Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Busy Days

The last three days have been rather busy and I'm just now finally getting a chance to post.

The Easter bunny visited on Saturday night and left a basket of chocolate and a few toys for each of the kids.  As I mentioned on my last post, Ryan was a little nervous of the bunny so we ended up leaving a note in Nick's room asking him not to go into Ryan's.  It worked and instead he left Ry's stuff in the living room and didn't hide any chocolate eggs in his bedroom either.  The boys had a nice morning and were very excited.






After the Easter fun it was time to finally try out my new bike.  As I got everything adjusted I noticed that two pieces on it were already broken.  I guess we should have checked it out a little better at the store.  I used some hockey tape to secure a latch, pumped up the tires and it was time to go for a ride.




Overall it's a decent bike.  It will get me around with the boys for now and hopefully won't fall apart while I'm riding it.

Sunday afternoon Jessica, Chris and the boys came over for a visit.  We all had fun playing outside then they joined us for supper.  Monday morning we went to Celine's house for brunch and afterward went outside again.  It was a beautiful day, t-shirt weather.  Caroline loves having other kids around to play with and was a little upset at the end of the day when it came time for us to say goodbye.




Today we were up and out of the house fairly early.  The boys and I walked up to Carrefour so they could go to Happy City for a while.  They hadn't been there for a long time so I thought I would have to drag them out of the place when Tian Ye came to pick us up at ten.  But, after twenty minutes they were done and wanted to go.  Perhaps Happy City has been played out.

After making a trip to YooHoo for some groceries we came home, ate some lunch then Ryan went for a nap.  He's been getting up way too early and since we were going out for supper tonight I wanted him rested.  Plus, Lena was coming and I needed some peace and quiet.  After a lovely massage I was pretty oily and decided I should shower up and get ready to go out.  I got talked into playing the Wii with Nick for a bit then went to get clean.  Only problem: no water!  I went back to helping Nick with his game until I heard the faucet running again.  I turned it off, spent a few more minutes beating Emperor Zurg, then again went to get my shower.  Again, no water!  What a pain in the butt.  It was now a lot closer to go time and I was still looking like a greaser.  Finally I broke down and used some bottled water and just enough shampoo to get my bangs from looking like they had been dipped in oil and put the rest up in a ponytail.  A little while later I got a text from my housing agent saying that the water would be shut off suddenly for "urgent reparation".  No kidding!

Tonight we went with friends to Green Mile, a pub that serves the best pizza in Shenyang, or so I have been told.  It was our first time there and since I don't eat pizza anymore I can only go by what everyone else said but I had chicken wings and they were pretty tasty.  We joined Sonny, Sue and two guys who are here without their families, Glen and Tyler.  Nicholas and Ryan had never met them before but as soon as we walked in the place Ryan started talking to them and didn't stop for the whole time we were there.  He ended up sitting beside Glen so he could tell him all about The Incredibles and Toy Story and I don't know what else.  I was booted from my chair by Nicholas so he could talk to the guys too.  Our boys are becoming little social butterflies!

So that's what our last few days have been like.  One other thing I want to mention is something that I have always taken for granted.  Until yesterday, it had never crossed my mind how thankful we all should be for...perforated toilet paper.  In all my life I have never had a roll of toilet paper that wasn't perforated, but now it has happened.  Somehow this particular roll (and I'm hoping it's just the one) missed the machine that makes it so easy to snap off just the right amount every time.  Because of the placement of our holder, I have to reach behind me to the wall and normally I would pull a little off then give it a yank to break the connection.  Without the perforations though, when I yank on it, it just rolls and rolls ridiculous amounts of paper onto the floor.  I have to rip the unusually strong tissue at the right spot then spend the next few minutes winding the extra back onto the roll.  It's incredibly frustrating since I can't seem to remember from one trip to the next that this roll is imperfect and requires extra time and care.  I am praying that the rest of the package isn't flawed like this one and I am too afraid to look.  I have a new appreciation for perforated toilet paper and I will no longer use the saying "the greatest thing since sliced bread".  Sliced bread has been replaced.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I will go to bed.  Goodnight everyone!


2 comments:

  1. You guy's have certainly been busy. Love the pictures, and the new bike looks great.....where is your helmet?
    Your circle of friends is sure expanding. I think perforated toilet tissue isn't the only thing we take for granted, our water too! I can't imagine our water being turned off and on, it is just always there.
    Carl and I had to make a trip to Gagetown on Tuesday, Darren forgot a basket of his clothes here when he left on Monday, and in that basket was all his warm gear (he wears it under his uniform when he is out in the field). He was going back out to the field on Thursday so he needed it. Acadian Lines are on strike in NB and Purolator would need a signature before they could leave the parcel so we left about 6:00am and took it up to him. We went to Saint John on the way home and had lunch with Marjorie and visited for a couple of hours, then headed for home. We were back by 5:00.
    Sheryl and I managed to get swimming Monday and Wednesday. It is not very busy at the pool, I am afraid it will probably be closing in the fall.
    Well Jan, must go and get some breakfast, take care and have a great day. Love to all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little bike Jan. Nice photos too! Talking about the water and toilet paper I guess we all take too many things for granted. I can see how both of those things would be a pain. Your weather is looking very nice in the photos. The boys are wearing summer clothes so it must be pretty warm. The weather here is nice but still chilly. Not shorts weather anyhow. Ellery's 4 on 4 tournament is almost over. Sunday is the last day. Hayden has been doing the clock for most of the games to help Stefan. It's always nice when the ice comes out and everyone has a break especially Ellery. I have one more hockey team to finish as soon as I get one child's photo which has to be photo shopped in. It has been a real pain this winter with people wanting to be put into team photos. I have decided next year not to offer the option. In fact, I am going to put it right on my order form. It has been really difficult chasing people down just to get the photo and in some cases I wasn't able to get it so that leaves a space in the photo where they were supposed to be. So then I end up moving a player over. It is tons of work. Most of these teams I did months ago and am just finishing them now. But it has been a very good year for photos as I have done about 49 teams. I really enjoy doing the photos. Stefan still hasn't heard back from the Police Academy. Hopefully he will soon. Mom has just finished 6 of her radiation treatments and feels pretty good. She is a bit tired but that is to be expected. She has 10 more to go 5 next week and 5 the next. Well must go and get some things done! Bye for now! Have fun biking and ripping toilet paper!

    ReplyDelete