Thursday, April 5, 2012

One whole year and still no...

April 5th, 2011, we arrived in China. It's been an exceptional year and we have settled into life here quite nicely. We've seen some interesting and surprising sights, eaten some amazing food and met some wonderful people. But, I have to mention the elephant in the room. I feel terrible about this. In all the time we have been here in Shenyang, we still have not seen the Great Wall of China. It's not like it's very far away. We could be there in 2.5 hours by car or a five hour train ride to Beijing. We had intentions of going when Mom was here in the fall but even with a month to get there, we still didn't make it. What's wrong with us??? All I can say is that we know we are going to be here for a while so we don't feel there isn't any big hurry. If we're not careful we could keep saying that and never see the most famous landmark of this country we are now calling home. We'd better get our butts in gear. I have a feeling we'll get there sometime in the next couple months or so. That's my goal anyway.

So, what did we do for our one year anniversary? Absolutely nothing. I figure since we forgot our wedding anniversary last year, we don't need to make too big a deal out of this one. It's just nice to have made it to this small milestone.

That's about it for now. Happy April 5th everyone!

2 comments:

  1. My goodness Jan, where did the time go. You have been to China, back home, Florida, back home, back to China and on to Thailand and then back to your home in China all in one year and then there were all the other exciting things you managed to do. I am sure this next year will be just as productive.
    I am sure you will get to the Great Wall of China soon.
    It was really chilly today, windy and damp. Darren is not coming home until Friday am, he only got about 6 hours of sleep last week so when he came in from the field this afternoon he went to bed.
    I don't know if you guys will be celebrating Easter or not, but Happy Easter!!
    Have a great weekend, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Jan you have a few more years to get to see the Great Wall of China. And you have seen so many more things since you got there. Most people travel there for a week or a month and that would be priority but because you are going to be there for a while you have to have something to look forward to. As far as celebrating, I think, you have been celebrating all year as you jumped all over the planet! And I know your adventures are far from over. I just hope you can keep us up to date on all of the fun! Enjoy your day!

    Bye for now!

    ReplyDelete