We've had another successful weekend here in Shenyang. On Saturday our boys went to their friends' house and played while Tim and I went with our new driver to shop. Li is an excellent driver and provided nothing changes, I'm sure we will be very happy with him. He's smart but not arrogant and seems easy to get along with.
Our first stop yesterday was the fabric market. Since we are going on a cruise in six weeks we decided that it was a good time to get Tim a new suit. There are a couple places at the market where you can choose your material and have the suit made all in one stop. Mom had a pair of dress pants made at one of these places and liked them so we returned to the same one. We first looked at material and when the lady came to help us I told her that we didn't want anything too pricey. I have learned well how to say "cheap" and "expensive" in Mandarin! We found something that seemed reasonable but also nice and black in color. Then came the more difficult task of determining how much it would actually cost to make the suit, what features Tim wanted and trying to answer their questions. I thought I pretty much understood but they kept talking and talking so I figured I had better get a bit of help. I told them I would call my Chinese teacher. I did and, silly me, forgot that Amanda was on a trip to Beijing. When she answered her phone she was standing on the Great Wall. I apologized and told her not to worry about it but she insisted it was fine and asked to speak to the man. As it turned out, I knew what he was trying to say anyway. I thanked Amanda then hung up, thinking that we were pretty much done except for the measuring. We weren't. After a lot of charades I determined that they were asking how thick of a shirt he would wear with the jacket. I told them but then they had another question. I'm still not exactly sure what it was they wanted to know, but eventually they seemed content to let it go. I hope it wasn't anything too important!
We paid for the suit and were told to call around the 15th to make sure it would be done, but I'm pretty sure it will be. Without the shirt, the cost was 1123 rmb or roughly $175. The odd thing was that a custom made long sleeve shirt to go underneath was going to cost 500 rmb. We told them we would just buy one. I didn't think to get any pictures, mostly because I was too busy talking and trying to figure out what they were asking. I will try to remember when we go back to get it.
After that experience, which didn't take us too long, I decided to check out a couple of the silk shops to see if there was anything else I might like for a dress. It's also nice to get Tim's opinion since he is the one that will see me in it the most. Very quickly we picked out a silver and black material. I think I will use it for a dress similar to this one:
And the black/purple/silver material for this dress:
The lady that I purchased both these materials from considers me a "pengyou" or friend and tells me that every time I go in. She claims to be giving me a special price, although it's always the same as the first time I ever bought anything from her. She's very friendly though and I like going to her.
Since we spent all the cash we had we decided to head out to a bank machine then Wu'ai Market. I have a list of things I need to get before we go on our trip and a few of them are available there. Tim was thirsty so when we walked into the first building we stop at a little stand to buy some water. Two ladies who worked there were talking and didn't notice us until we said, "Ni hao". As we did, one of the women looked at us like she had seen a ghost and dove down onto the floor. Tim and I just looked at each other and I asked the second lady for a bottle of water. She came right over to me, as close as she could get, and started talking to me. I didn't know what she was saying and by this point a man had come over so I told him we wanted a bottle of water. He got it from the cooler and Tim handed him a 100 yuan bill, the smallest we had since we had just come from the bank. He handed it to the first woman who was still on the floor and she inspected it to make sure it was real. They got us our change and we were on our way, finally able to get away from the woman who was almost pushing up against me. Very strange.
We shopped around for a while, finding Nicholas a pair of Crocs for our trip and Ryan a water bottle to have in the van. Surprisingly, Wu'ai has a large selection of bathing suits and I decided I would get one since mine regular one is losing it's shape and I probably should have a couple anyway. After a lot of searching, I found one that I thought would be okay and chose the largest size they had, XXXL. It looked like it would fit a ten-year-old. I asked the woman how much it cost and she told me 130 yuan. Not a bad price but I didn't want to pay that much if it wasn't going to fit and there is no where to try anything on. I told her 80 yuan and of course she said no and went on trying to bargain with me. I stuck to my guns though and told her I would think about it. Eventually she said okay and got one out for me. As I checked to make sure the size was okay she decided to start chattering to her friends about me and my 80 yuan offer. I don't know what she was saying for sure, but afterward, the more I thought about it, the more I wished I had just walked away and forgotten about it. Perhaps she wasn't being nasty, I don't know for sure what she was saying, but it was rude anyway. But, it's so difficult buying swimsuits at the best of times, I didn't want to prolong it anymore. When I got it home and tried it on, I was really wishing I had given it back to her. Although it was really cute and looks okay, it's way too small in the chest. It squishes my boobs up so they look like a couple flattened doughnuts. I may go back another day and see if I can find something a little more forgiving in that area.
