Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sharp Dressed Man!

Today we ventured back to Nan Er MaLu (aka the fabric market) for Tim to try on his suit.  We weren't sure if it would be a fitting or the actual finished product, so we didn't know what to expect.  Since we were taking the kids I knew we were going to try and get in and out as quickly as possible.  It ended up being a very successful trip!  The suit turned out great and fit perfectly, no modifications needed.  We were very pleased.  Especially since the cost was 1120 rmb (about $170).


So many ladies eager to help out!

This is Tim wondering where he's supposed to change to try the pants since they don't have fitting rooms.  He ended up going to the other end of the shop and the ladies very kindly left him alone for this part.


The boys helping out and in the background just a small sampling of the materials to pick from.



Looking good!  Just need a tie and some shoes.


Before we went to the market our driver arrived early to take Tim to the gym then came back to pick up me and the kids.  When we got in the car there was a pretty little bag filled with treats on the seat.  Yesterday Li went to a wedding and must have received a party favor which he was very kindly giving to us.  I picked it up and he said to give it to the kids.  I thanked him then placed it in the seat back because I didn't want them to have candy right then.  As I looked at the red, semitransparent bag I noticed something odd.  I opened it up and on top of the candy was a package of cigarettes!  I'm sure our driver was not trying to give the kids smokes but I found it interesting that they would be included in a party favor.  I handed them up to Li and tied the bag back up.  I think I will check out the rest of the candy and throw most of it away.  My kids seem to be receiving a lot of candy lately.

Speaking of candy, when Nicholas got off the bus on Friday he had his own little party favor bag.  One of his classmate's birthday was that day so the mom brought in cake and party favors.  The funny thing was, as soon as Nicholas stepped off the bus he said, "I wasn't going to tell you this, but I had cake at school today".  I asked him why he didn't want to tell me and his response was, "I didn't eat my snack because I had the cake instead".  I guess he thought I would have expected him to forgo the cake and eat his raisins instead.  I had a chuckle and told him that it was fine, he's allowed to have birthday cake instead of his snack.

Luckily for Nicholas, his good friend and fellow classmate, Owen, is having a birthday tomorrow and since it's a school day, his parents held his party today.  After the fabric market we collected a couple more friends and made our way to the birthday party.  It was a Plant vs Zombies theme (that's a game for iPods) and Angie did a great job decorating and coming up with fun games.  Ryan actually won the first one and was quite pleased with himself for knocking down the most stuffed zombies with plastic fruit.  They also played Pin the Brain on the Zombie's Plate and had a competition to see who could put a zombie puzzle together the fastest.  It was a great party and we all had a lot of fun.  Since Angie and Owen share a birthday, tomorrow while the kids are in school Ryan is going to have a play date with Samuel while Angie and I go to the Thai restaurant for a birthday lunch.  Mmmm, Pad Thai!

That' it for this weekend.  Who knows what amusing things will happen this week.  I hope it's a good one for everybody!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jan, I guess those Chinese ladies are attracted to all of your males! The suit looks great and what a terrific price! Your formal nights on your cruise will be all set once you get your dresses. ( I don't think we saw those on you yet?)

    It has been strange weather here lately. One minute it is raining and the next it is sunny.

    Mom, Aunt Myrtle and I are going to hear Andrew Boudreau at the Marigold tonight. He is an amazing pianist and wonderful to listen to. I am really looking forward to it.

    I think I told you we were helping Stefan with the preparations for painting his car. Well he had it all ready and started to paint yesterday and it all started to 'fisheye' (spots all over it). He was so disappointed. Now he has to get some fisheye eliminator for his paint and it is supposed to fix it. Hopefully it will. He thought he was going to have it finished last night. Now he has to wait until Monday to get the stuff and paint again.

    We put our new barbeque together last night and the cover is dented and one of the knobs is broken. So I called Canadian Tire last night and they have no more of our model. They kindly offered to check with New Glasgow and they have some so they are going to bring the 2 parts over and switch them out for us. I was really pleased. They were very accommodating.

    Well must go and get some lunch. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim looks very handsome in his new suit. He sure had enough help getting it on. Can't imagine getting something made here for that price and having it fit perfectly the first try.

    Nick must be really enjoying school, he sure wouldn't get cake and party favors at school here.

    We had a very quiet day today, spent the morning and part of the afternoon at Tracy's getting help with my iPad. I don't have WiFi yet so I had to go to Tracy's to get things going.

    Stevie is on night shift this week so I won't have the boys, maybe I will get some jobs checked off of my to do list.

    I plan to go swimming in the morning, my membership runs out in September and it doesn't sound like the pool is going to stay open. They thought they might be able to keep it open for at least a year but the village of Bible Hill is over budget and I don't think they are going to come up with the money. Hopefully the new pool will have an early morning swim program for adults and seniors.

    Well Jan, there isn't much going on around here, we are not near as interesting as you guys. I think I will get ready for bed and do some reading, have a great day and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim looks great! My brother had a suit and 2 pairs of pants made for him when he was on an extended deployment to Thailand. They were much better quality than anything you can buy here in the states.

    I saw some of the photos from Owen's party on facebook - what a fun theme! We like the Fruit Ninja game, the kids like to play it on my dad's iPad.

    Not much going on around here. We attended church this morning, a nice message on grace and how it is relevant in our lives today. The music was upbeat and lively, something I really enjoy. We opened a new worship center last weekend, having outgrown the old one and it's beautiful.

    Came home and napped with the kids since I had a headache coming on. I think my new medicine makes me sleepy alot, so need to look into some vitamins to help with that too. I always wondered about Chinese herbs. You here a lot about them over here, but have you encountered much of that over there?

    Almost one more month until you are here in Atlanta!

    ReplyDelete