Monday, June 18, 2012

Catching Up, Again

I know I've been slack with the blog posts these days.  It's not that I have had nothing to write about and I could come up with a bunch of reasons why I've been neglectful but the main reason is that I have a problem.  I'm beginning to think I need to go to TA: Travel-holics Anonymous.  Every evening, when I would normally write my blog, I have been scouring the web looking information on trips.  Yes, trips.  Not one, not even two, but now three.  See?  I told you I have a problem.

I thought I was done planning our home trip for September/October last week when I booked the final two flights in a series of ten that we will take over a four and a half week period.  However, we are also going on a cruise in the Caribbean for one of those weeks and although I had booked a couple of excursions already, I ended up finding more stuff for us to do while we're in the various ports.  Also, because I don't like to book the cruise ship tours, everything must be researched and read about, then emails sent and deposits made.  I have started a binder with the information for all of our flights, hotels, rental cars, rental home, cruise and excursions just so I can keep it all straight.  I won't lie though, I love it!

Since that trip was pretty much finished up I had to find something else to search for so I starting checking into ideas for our winter trip for 2012/2013.  Michelin is kind enough to contribute to a "get out of the cold" vacation fund and of course we are going to take advantage of that.  I realize it seems early to be looking at this trip but, because we will travel during Chinese New Year, the popular places will book up relatively fast and we don't want to have to settle for leftovers.  This past March we went to Thailand and really enjoyed it but this year we were back and forth on what to do.  City or beach?  Where to go and what to do?  We kicked around a lot of ideas - Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, The Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam (yes, Vietnam!  It's becoming quite a popular vacation spot!), and Hainan (an island in Southern China).  All these places were options and I had to do a lot of browsing and searching the web to try and narrow down where we should spend our holiday.  There are so many factors to consider - weather, number of flights, travel time, vaccinations and/or medications required, will the kids like it?, will we like it?, is it going to be too crowded?, are there warnings from governments not to travel to that specific area for health or terrorism issues?.   We are pretty sure we have made a decision but since we haven't booked anything yet I will hold off on any details.

The third trip I have just started to think about is our home trip for 2013.  Since Nicholas will be in school we will try and take it in the summer which fits into my plan just nicely right now.  I have already done a little lite browsing to see if I can pull it off.  We shall see!

Like I said before, we have been fairly busy this past week, despite the unusual amounts of rain.  A Chinese friend commented that Shenyang is feeling more like Vancouver lately.  We have had at least one downpour everyday for well over a week and I think more rain in that time than we did the entire first year we were here.  Today is the first day in a while that it hasn't rained.  Well, yet.  It's still early in the evening.

Despite the fact that we had a non-rainy day, we still didn't get outside.  The air quality was poor so I set up the bouncy house for the boys to burn off energy.  We also did puzzles, played games and worked on letters and reading.  Tonight Nick did get out for a bit to play soccer with the local kids.  Friday and Saturday evenings he also went and had a great time.  They are very welcoming toward him and the fact that it's pick-up soccer makes it fun and easy.

The rest of the days I missed writing about we spent some of with friends.  Thursday we went to Jessica's and made Father's Day cards for Tim which he loved.  We made him breakfast and ordered pizza for supper as a treat.  Saturday I went out with a new girlfriend and we had a lovely time shopping and eating lunch at the Japanese restaurant.  I needed some time away from testosterone!

Everything's been going quite well here, aside from our driver situation.  We've had a few issues with him and are trying to get things worked out.  We are under the impression he and another driver might want to switch families which would be fine with us.  Not that another would be any better, just different.  Whatever, I try to not think about it much.

I think that's it for now.  I would write more but I just don't feel like it.  Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Jan, sounds like you have been very busy planning your trips. I know how much time we spent planning our trip to Alaska and really Verna did a lot of it. Ellery and I knew the three things we wanted to do and Verna was the research person. But it still took time for us too. It is great that you enjoy it. I love taking the trips but not so much the planning. I am just starting to get back to myself after our trip. Traveling, as much fun as it is, is still tiring. But we are so glad we went. Darlene and I went swimming this morning and Jerry and I went for a walk up to visit Andy and Bear after that. Dev came down for a visit. Ellery and I went over to the beach on Saturday and I did some family photos yesterday afternoon. I visited with Mom in the morning. She is off to visit with Trish in Saint John for the week so that will be fun. I guess you have seen some of the photos Dev took on the weekend in Cape Split. They look amazing. Stefan and Ellery worked on the Unimog yesterday for Father's Day. Ellery wanted to do whatever he wanted and that was it so Stefan helped him. That's about it for around here. Must go get some dishes cleaned up from lunch. Have a great day. Bye for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, you don't need to go to TA, you are just doing what you enjoy!! I just don't know how you keep it all straight, my head would be swimming.

    We had a nice weekend weather wise. I took the boys golfing Saturday morning and then we stopped at the Mini Mart for their customer appreciation BBQ. They had free hotdogs and pop, free ice cream and free mini golf. Salmon River Fire brigade also had two trucks there and some of the firemen were there as well, including Stefan.

    We went to Tracy's for our Father's Day Lobster supper on Saturday, it was delicious.

    Hayden had two ball games on Sunday, they played in North River so we were able to come home between games.

    I am still fighting the cold so I haven't had much energy.

    Hayden, Patrick and Kenzie went swimming tonight, the temp was 76, much too cold for me but they didn't seem to mind.

    Well Jan, not much news here, it is now 10:00 so I think it is bedtime.

    you guys have a great day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete