Thursday, August 9, 2012

Hoarders: China Edition

Yesterday the kids and I went grocery shopping.  Our first stop was Metro which I really, really don't like and if it wasn't for their frozen blueberries I would go at all.  I'm not allowed to take the boys in because they have a rule that no children under 1.2m are permitted in the store.  I used to be able to sign something to say I wouldn't hold them responsible if anything happened to the kids but they won't do that anymore.  So, I have to leave the boys in the car with our driver which they are perfectly happy with but I don't feel overly comfortable doing.  Li seems smart enough to keep them cool and not lock the doors and go inside to pee (Ma did that once), but I haven't even known him a week and really it's not his job to babysit my children.  I asked though and he said he didn't mind so I ran in for what I thought would be a quick, five-minute trip.  Yeah, right.

I grabbed some envelopes, soy sauce, and diapers (for a friend) then to the freezer section for my blueberries.  Tim had been here on Sunday to get some and all the freezers had been emptied and were torn apart, wires everywhere.  I was hoping that by Wednesday everything would be back, but no such luck.  There were no wires but the freezers were still empty.  I took my three items and went to the checkouts to find huge lineups at the three registers that were open.  I saw another cashier standing at her station so I went up to ask her if she was opening.  She ignored me so I went to another line that had three people with carts.  Not even twenty seconds later she opened her register and started waiting on people.  I was PO'd.  I continued to wait in line until the people at the checkout started discussing something with the cashier, then all of them walked away.  I couldn't wait anymore.  I set my stuff down and left.

Next we went to YooHoo where, aside from the occasional bad behavior from the kids, I always have a pleasant shopping experience.  First we grabbed some lunch, rice for me and subs for the boys, then got a cart and went to get the few items we needed.  When we got to milk section I almost started jumping for joy.  For the first time in months they had chocolate soy milk, one of the few treats I allow myself to have.  So what did I do?  I bought every container they had.  Nicholas and I just started piling them into the cart.  I think I ended up with nine or ten cartons.  I normally try not to hoard things but here in Shenyang I have to from time to time.  When they run out it's hard to say how long it might be before they get more in again.  We also bought a small, $22 bottle of Canadian maple syrup, some juice and a few other things and we were on our way.  We came home and chilled out for the afternoon.

Today we had made plans with several other expats to visit the science museum.  Although we have been there twice before the others haven't so it was a new experience for them.  The last time we went there were twelve buses full of school children there so we only lasted fifteen minutes.  Today was much better and we ended up with a group of six adults and eleven children - ages six and under.  The kids had a fantastic time checking out the exhibits and playing around together.  I only had my iPhone so the pictures aren't great.














Afterward we went to Pizza Hut which was quite an experience for the staff.  They weren't sure what to do with us all but we tried to make it as easy as we could.  We ordered four pizzas, four pitchers of pop, six side orders of waffle fries (funny looking french fries) and two other dishes.  They managed to get the four pizzas right, but the drinks were way off.  Nick ended up with half a 7Up and a full glass of Pepsi, which I don't normally allow him to have.  I was a little worried about the monster I might have on my hands after that much caffeine and high-fructose corn syrup, but he did okay.  The meal was a little chaotic but everyone got something to eat and we all left happy.



Now we are home again and relaxing for a bit until it is time to get supper ready.  I think I will try to get out for a walk tonight, I need it.  Not sure what is up for the next few days.  It's hard to believe another weekend is here again already.  I guess that's it for now.  Have a great day!  

3 comments:

  1. Jan, I stock up on things that I really like or things that I can't always get. I would rather have lots than none!

    Seventeen people make a large group, sure looks like the kids were having a great time. The museum looks like a great place to visit, and I would say it is kid friendly from the pictures.

    It was hot here again today, by supper time it was about 34 so needless to say it was a good day to stay in with the air on. I did get to go swimming this morning, I was the only one there so I decided to count my laps, managed to get 46 done in 55 minutes.

    Carl went with Stevie to pick up Hayden and Caleb tonight, Friday is their last day. They have ice time at 11:45, then a BBQ and a game at 3:30. I guess we are all going over for the game.

    I finally got your blog down to Vivian, she has been minding the heat so is staying in and not doing too much. Quite a change for her she is always so busy.

    I don't know if you read the Daily News on line or not but their is an article in today's paper on the rink. Thought you might be interested in ready it.

    Guess I will go and watch some of the Olympics before bed, we will really miss watching all the events once it is over.

    You guys have a great day, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS
    Please excuse the misuse of the word their, and the ready it should be reading it. My only excuse is I am tired and didn't check it before I posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jan, I think you did a great job with the photos even with your Iphone. The kids look like they were having a blast.

    Ellery and I went to Halifax yesterday to take Mom down for her follow-up appointment to check on her Tamoxifin. She got a clean bill of health and her Dr. told her she was a joy to work with so she came out very pleased. She is flying out this morning at 7am to Toronto to go to a Blue Jays game with her friend so we left her in Halifax and he was going to pick her up at the hospital. He lives in Halifax. She is gone for the weekend so that will be fun for her. We went on to pick up a car part for Stefan and then to Montana's for lunch. I had a Greek Salad with grilled chicken. It was delicious. I think Greek Salad is my favorite of all. After that we went to Michael's and Costco. Speaking of stocking up you can't help but stock up when you go to Costco. Everything is sold in multiples but that is OK. I don't mind. We went to Verna's to pick up some photos she had printed at Costco for me plus she had some stickers for our scrapbooks that we are doing of our Alaska trip. We had a nice visit there and then home. It was a busy day and we were pooped when we got home.

    I am eating an omelet I made with some veggies from Andy's garden. They are so delicious!

    Well must go and get some things done.

    Bye for now and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete