Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Waiter, there's an ant in my rice.

Sunday when we were driving home from Owen's birthday party we noticed that our driver was a little upset.  Well, more than just a little so I asked him if he was okay, which he obviously wasn't, but that's the only appropriate thing I knew how to say in Chinese.  We were pretty sure it wasn't something we had done since it usually takes us at least a month to emotionally scar our drivers.  Not knowing what else to do, I called Amanda, my Chinese teacher, and asked her for help.  Luckily she wasn't standing on the Great Wall this time and I explained the situation to her.  I handed the phone to Li and they spoke for about a minute.  She informed me that his mother was very sick and in the hospital which is why he was upset.  When we were getting out of the van I told him that I was sorry about his mother and if he needed the day off on Monday to let us know.

Monday morning Li showed up to take Tim to work and since I didn't hear anything, I texted him and asked for him to be here at 10.  I planned on picking up Angie, dropping Ryan off at Jessica's, then going to the Thai Restaurant for Angie's birthday.  While we waited for Li to show up, Ryan and I went outside for a while.  Some farmer type people have started selling fresh vegetables on the driveway right in front of our building so I went to check things out.  I started buying all kinds of things, Chinese eggplant, mushrooms, long beans, spinach (I think!), some sort of lettuce and a potato that resembled a yam.  Ayi came along while I was out there and pointed to the regular potatoes she is used to seeing in our fridge but I said that no, I wanted to try some new things.  I think she thought I was a little nutty when she saw all the stuff I picked but don't really know how to cook.

At 10 o'clock Li hadn't shown up so I checked my phone and found a message from him asking if he could come at 11.  I knew right then that this day was not going to go smoothly.  I asked Angie if perhaps her driver could take us.  He could but because he wasn't at her house we would have to wait for him. I figured that was better than hoping that Li would actually be able to make it for eleven so I called Li and told him he didn't have to come at all.  Eventually we got Ryan dropped off and we made our way to the Thai restaurant for lunch.

Angie had never eaten at this restaurant and in fact hadn't had Thai food before but I was pretty confident that she would like it.  Everyone I know that has gone to this place enjoys the food.  We ordered Pad Thai, a beef and veggie dish and an order of fried rice served in a hollowed out pineapple half.  The food was tasty and as I had anticipated, Angie enjoyed her birthday lunch.  After our bellies were full we were sitting there chatting when I glanced over at a glass on the far side of the table.  Crawling up the side was a tiny black ant.  I wasn't too concerned, one little ant isn't anything to get upset about.  I killed it and we just laughed it off.  Then I took a little closer look at the plate that our pineapple rice was sitting on.  Sure enough, there was another ant motoring along.  Before it was dead I found another.  Angie then pointed at the pineapple she had been eating from and said, "What's that?".  I grabbed the plate to get a better look and sitting in the rice on the edge of the pineapple was a tiny, non-ant insect.  I poked at it with my chopstick and it moved.  I quickly called the server over and pointed to the bug in the rice and showed her the napkin with the three dead ants in it.  Another lady joined her to look and as the first one was apologizing and taking the plate away, the second woman was pointing to my pineapple dish to show her yet another creature of some kind.  I've been getting chills just writing this and I have to keep scratching my head.  Luckily Angie is a good sport and wasn't too put off by the whole thing.  We had a good laugh about it (what else can you do?) and actually I was a little relieved that at least the people working there knew that bugs in the food is a bad thing.  And no, we didn't have to pay for the rice.  You were wondering that, weren't you?

Shortly after getting home from the birthday lunch ordeal it was time to walk to Carrefour to meet Nick.  When we got there the lady and her son that we met last week were also waiting.  We had a quick chat and exchanged phone numbers.  As it turns out, they have only been here for a month which would explain why we have never seen them before.  This morning we ended up meeting Liliana and Aiden (her three-year-old) outside and they came in for a visit.  She is a very sweet person and we had a nice talk.  Tomorrow she is going to come shopping with us so I can show her YooHoo and Ole and, if we have time, any other fun places we like to go.

I had my Chinese lesson this afternoon and, since she was here, I had Amanda call my driver to find out how his mother is doing and see if he is going to be able to work tomorrow.  Luckily she is improving somewhat so he will be able to take us for groceries.  We need a few things to go along with the veggies I bought yesterday (and more again today!).  I did a stir fry with onions, garlic, long beans, spinach, mushrooms, and the Chinese eggplant, which Amanda informed me would never be put in a typical Chinese stir fry, but it was pretty good.  The kids even ate some of it.

I guess that's it for now.  I must get to bed soon as I'm not used to getting up at 6am.  It's tiring.  So long!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jan, I guess there are little insects everywhere cause lots of people are having a real problem with ants this year. Just adds a little protein to the meal!

    Sounds like your stir fry would be delicious with all of the neat vegetables. I would love to try it.

    Hopefully Li's mother is doing better and you will have your reliable driver back.

    Jan you are so good at making new friends. You have a great way of making people feel comfortable.

    Stefan is gone out again to try and paint his car and Ellery has gone golfing. The second time this year. It is great for him to get away. I should be doing my soccer cards but it is much more interesting to read and respond to your blog. But I guess the time has come that I must do it. Verna is planning to come up again this week sometime to scrapbook so I must get my work done.

    You have a great day and bye for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little ants might add a little protein to your meal, but not mine! I would probably be sick if I thought they were in my food.

    I hope Li's mother is on the mend, it must be hard for him to communicate with you sometimes. Good job you have Amanda to help you out.

    Your expat family sure is growing you have quite a group. Nice for the boys to have so many friends and for you and Tim as well.

    We had a busy day yesterday, I went swimming early then took the boys golfing, as usual they golfed and I walked. Trish and the kids were here swimming, Andy came with lots of garden goodies and Devin showed up to hook up my wireless rotor and Tracy and boys showed up for a swim.

    It is another beautiful day here, the temp is around 28 but the humidity is not bad so it is nice to be outside. Andy, Steve, Hayden, Kenzie and I went over to Salt Springs this morning to do some Geo Cashing at the park. We had a great time, found all the hidden stashes and a couple that were not on the GPS. Kenzie loves finding the container while Hayden liked doing the tracking. We all want to do it again. Andy said we would go to the Mic Mac Trail in Debert next time. I think we might decide to get our own GPS and try some locations. Andy will help me set up on the computer and we will see what happens.

    I just finished my banking, which I started this morning and had to leave. Carl and I are also applying for our passports so I got the forms all filled out, we will get our pictures done on Friday and then take everything to New Glasgow.

    Well Jan it is just about time for supper, I am hungry so guess I had better go and help Carl get it ready.

    You guy's have a great day, hi to all the boys. Take care.

    ReplyDelete