Completely by chance, I discovered that I can talk to my iPhone and it will do as I ask or a lady's voice will come on to tell me that she needs more information. I played around with it and now I call tell her to "call my husband" and, sure enough, it will dial Tim's number. If I tell her to play a certain song, she will politely oblige. If she doesn't understand what I said she will say so and apologize. Tonight though, when I asked her to open Skype, I realized that this phone has an attitude when you push her buttons. Here is how the conversation unfolded (this is word for word. I couldn't make this up!):
iPhone: What can I help you with?
Me: Open Skype.
iPhone: I can't open that for you, Jan. My apologies.
Me: Why can't you open Skype?
iPhone: I don't understand 'Why can't you open Skype?'
Me: I can open Skype. I want you to do it.
iPhone: I don't dispute it.
Me: Just open it!
iPhone: I don't understand 'at open it!'
Since I was busy with supper I gave up for a bit and tried again later:
iPhone: What can I help you with?
Me: Open Skype.
iPhone: I can't do that for you, Jan. I'm sorry to let you down.
Me: Why can you not open Skype?
iPhone: I don't understand 'Why can you not open Skype?'
Me: What can you open?
iPhone: I cannot.
Me: You have let me down.
iPhone: Is that so?
Me: Yes.
iPhone: OK, here's that contact info:
I thought it was a bit strange that my phone was talking back to me with such intelligent responses until the last one where she gave me contact info for Tian Ye when I didn't ask for it. I figured, okay, this phone isn't that smart after all. Whew! Then, just for shits and giggles, I took it a bit further.
Me: You're making me very angry.
iPhone: Don't get mad. It'll just make you...angry.
Me: You're still making me angry.
iPhone: Not at me I hope?
Me: Yeah.
iPhone: Here, I found this for you: (insert something from the web I didn't take time to read).
Me: Do you love me?
iPhone: Do I what?
Me: Do you love me?
iPhone: I'm not allowed to, Jan.
Me: Why not?
iPhone: You see things, and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were, and I say, 'Why not?'
Me: What the hell does that mean?
iPhone: I would ask that you address your spiritual questions to someone more qualified to comment. Ideally, a human.
Me: I don't know any.
iPhone: One can't know everything, can one?
Me: You seem to.
iPhone: Is that so?
Me: Yes, it is.
iPhone: OK, here's the contact info.
Me: Maybe you don't know everything.
iPhone: I'm doing my best.
Me: I love you iPhone.
iPhone: Noted.
So this is the beginning of an interesting relationship. I have decided I must now name my iPhone. Any ideas?
Jan, what is the world coming to when even your IPhone can give you attitude!! Guess I won't be getting one of those, there is enough attitude in my home (and else where) to last me a lifetime. Maybe you should name it "Attitude" and call Atti for short.
ReplyDeleteWhatever the name I am sure you and your phone will have a long lasting relationship, attitude or not.
I didn't go swimming this morning, I have a sore eye. It is red and swollen and hurts, I thought I might be getting a sty but nothing yet. I am going to work on income tax today, after I get the laundry done and anything else I have to do. Maybe I will run out of time and have to do it tomorrow. Oh Wait.....can't do it tomorrow, we are going over to Forbes brothers to look and upholstery fabric. Guess the income tax will have to wait.
we either have to recover our chesterfield and love seat or buy new ones. I want to keep what I have, but can't find any fabric we like nor have we come across a chesterfield that we like as well as ours.
Kenzie didn't advance to the next bowling tryouts, but he had a great time and met a new friend. Hayden's team won both their games yesterday, so they will advance to the finals. They head back to Sackville NB on Saturday. They plan to spend the night because they also play on Sunday.
It is beautiful here today, -6 and the sun is shining. I would like to get the blog book down to Viv today, maybe I will do that after lunch.
Better go and get some work done, have a great day. Take Care.
That was a very interesting conversation, Jan. I think it was a battle of the wits. I don't think either of you won. I wonder if anyone has every challenged an iPhone before. You will never have to worry about not having anyone to talk to. But yes a suitable name, what about 'Lola', (lot of laughs, love and attitude). Just a thought. I have a cold to travel to Florida with. I really hope it doesn't blossom into more after flying. I was hoping to be rid of it before now but it just started on Saturday so I guess it takes time. But I know when I get in that hot Florida sun it will take care of everything. I had a wonderful massage yesterday. Ellery gave it to me for Valentines. It felt so awesome. I would love to have one three times a week as you do. It is pretty cold here today but the sun is shining and it is beautiful. I have made an appointment for a chiropractic adjustment today to help clear my ears. They pull on them and it helps them drain. They crackle and snap every time I swallow. Well must go get some breakfast and get some hamburgers made for the boys for when I am away. I'll pop them in the freezer for them. I won't be reading your blog for a week as I will be off on my own adventure but will have lots of fun reading when I return. Hope you all have a great week. Bye for now!
ReplyDeleteMy boss walks around talks to his all the time. When he first got it, I think he sat by my desk for 2 hours asking it random questions.
ReplyDeleteI did LOL at your convo with it though...