Well, I think he is. We filled out all the paperwork and he had an interview with the teacher today. He did great and his teacher is very sweet. He even saw some kids he knew which made him feel good. We visited the classroom he will be in and it's nice. The bathrooms have walls and doors which is great! There are even tiny, western style toilets. Overall he seems excited about going and that makes me very happy! Now he just has to have a physical (I don't think blood work this time!) but it can be done at Global Doctor so it should go more smoothly than those other two times. I shudder just thinking about those days...
After our trip to the school we went to IKEA so I could stock up on chocolate. I have been without for a few days and it's not pleasant. When you get to the third floor of IKEA there is a playroom for kids but I have never taken the boys in. Today I decided we would try it out and it was great. You can leave your kids there while you shop. All you have to do is fill out a form then they give you half of it and put a sticker on your child. To retrieve your kid you must have the paper that matches the child's sticker. I can't imagine though that they wouldn't know which ones are mine, unless of course there happen to be other expats there. The funny thing was, I wrote down the kids' ages on the forms - 3 and 5 - and handed them to the woman. She looked at Ryan's and said, "Oh no. It must be four." So, I scratched out the 3 and put down 4. She just sort of laughed and shook her head and said okay. Now I know that when we go to IKEA, Ryan must be 4. If I thought the place was too old for him I wouldn't let him go in, but he was fine. He's pretty close now anyway.
I had a nice stroll around IKEA all by myself and bought a couple things, including ten of my chocolate bars. I went back and got the kids who didn't want to leave then we went down for ice cream cones. We waited in a pretty long line up but got them and headed for the elevator. As we got in Nicholas looked down and his ice cream followed his eyes. Splat! Right onto the elevator floor. We quickly jumped out and went back to the line up for another. The things we do for kids!
So, that was our day, aside from some cleaning. I was on Skype this morning talking to my aunt and faithful commenter, Darlene, about our home trip coming up in September. I have eight of ten flights booked and she asked me how I keep it all straight. I showed her my binder with all the itineraries in it and was going through them when I noticed a problem. On the last flight from Beijing to Shenyang, we were flying out on October 20th. That's great except we don't land in Beijing until the 21st. Oops! I called Air China and was expecting it to cost as much to change the flight as it did to book it. Not so! I explained my error and she fixed it in about ten seconds with no charge. Awesome! That's great customer service. One day soon I will tell you about the itinerary for our home trip. It's busy but should be fun.
I must go get some supper ready. Have a great day!
Glad to hear that Nick is enrolled, he must have been pretty excited to see some friends there. Hopefully he won't need a blood test.
ReplyDeleteWhat a neat idea to provide supervision at the play center so parents can shop in peace. I must ask Tricia if the new IKEA in Ottawa provides that service. I know the place is huge, three floors I think she said.
Nice that it didn't cost anything to change that flight. Even with your book I don't know how you manage to keep track. If that were me I wouldn't know if I was coming or going, both of which you will be doing lots of!!
There is no swimming this morning so I got what little bit of cleaning up I had left to do done this morning. Guess I will head over to Tracy and Steve's to help out over there.
Hope things get back to normal for you guys this week (I am sure that chocolate will help). Have a great day, take care.
Jan, it is great to hear that Nick is enrolled and pleased about it. How nice for Nick and you! The school sounds wonderful compared to his last one and bathrooms with doors and toilets just put the icing on the cake. We take our standards for granted in Canada! Good thing you were checking your itineraries, that was an 'oops' that was good to find. It will save you stress down the road or should I say runway! Well it is another really beautiful day here. What a perfect long weekend for all of us especially campers and cottagers just getting started for the season. I hope this is a sign of what is to come. We are really hoping that our weather in Alaska is good. Well I have lots of things to do today so must get started. Bye for now. Have a great day!
ReplyDelete