Sunday, April 1, 2012

My Weekend

I didn't have the greatest of weekends.  It wasn't awful or anything, just blah.  It did end on a very good note though, with the four of us going to supper with Anna, Dave, Sonny, Sue and our drivers.  On Tuesday Anna and Dave will leave Shenyang for Canada then they are off to Brazil in a couple weeks.  We are very sad to see them go.  We'll miss you guys!  On the bright side, they have decided to return to Shenyang next year and there's a chance (a good one I think!) that we will see them in September during our home trip;-).

Friday was a pretty good day.  We all had to go to immigration and have our pictures taken.  Our residency permit expires soon so last week we handed our passports over to get it renewed.  That went smoothly and after dropping Tim off at work the kids and I stopped at Carrefour for sushi.  We walked home, ate, then went out for a walk and bike ride.  The sun was nice was it was brisk.  The warm weather we had the week before is gone but I'm hoping it will return soon.

Yesterday I didn't leave the apartment but Tim and the kids did for a little while so it wasn't too bad.  Today I headed out on my own for some shopping.  After getting in the van though I could tell there was something very wrong with it.  It was hesitating and shaking so I asked Tian Ye about it.  He agreed that there was probably something wrong but didn't seem prepared to do anything.  I suggested that maybe we should get it fixed and since I was worried that the next time he turned it off it might not start up again, I asked if we could get another car to replace it before it died.  He called his boss and they did have a vehicle, a car, but we would have to keep it for four days.  It turns out the next three days are holidays here (Tim only has Wednesday off) so they say we will get it back on Thursday.  As I'm writing this though, I'm realizing that they probably won't even look at the thing until Thursday.  Crap!  The car is okay but it's small and very cramped with two car seats and three adults.  

I went to Metro and had a nice time shopping alone.  I was lucky to get four boxes of frozen blueberries (I bought them all!) and even a couple chocolate bunnies!  They are almost impossible to find here.  I looked at bicycles but couldn't decide on one for myself so instead I bought lights for the kids' bikes.  Ryan was really excited about his as he loves riding around Eastern Venice and now he'll be able to go at night.  Yesterday Nicholas came in because he was too cold but Ryan insisted on staying out longer.  That never happens!

Before I go, I want to wish my nephew, Brett, a very happy 11th birthday!  It was one year ago today that we said goodbye to him and the rest of our family in Nova Scotia then headed off on our adventure.  Thursday will be our one year anniversary of living in Shenyang.  It's been a great time and a wonderful experience.  We are very lucky!


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your one year in China! It's hard to believe a year has passed. You have been very busy. Hope you get your van fixed and back soon. At least they had another vehicle for you to use while the van is being fixed. We had a really nice weekend weather wise. Today is very sunny and warm. I was very busy finishing up the photos for the Curling Championships. There were closing ceremonies yesterday and the awards banquet. Devin helped me with the photos. I tend to panic now when I am doing something I can't do over in case my camera fails me. So I really appreciated the backup. Now we have to sort out the photos and delete the ones we won't be putting on the DVDs for them. I still have 3 hockey teams I am working on. We played bells in church this morning and them I took Mom out to lunch at Fletcher's. We had the fish chowder which was very delicious. I wore your China jacket to church last Sunday and it looked so nice. I got Ellery to take some photos of me with it on so I will email one to you. I got a really cute mauve top in Florida that just matches it. So it makes a nice outfit. It is a perfect jacket for spring. Thanks so much again, Jan! Well must go and download the photos I took yesterday and see how they turned out. Have a great day tomorrow! Bye for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy One Year Anniversary guys, hard to believe that you have been there a year. You have sure packed a lot into one year and got to see so much. Hope your Van isn't tied up too long. We have had three very nice days, sunny and warming up, summer is not too far away, Yea!!!!
    Stevie, Tracy and Hayden were in Cape Breton for the Provincials....which they won....Nova Scotia Bantam A Champs. They were very excited. Saturday Kenzie and I went to the Easter Egg Hunt at the park, after that we walked up to the falls, up the stairs and down the upper road to the pool. After lunch we decided to go to the Wild Life Park. It sure is different this time of year, pretty quiet. We had a good time roaming around and got to see some of the animals that usually are hidden in the summer due to the heat. We didn't do much today just lazed around and then Kenzie had bowling at 6:00. He is off to provincials on Saturday.
    I am tired tonight, have been doing the running around as Carl is still not really mobile yet. I am off to bed in a few minutes.
    Hope you guys have a great Monday, take care.

    ReplyDelete