That's what I'm feeling today. This morning when I was getting ready to go out I realized that something felt different. I was at peace and it took a minute to sink in as to why. Oh, yeah, we have a new driver! Wednesday I didn't feel like going anywhere so it was Thursday before I had an opportunity to drive with Wang. I asked him to come at 11:00 and guess what? He came. I told him that I wanted to go to Tesco (there's a play place that the kids like in the mall and I needed them to burn off some energy) and although he didn't know where it was, he listened to me as I pointed out which way to go. When we got there he dropped us off as close as he could get and about twenty minutes later joined us inside. We sat and talked while the kids played. He speaks quite a bit of English and we had a good chat about the fact that he is our fourth driver in a year. Luckily he had been with Ma on Tuesday to see the texts I sent when he refused to come pick me up and knew that I wasn't being unreasonable (especially since this wasn't the first time Ma negotiated with me on working). I also had a chance to explain our side of the Tian Ye story. He knew about some of the things that went on but not all of it and I wanted him to know that we're not horrible people or really difficult to please. Tim explained to him the day before that I am an independent person and will ask for help if I need it. I enjoy doing things on my own because that's how I learn and I don't like having a shadow and I think he understands. Wang is very intelligent (already that's a great improvement from our last driver) and picks up on things quickly. By the end of our outing, I had given him an English lesson while we drove and he taught me a couple new Chinese words. He ended up going into the mall to buy a movie ticket for Tim and Nick to go see Madagascar 3 (they went today) and I think he was happy to be able to help. All in all, I think this time will be different. It feels better.
Today was a holiday here, Dragon Boat Festival, so Tim had the day off. We chilled out for the morning and he made pancakes for the boys for breakfast. Afterward we decided it was a good day to teach Nick how to play The Marble Game. That's what we call it anyway. It's like a homemade version of Trouble that you play with a big board and a deck of cards. He caught on very quick and did well with it. I think he enjoyed it, though not enough to play a second game. We'll try again some night when it's closer to bed time and I imagine he'll be a little more keen to play a second game.
This afternoon Ryan and I walked up to Carrefour. I realized it's been a long time since I've been there. Usually Tim will grab stuff on his way home from work and since they blocked the road off in front of the store, we don't drive that way when we leave Eastern Venice anymore. Across the street a new apartment building is being constructed and I couldn't believe how big it is now. We did a little shopping at Carrefour then got some sushi and went to Happy City. A year ago I bought a "frequent player" card to make our play dates there cheaper. There was only one visit left and since I only had Ryan with me, I figured it would be the perfect time to use it up. I sent him in and dug out my card but as the younger girl started to swipe my card the older lady started chattering at me. I didn't know what they were trying to say and I tried to explain that I just had one visit left and wanted to use it. They kept it up and I started to suspect that I wasn't allowed to use the card since it was a holiday. I just shrugged my shoulders and eventually they took the card and used it up.
After playing for a while we decided to go to KFC for a lemonade for me and an ice cream for Ryan. As we sat there eating, a woman and her son at a table near the window were watching us. I knew the woman wanted her son to come over and talk to us but I really wasn't in the mood. At Happy City we had a lot of onlookers because of the confusion over the card and for some reason a couple little girls felt the need to stand in front of me and stare while I ate my sushi and their mothers didn't discourage them from doing this. So, when another little girl came and sat at our table while Ryan ate his ice cream I knew it was inevitable that the woman would seize the opportunity to bring her son over. They left their food on their own table but made themselves comfortable at ours. I envy Ryan for his ability to completely ignore people who are staring at him, especially while he eats. I can pretend I don't notice, but I have a hard time not looking at or saying something to people who are watching me eat. He, on other hand, sat and stared out the window as if there was no one else in the entire restaurant. The woman, her son, and the other girl who was a stranger to them, sat and observed us for a bit then went back to their table to finish their lunch. We left a few minutes later and headed home.
