Sunday we were all going to go to Beiling Park but Ryan didn't seem to be feeling great so instead Tim and the boys stayed home while Mom and I ventured out. First we went to Zhong Jie (Middle Street) but didn't stay too long as it was busy and we weren't in the mood for shopping, or so I thought. After a stop at Starbucks we went to the Exhibition Hall to have a look around since I realized that Mom had never been there. I've only been a few times but it's great. Parts of it are like a farmer's market while others have unique clothes, jewelry, bags and almost anything you can imagine. Although we hadn't been interested in shopping at Zhong Jie, this place sucked us in. We bought pajamas for Mom, a sparkly top for me, hair do-dads, and cashmere wraps.
All that shopping worked up an appetite so we headed to Minakami's, our favorite Japanese restaurant, for lunch. Yes, I had just been there on Friday night but Mom really like it so I forced myself to go again (Ha!). The food was fantastic, as usual, and so was the company. We took home some leftovers for the boys and it was great.
Monday was Ayi's first day back since Mom arrived and she was quite surprised to find her here. We decided it was a great day for a walk but first wanted to get the new tires on the wagon so we could take it with us. When I came back after Christmas I brought pneumatic tires to replace the crappy plastic ones that came with the wagon. They kept cracking. After a couple hours of fighting to get the old hubs to fit into the new tires (this involved melting plastic with a hair dryer) we had a fully functioning wagon, with smooth, quiet wheels. We strapped it on to the back of my bike with a bungee cord and loaded it up with a picnic. The boys got on their bikes, Mom borrowed Sue's, and off we went to the park. After a twenty minute or so ride, we parked by a couple of bouncy houses and turned our wagon into a bench. For the next three and a half hours the boys ran from our picnic site to the houses and back. They completely wore themselves out. It was fantastic!
| The boys love having Nanny here! |
| Above and below: Couples getting engagement/wedding photos done. |
| Ryan jumped on the exercise machine with the lady already on it. She didn't mind until I snapped the picture, then she left. |
Today was a holiday here, May Day, and Tim had it off. We had such a great time at the park yesterday, we decided to go back. It was sunny and hot and lovely. We went back to the bouncy houses until their power failed with a bunch of kids inside. Tim rescued our boys and we were going to go home but instead ended up on the bumper boats. It was really fun. By the time we were done those the houses were back up and running so Ryan went back inside. Nick, much to my surprise, wanted to try out these inflatable things they have on the pond. I don't know what they're called but they remind me of a hamster wheel. At one time Nicholas wouldn't even have considered going on this stuff, but he's really gained some confidence lately. I'm hoping that is a sign that he is ready for school.
| The bouncy house deflating. |
| My little hamster! |
Eventually we made our way home and had some sushi for lunch. We went back outside so the boys could practice their baseball while Mom and I walked to the fruit market. After that she and Nick came back inside while Tim and I took Ryan to the playground. On the way two different people asked us in Chinese where Nicholas was today. Nice that they are concerned about us.
That's all the good stuff that has happened here over the last three days. Now for the not-so-good, hence my title. Our illustrious chauffeur, Tian Ye, is no longer our driver. Without getting into the dirty details, I will give you the basic reason why. Over the last two months, despite our best efforts, our relationship with Tian Ye has deteriorated. Not coincidentally, this has happened at the same time as some major changes in his personal life. We have overlooked some things and done our best to be understanding (the major changes are things that should be positives for him, no one has died or anything) but after some recent incidents we just can't look the other way anymore. Basically, we feel we have treated him very well since he became our driver and lately he has completely taken advantage of our generosity, while at the same time being cranky and giving us attitude despite his claim that he is "very happy". After two conversations, one Sunday and another Monday, we decided that there was no way this relationship could ever go back to the way it was and Tim ended it. It was difficult to do but we feel it's for the best. We're not sure when we will get a new driver, we should know more tomorrow when Tim returns to work. In the meantime, we are very lucky to have offers of assistance from other expats. I do think we have learned something from this experience. I am realizing that it's best to keep the relationship with our driver as just that, a relationship with a driver. Not a friend. Not family. Just a driver.
Anyway, it's time to move on. The next couple of days are a bit up in the air but will be good I'm sure. I need to buy train tickets for our trip to Beijing next week as well as getting Mom and the boys all they will need for a fun filled five days. The weather looks good for the next week so I'm sure they will have a great time.
Till next time!
Jan, what a lovely park. I can see why the boys were exhausted playing in the bouncy houses. Also love the bumper boats and the hamster wheels. They had something similar over on the Island when we were there last summer but they were plastic bubbles and were completely enclosed.
ReplyDeleteNice for you and your mom to get out together and get a chance to visit one on one.
Hopefully you will get your new driver before the end of the week.
Andy stopped in for a visit after I was talking to you yesterday, she arrived when I was hanging my clothes on the line (just after lunch) and she left when I was bringing them in around 3:45. She is going to take the boys and I Geo Cashing when it warms up some, I think they will love it and I know I would enjoy it.
Sheryl and I went swimming this morning, the water was nice and warm, good thing as I was freezing. It warmed up to day, I think Carl said it got up to 14 and we had lots of sunshine. It is supposed to be nice all week, but that could change at any time.
You guys have a great day, take care.
Jan the park looks like so much fun! The photos are really cute! We are having some really nice days here now but it can change very quickly. Sorry to hear things didn't work out with Tian Ye. He seemed to fit in so well at first. Hopefully you get a new driver soon. Mom and I were going to go down to visit with Aunt Helen but Mom is still feeling very tired from her treatments. It will take a while to feel like herself again. So I'm not sure if we will get away today or not. She will let me know. Well must go and get some work done. Say Hi to your Mom and everyone for me. I'm so glad she is having a wonderful visit. I will be anxious to see her photos when she gets back and all her goodies she buys! Have a fun day! Bye for now!
ReplyDelete