By the time we finished at Wu'ai we were very hungry and decided to go to our favorite Thai restaurant for lunch. It was a little too delicious and I ate more than I should have but we both enjoyed ourselves. We had pineapple rice (it's actually served in a hollowed out half pineapple), Pad Thai and Vietnamese Spring Rolls. It made us happy that we decided to go back to Thailand next year.
We had a lovely time shopping and the kids had a fabulous time with their friends. When we got their they were running an obstacle course in the living room and didn't want to leave. Eventually we got them out and headed home to relax for the evening. It was a great day.
Today Nicholas wasn't feeling so good with a headache and fever so we didn't go too far. I guess he caught whatever Ryan had although he's been able to eat with no problem. Tim went to the gym and picked up a few groceries while I stayed with the boys then I went out for a nice long walk this evening. I walked all the way to the Tinker Toy Building and back, then in the other direction for a bit. It was a nice day with blue skies after a couple days of heavy rain.
The Tinker Toy Building, which is just my name for it, it a construction project at one entrance to WuLiHe park. I have been told that it will be an office building but it's hard to imagine that when you look at it, especially given it's location. They've been working on it for a couple months now and will be a really neat looking building once it's completed.
This next photo has nothing to do with China. It was actually taken by my mother in Economy, Nova Scotia. I love it for the blue water and clear skies, but also for the cool dolphin head. Can you see it?



Sounds like you guys had a very busy day on Saturday. I bet it was nice just being able to roam around and not be in a rush to get back to the boys.
ReplyDeleteI love the fabric you picked out for your dresses, it is beautiful and should look wonderful on you. It is hard to believe that you will be on your trip in 6 weeks, the time sure does fly.
Yesterday was Hayden's Birthday, he is now 14! Tracy moved his birthday supper to our place as it was really hot here, 33.8 and no breeze. Jake, Cora and Carl sure appreciated the air conditioners.
Carl, Gramp Kenzie and I went to the park this morning for a walk. Kenzie and I walked up to the falls and back. We spent a lot of time looking for fish in the brook. The falls only had two little trickles of water, but the swimming hole still had enough water for swimming.
Tracy, Stevie and Hayden are off to Antigonish today for Hockey Camp. He had to register before 1:00, there is a parent meeting at 1:30 and then his ice time is at 7:30 tonight(I think), they will be late getting back. His schedule is really weird, because they are the oldest group they get the late ice time each day but he doesn't have to be there until 1:30 pm each day. Hopefully he will sleep in each morning.
Kenzie and I are going to go to his place and see if one of his friends can come over for the afternoon. It is hot again today so they will spend their time in the pool.
I did get up to visit your Mom and Dad Friday night, Dale had just arrived home from his time with Drew and the exchange students. They had a busy few days and managed to do a lot of interesting things.
Guess I had better get going, Kenzie has been ready to go since noon.
Have a great day, take care.
Hi Jan. Your dress are going to be beautiful. You and Tim are going to look wonderful in your new outfits on the cruise. I now know having been on one just how much fun they are. I can hardly wait to go again. I also know how to plan a little better about what clothing to take.
ReplyDeleteI hope Nick is feeling better.
The building is really interesting. Hope you post a photo of it when it is completed.
Our weather has been so beautiful. Yes it has been hot but I really love it and maybe if I get my fill of heat I will be ready for the cold when it comes and it will be here sooner than we think.
I sang in two churches this morning and it went very well. I came home and worked some on my scrapbooking this afternoon. I am now on Skagway. I still have Glacier Bay, Ketchikan and Vancouver to do. I have started a new book. There are 75 pages in my first book. Ellery and I did some crossword puzzles this evening. Stefan is on call for the Fire Brigade so he can't go too far this weekend. Mom and I are going to visit Helen and Elaine tomorrow. It is Helen's 91st birthday. It will soon be Gramp's 95!
Well must go and get settled in to watch Big Brother. Bye for now! Have a great day!
The material for the dresses is beautiful! I love the purple one the most. Hard to believe that it's almost time for another vacation for you, but this time I get to see you!!!
ReplyDeleteKids started school here yesterday (in GA). Jonathan in kindergarten, and Katie in 6th. It was a strange ride to daycare with just Natalee, she kept asking me where her Jonathan was!
I finally see the dolphin head in your mom's photo, I kept staring at the water trying to find something sticking out of the water! That bldg looks interesting, I can see the
tinker-toy effect of it. Hard to imagine it will be an office bldg, so you'll have to take a photo of the finished project once it's done.
I will admit I did giggle at the bathing suit comment about donuts - I HATE shopping for a suit! I am bottom heavy compared to the top, so trying to find the right size doesn't quite work out. The tank-kini's work best for me, since I can buy a top in one size and the bottoms in another.
well, it's time to pack the gang up and take them to their schools and begin another work day. much love from Georgia!