So I took a break from the computer and rested my mousie fingers. Anyway it is much better today so I will be back at it tomorrow. I am working very hard to get as many teams finished as I can before I go to Florida next week. I really really hope we have warm weather. We had a nasty freezing rain storm last night but I is very pretty today with all the trees laden with ice. We had our car in the garage so I didn't have to scrape the windows before Church today and I was kind of thinking how lucky I was to have a garage and noticed all of the cars on the way to Church that had been scraped off when a huge truck came along and completely covered my car with ice. I couldn't even see! So I started the wipers and cleared the windshield. My car was no longer ice free. I guess I was just a little too proud. Anyhow it is back in the garage now. Well must go and call my Aunt Betty and see how they are doing. Have a great Monday and bye for now.

    ReplyDelete