Tonight we got take out, put the kids to bed and settled down to watch a movie. We were just getting it started when Tim got a call to go into work. Bu hao! Luckily we have a decent driver now and he didn't mind coming to get him. It turned out to be something that was someone else's problem though so he was back home before too long. In the meantime, I made a bread dip for a birthday party tomorrow. Our friend, Samuel, is going to be four-years-old and we are looking forward to a great party.
As I mentioned on a previous blog I have been researching a trip for us to take this winter, since I have everything booked for our home trip this fall. Well, after careful consideration, we have decided to go back to Thailand. This time we will go to Phuket which is a larger island off the west coast (in March we went to Samui, an island off the east coast). We wanted to check out a different country in Southeast Asia but between the weather and trying to find a place we wanted for a reasonable price, it just wasn't working out. Phuket is a well-developed tourist spot and it wasn't difficult to find a small house with a pool near the beach. I hadn't anticipated booking flights right away but when I found those for a good price, I grabbed them, too. Then today I booked a rental car to go along with it all. What does this all mean? Now I have nothing to research and must find something else to do with my evenings. I have done a little poking around for our home trip next year but have to wait. I can't book anything else for a while. I'll be getting myself into trouble!
So, tomorrow we have a birthday party to attend then Sunday I think I will finally go check out the stationary market. It doesn't sound like much but I've heard it's pretty cool to see. Most of the markets here are.
Have a great weekend everyone!
hi Kid; I am sorry that I forgot to tell you that Nick and Ryan used up the last visit to Happy acity while you two were in Shanghi. I didn't have the card but the older lady let the kids in anyway. So maybe that is what the lady was trying to tell you. Guess you better do your language homework to get caught up on all the chatter! Love Yas, Ma
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear that Wang is working out well. You have had more than your share of grief over your drivers. You are going to be doing a lot of flying over the next year. Sounds like you have lots of fun planned! Verna and I are just starting to get our photos together for scrapbooking from Alaska. I can't imagine another trip too soon in the future but I guess I would just have to not take so many photos. It is nice to go back and review all the things we did on our cruise. We can forget the little details so easily. And I think I took photos of just about everything!! Darlene and I swam this morning. I came home and took Jerry for a walk, made dinner and did some laundry. This afternoon Verna and I skyped and sorted through more Alaska photos. I am going to yoga this evening. It is dark and humid today but we have had some really nice weather. Must go get some supper. Bye for now and have a nice day!
ReplyDeleteWang sounds like a very nice person, he seems to be inclined to work and he must like kids or he wouldn't have bought tickets to the show for them.
ReplyDeleteYou will now have to find a new evening pass time and I am sure you will be able to!
Our house guests have now moved to Lunenburg. They left Friday as soon as Patrick was finished writing his last exam. We will miss them, but at the same time it is nice to have our house to ourselves again.
Darren, Tricia and the girls should be home on June 29th. I have decided that we will have a Birthday Party to celebrate Canada Day. I think the girls and Kenzie would enjoy that. (Hayden will be away on a Scout trip). I plan on picking up an ice cream cake, already picked up some red and white ballons and will make treat bags for the kids. I am hoping that Stevie will BBQ for us and that it won't rain! Am also hoping that the pool will be warm enough for swimming.
It is very muggy here today, rained a bit last night but not a lot. We do need the rain as everything is drying out.
Carl and I are going down to Lowland Garden Center after lunch, we will drop Hayden and Kelton off at the golf course and then leave from there. I need a few annuals for my tub and my large flower pots. I wasn't going to bother with them this year, but changed my mind.
Must go and grab my shower and get ready.
You guys have a good evening and a great Sunday.
Take Care.
Yay for a new driver and everything working out with him so far. I know it will make your time there much easier!!
ReplyDeleteI'm excited to hear more about your trip to Thailand. I've never been, but my brother stopped there once during a deployment when he was stationed in Japan. He got Katie (my oldest) a beautiful silk banner with her name spelled out on it. And also a beautiful jewelry box with inlaid jewels and pretty wood. If he deploys again this year he'll stop in there again.
I think I would lose my mind at people staring at me while I'm eating, but I guess after awhile you begin to become accustomed to it and it's "2nd nature" now.