Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Finally!

Anyone who has been to our home in China for supper will appreciate this post, although most of them probably won't read it.  Anyone else might find it mildly amusing, if they're having a boring day. 

I'm not the type of person that makes sure everything in my home is perfect.  Far from it.  I try to keep things tidy but I'm not much of a cleaner or decorator.  I figure I can spend time and money on things I'm better at, like travel.  For this reason, the following picture shows how, for the past year, we have presented our dinner guests with three important condiments: soy sauce, salt and pepper.


While in Thailand we almost bought a set of adorable elephant salt and pepper shakers.  I was trying to bargain with the guy and he wouldn't budge off 150 baht and I was stuck on 100.  Before you click on to a currency converter, that's about $4.50 versus $3.  I know, how ridiculous am I?  But it was the principal.  Anyway, we walked away without the shakers.

Before Dave and Anna left, they were kind enough to give us one of those disposable soy sauce dispensers that you buy at the grocery store.  I was a little slow filling it up and it accidentally got left on the counter beside the garbage can so my ayi threw it away.

I now believe all this happened for a reason because on Sunday we visited YooHoo and happened upon the perfect set of condiment dispensers for our situation.  It's adorable isn't it?


Now when we have people over for a meal we don't have to load the table up with tacky looking bottles and jars.  How's that for homemaking?!

Yesterday we had a morning of organizing and cleaning Nicholas's room followed by a visit from Amy and Joseph.  We played outside for a while, enjoying the warmer weather and beautiful blossoms on the trees.








Ryan was being a little dramatic in that last photo.  He wasn't actually hurt.

Today I finally had a Mandarin lesson after five months of being away from it.  I have another new teacher, Amanda, and she is very nice.  Just before she arrived I was dreading the lesson and thinking that perhaps I should just quit.  Apparently though, I still have a thirst for knowledge because two and a half hours after she arrived, I was eager to keep learning.  It always seems like such a hassle until a little while after we start at which point I really get into it.  Now if I can just bring myself to study...

Tomorrow I must go shopping as I am running dangerously low on soy milk, blueberries and my beloved dark chocolate from IKEA.  They have a new really, really dark chocolate and it's good!  The last time I was there they were sold out and I had to get my regular stuff.  Hopefully tomorrow will be a successful trip.  Goodnight all!

2 comments:

  1. That is a cute little condiment set on your table, good job!! Although my pickles and other condiments don't often make it out of the mason jars they do get in little dishes when I have company. Looks like spring has sprung in China, we are getting there but not as fast as I would like. The temperature was up to 22 on Sunday, 24 yesterday and today it is 17 so it is slowly coming. The boys are sure enjoying their bikes, great that they have a safe place to pedal. Hayden belongs to the bike club at school and he is anxious to get started again. I think they start next week. Ellery and Stefan are working on getting the ice out, ball hockey starts on the 23rd.
    Sheryl and I went swimming this morning, I told her I had to leave the pool at 9:30 as I had an appointment at 10:00, we got home in time and I went off to my appointment....a whole day early!! It is tomorrow at 10. What can I say, at least I wasn't a day late.
    I forgot to file our income tax when I did everyone's so I had to do that this morning. First I had to go and get ink for my printer so I could print them. I guess that I am not the smartest cookie in the cookie jar.
    Well Jan must go and hang out my laundry before it starts to rain.
    Have a great day. Hi to the boys and Tim. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table will look much nicer than mine cause I am not big on a fancy table setting. The food is what is important to me! But I do really like your condiment set and it will be so easy for clean up! ;0} The blossomed trees are so beautiful. Do they smell really nice too? We have some tiny buds but that is all. Emma and I went picking pussy willows yesterday. She didn't know what they were when I asked if she would like to come!! Do you have pussy willows in China? I gave some Darlene cause Hayden didn't remember what they were either. Stefan got his package from Holland Collage for the police officer course. He does his tests in May in PEI. His first test is at 8am so he will go the day before and stay over. If he doesn't pass the first test he will be told and he won't be writing the next ones. I think he said there are 3 that day. It will be interesting to see how he does. He has been studying for it. Devin has some great pictures on his site. I must get it for you so you can look at them. Maralee and Mike got back Monday from Jamaica and had a wonderful trip. Well I think my rice pudding should be done by now so I think I will go get some. Bye for now and have a great day! Again I love the photos!

    ReplyDelete