Thursday, September 6, 2012

Oh my.

It's been that kind of a day.

We set out at seven this morning to get everyone where they needed to be and I was prepared to spend five hours alone in our apartment, first time ever.  I hadn't even decided for sure what I would do, as I have a list of things that I should/could/would do if and when I had the time.

We dropped Nick off to the bus but as we headed to Michelin our driver, Li, alerted us to the battery light on the dash that had just come on.  I wasn't sure what I should do after dropping Tim off at work.  If we tried to get to the school (a 50 minute drive) and broke down, we'd be stuck waiting for who-knows-how long for someone to come get us.  If we managed to make it to the school and then home before something happened, I might not be able to get back to the school by 2:30 to pick Ryan up.  He didn't really want to go today so I just asked Li to take us home.  By the time we got here we had been driving for one hour and forty minutes, to go nowhere.

It was such a pleasant day out that we didn't stay home for long.  I quickly grabbed some picnic snacks, the wagon and my bike and we headed to the park.  I biked up to the bumper boats area and we played on the exercise equipment for a while.  After that we had a picnic on a little hill and just enjoyed the sunshine and each others company.  At one point a concession stand lady came and squatted by our blanket, staring at us for a few minutes before finally saying something.  I chatted with her for a minute then Ryan asked if we could move.  He had been enjoying our alone time and wanted me to talk to him, not the lady.  Instead I put my shoes on and went over to her stand to buy a drink.  After I paid I thanked her and said goodbye and she didn't come back over.  We ended up playing a little baseball and Ryan is really getting quite good at batting.  He can switch hit, too, which is kind of cool for a three-year-old.  We wandered around the park for a while longer before finally heading home for lunch.

While we were out and about I got a couple calls from Tim.  The first was to inform me that he had been invited to a coworker's wedding (or wedding party, I don't know) which I thought was very nice until he said that it was tonight.  Who does that?  Surely he knew before this morning that he would be having this party.    Next, and even more mind boggling, was a call from our former driver, Tian Ye, who was wanting to know if we would come to his wedding on Saturday.  We haven't spoken to him in months and the last thing he said to Tim was "Shut up!" (twice) so I can't imagine what he was thinking.  Tim told him that we already have plans and Tian Ye said, "You don't want to come?".  How awkward would that be?  Again, it's mind boggling and my brain is starting to hurt from trying to figure this stuff out.

This afternoon I mixed up a banana loaf and while it baked I started on some cookies.  Unfortunately I had used the last two eggs on the banana bread (and didn't notice) so I couldn't finish the cookies.  Ryan and I sat down to play a game of Candyland but I ended up dozing off a few minutes into it.  He played my Gingerbread Man for me and soon informed me that his guy had won.

I had a few others things written but deleted them.  They will wait for another time.  I must end here for tonight.  It's getting late and I still have to bake the cookies.  Goodnight all!

2 comments:

  1. Weddings are very strange in China! Seems like there is always something new to learn about their customs.

    Nice you and Ryan had some time alone. It probably worked out just as well that he didn't go to school.

    Your transportation continues to give you problems. Hopefully the vehicle will be fixed soon.

    We were busy today trying to get the forms all filled out and sent away for the Hockey Society. Ellery is still very busy with the upgrades at the rink. That will be keeping him busy until it opens. I had Hayden and McKenzie after school since Darlene and Carl went to a funeral in Stewiacke. It was nice to have them. They are great boys.

    Well must check the dryer to see if my clothes are ready. I has rained here off and on all day so I couldn't hang them out to dry. You guys have a great day. Bye for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you were able to get the van fixed without too much trouble. Sounds like you and Ryan had a fun day together and I am sure he didn't miss school one little bit.

    Carl and I went to Faye's sister's funeral with your mom and dad today and she was telling me about Tim's wedding invitation, they sure don't give you much notice.

    I was showing Tracy the picture of the Snoopy car when i noticed the picture of Ryan, I didn't see it last night. He is so cute, even tho his eyes were closed.

    I managed to get to swimming this morning, three of us had the pool to ourselves, I like it when we have lots of room.

    Well Jan I am in bed writing this comment (love the fact that I can do this from my bed) so guess I will close for now and do a little bit of reading before I close my eyes .

    You guy's have a great day, take care.

    ReplyDelete