I guess I do now! Apparently moving to the other side of the world necessitates starting a blog. I was going to call it "Adventures in China" but in three or four years who knows where our little family will call home. For now, "Never Needed A Blog Before" will chronicle our experiences in Shenyang. I am not naturally a writer so there is a good chance you will see more pictures than funny stories or anecdotes, but I will do my best.
Wednesday, April 4, 2012
Time to wash the windows!
Spring has definitely arrived. Today was a holiday here in China so Tim had the day off. Since the government heat has been turned off, it seemed like a perfect day to get our windows washed. I don't know if I have ever explained how the heat works here. Basically, we have almost no control over our heat for the winter. The government provides heat through hot water (which the apartment owners have to pay for) and they decide when it's cold enough to be turned on in October/November and warm enough to be turned off in March/April. During November we had to walk around in t-shirts and shorts because it was so warm inside but since we returned from Thailand they have scaled back delivery and it's been chilly during the day. Now that April has arrived, it has been shut off completely. Don't worry about us though, we have an auxiliary heater/air conditioner that we use when we have to. Now, what does all this have to do with washing windows? Well, the hot water that the government provides is heated by coal. Dusty, black, (apparently) low grade coal that contributes to the poor air quality all winter. It leaves a terrible mess on the windows and until they stop heating the water with the coal, there is no point in cleaning them. It is not an easy task to clean them since we are on the sixth floor, but we have come up with a way that works pretty well without the danger of hanging out the window like a lot of the Chinese people do. We use a mop to scrub them then splash on large bowls of water to rinse off the soap. It leaves them looking almost new and everything went seamlessly until Tim was rinsing the last of the six windows. He didn't see a lady standing down below and managed to splash her with some cold water. He yelled out that he was sorry but she was mad. She went over and talked to some of the guards who were nearby then glared at us as she drove away on her scooter. We never got a call or visit so I guess they aren't going to bother with us. Oops!
It really feels like a Sunday here with Tim being off work today. I keep trying to remember what we did on the weekend that I can tell you about. Yesterday we went for a nice supper at the Japanese restaurant with just the four of us. Afterward it was such a lovely evening that we took the boys outside so they could ride around on their bikes in the dark. I bought them some lights just for this purpose and they were very excited to try them out. We had a great evening.
Aside from that there isn't a whole lot going on. I've had the kids outside on their bikes quite a bit. I must, must get one this weekend so I can keep up with them. We did meet up with some of their friends at the playground on Monday. Bill, Oliver and Peter were there and it was nice to see them again.
I'm still working on plans for our home trip. I have been searching for deals and booking stuff. It's fun! I love doing this stuff. Well, I must go get the boys ready for bed. Talk to you later!
Cute video of the boys! They have a perfect spot for riding their bikes. They are having lots of fun. I can see Aunt Darlene getting very dizzy watching them go round and round on the video.;o} Great way to wash your windows, I would like to have seen a picture of that. I am sure the lady didn't expect a shower but it would have been pretty funny to see. Darlene and I went swimming this morning. It is a beautiful day but still chilly here. It seems to start off nice in the morning then gets cloudy and colder as the day goes on. Maybe today will be different. Mom starts her radiation treatment today in Halifax. Michele my sister is taking her down and she is there for 2 days then I will pick her up on Thursday. She will have 14 more treatments after that. She will be glad to get past this. Well I hope you find a bike soon so you can keep up with your boys. You will have to get Tim to do a video of all three of you riding your bikes! Have a great day! Bye for now!
Jan, that lady must have gotten one heck of surprise when that water came from the sky. I think it is pretty funny as well. I should try washing my two kitchen windows like that. I can't reach them from inside and sure can't from the outside. Love the video of the boys riding their bikes, and Sheryl is right it did make me a little dizzy. It is a great place for them to bike and they look like they are having fun. I just hung out Hayden's hockey jerseys and it is really chilly out there. It is quite windy. Nothing much exciting going on around here, Darren will be back either Thursday or Friday and he will be here until Monday. Paige called on Sunday and told me they were flying home for Easter, I was so excited, I told her that I wouldn't tell anyone and it could be a surprise...her reply....good Nana and April Fools. She said her mother told her to call. She thought it was very funny. I have the boys for supper tonight so must go and see about getting something out to cook. You guys have a great day, Hugs for Nick & Ryan, Hi to Tim. Take Care.
Cute video of the boys! They have a perfect spot for riding their bikes. They are having lots of fun. I can see Aunt Darlene getting very dizzy watching them go round and round on the video.;o}
ReplyDeleteGreat way to wash your windows, I would like to have seen a picture of that. I am sure the lady didn't expect a shower but it would have been pretty funny to see. Darlene and I went swimming this morning. It is a beautiful day but still chilly here. It seems to start off nice in the morning then gets cloudy and colder as the day goes on. Maybe today will be different. Mom starts her radiation treatment today in Halifax. Michele my sister is taking her down and she is there for 2 days then I will pick her up on Thursday. She will have 14 more treatments after that. She will be glad to get past this. Well I hope you find a bike soon so you can keep up with your boys. You will have to get Tim to do a video of all three of you riding your bikes! Have a great day!
Bye for now!
Jan, that lady must have gotten one heck of surprise when that water came from the sky. I think it is pretty funny as well. I should try washing my two kitchen windows like that. I can't reach them from inside and sure can't from the outside.
ReplyDeleteLove the video of the boys riding their bikes, and Sheryl is right it did make me a little dizzy. It is a great place for them to bike and they look like they are having fun.
I just hung out Hayden's hockey jerseys and it is really chilly out there. It is quite windy.
Nothing much exciting going on around here, Darren will be back either Thursday or Friday and he will be here until Monday.
Paige called on Sunday and told me they were flying home for Easter, I was so excited, I told her that I wouldn't tell anyone and it could be a surprise...her reply....good Nana and April Fools. She said her mother told her to call. She thought it was very funny.
I have the boys for supper tonight so must go and see about getting something out to cook.
You guys have a great day, Hugs for Nick & Ryan, Hi to Tim.
Take Care.