My mom left today. We took her to the airport this morning. It was a great two weeks that, of course, went by too fast. I was hoping to start with a blog about Shanghai tonight but I just don't have the energy. I'm wiped out.
You already know a little about the drama that went on with Tian Ye a couple weeks ago but there's been even more stuff going on that, unfortunately, coincided with Mom's visit. The driver situation was the worst of it. After a couple days of driving with Tian Ye she totally understood why we had to call it quits with him, but it didn't make her stay with the kids any easier. Although Ma is working out okay, he doesn't speak enough English or she enough Chinese for her to have felt comfortable taking the kids out touring while we were in Shanghai. She said they had fun and managed just fine, but I still felt bad about the timing. Luckily it wasn't her first visit so she wasn't too worried about seeing a lot of sights here in Shenyang and we aren't the types to let someone or something like that ruin a vacation.
Now for the other minor irritations. While Tim and I were sitting at a bus stop in Shanghai we received a call from our housing agent. I believe I mentioned in a previous post that our downstairs neighbor came to our door one night to tell us that water from our bathroom was leaking into hers. Well, they now had more water and wanted to come (again) to have a look. I called Mom and we set up an appointment for the following day. Now, the first thing most people would do when looking for the source of a leak is what? Turn on the water, right? Not these geniuses. They simply looked at the taps and the drain on the floor and decided to replace some parts. When Mom tried to close the curtain and turn on the water the response was "No no no!". Fast forward to this past Sunday morning when I received another call from our agent. More water in the neighbor's apartment. She told me that the landlord wanted to come that morning to have the floor sealed (?) and that we wouldn't be able to use the bathroom for twenty-four hours. I said, "Fine. What time?". Her reply, "He's standing outside your door now".
The landlord and his "plumber" (he wasn't actually a tradesman) came in to inspect and see what they would need. While the faux-plumber left to get parts, Tim and Mom removed a loose tile located directly below the taps and overflow. Mom turned on the water and sprayed it while Tim looked under the tub with a flashlight. The water was pouring out of the overflow and down the side of the wall past the loose tile and into the floor. In seconds there was a huge puddle sitting underneath our tub. No wonder they were getting water coming through their ceiling! When the landlord and faux-plumber returned Tim asked them to come into the bathroom so he could show them. Again, when he began to turn on the water, the response was, "No no no." He said, "Yes!" and turned it on anyway. Then he gave the flashlight to the landlord and told him to look under the tub. He was willing but the faux-plumber refused until Tim got a little more forceful and said, "LOOK!". He did then Tim directed them to the other side of the wall where there are water stains running up the paper. Finally they accepted that the problem wasn't in the drain on the floor but the water seeping through places that it shouldn't be. It's a really poor design (if you can call it that) and although they applied some caulking and a gasket, I'm pretty sure that it's only a matter of time before it starts leaking again. In the meantime, those same neighbors now have a dog that howls for hours on end while they are away. We haven't complained because we know the kids can be a little rowdy occasionally and they have never said anything, but I'm not sure how long we can keep listening while this poor animal cries and barks, especially at night when we're trying to sleep.
Anyway, once the caulking was done the faux-plumber also "fixed" the wallpaper in our bedroom. It is bubbling, peeling off and molding underneath because of moisture and their solution was to glue it back down. Our response to these issues, as well as other little things popping up, will be to start looking for a new place early next year (or sooner if need be). Although many places here have the illusion of being grand, they only stay that way for a short time then begin to decline quickly. Quality craftsmanship is not a priority. The best thing to do is find a place that is newly renovated and stay no longer than two years. We're hoping we can find something with a balcony or yard so the kids can play and we can sit out and barbecue.
While all this was going on we also got word that Ayi had lost her set of keys to our apartment. Sigh. We found her a temporary replacement key and today she had someone come to replace the locks. I know she felt bad and I said that we would pay to replace it because it's a lot of money for her, but she insisted that it was her mistake and she would pay. We did make it a little easier by only having the lock on the outside door replaced (we have two doors (an inner and an outer), don't ask me why).
Bundle all this with emails about income tax, a baby shower and pension problems flooding my phone, and it was definitely pouring here. But, now that I have gotten that off my chest, I will go back to the fun stuff. Over the next few days I will do some posts about our Shanghai and Beijing trips with lots of pictures. Until then, have a great day!
Oh my gosh Jan what a nightmare to come home to!!!
ReplyDeleteHopefully things will get better. I can't imagine trying to sleep with a barking dog below you. I don't understand why people can't realize that most dogs do not like being alone and they usually show their displeasure by barking up a storm.
I think it is probably a good idea to try and find a new place to live, especially when you are probably going to be there for four more years.
Darren spent his last weekend with us, he is headed back to Pet on Wednesday. He is sure glad this course is finished and is anxious to get home. They will be back the 1st of July for two weeks which will be nice.
Sheryl and I went swimming this morning, the water was really nice and it wasn't busy at 7:30.
Tracy and I are going to look for flooring at lunch time, then I might try to work on my flower beds. It is supposed to be nice today but it is cloudy right now, hopefully the sun will come out later.
Looking forward to your future blogs and pictures from your two trips.
Hope you have a better few days, take care.
Sorry to hear Jan that you are having so many issues all at once and at a time that you just wanted to enjoy your Mom's visit. But like you said you are an optimist and things will work out for you. I agree that a new apartment is probably in your near future. One thing we can always count on is change. So glad to hear that you had wonderful trips and will enjoy looking at your photos and sharing the stories. We had a nice weekend. I went to yoga Friday night and Saturday morning which all ways makes me feel so good. When I got home Stefan gave me two large lobsters for Mother's Day and of course I had to each one right then. They were very tasty. Then Saturday Ellery and I mowed the grass and Verna and Randy came in for a visit. Devin dropped in with a gift and card. Sunday morning Emma played bells in church and after church Mom, Michele and I went for brunch at the Holiday Inn. It was delicious. Then Ellery, Stefan and I got my gazebo built for my back deck and I really like it. Dev, Sam (his girlfriend), Stefan, Angie, Ellery and I all went out to Frank and Gino's for supper. I am very blessed! I'll be waiting to hear the details of your trip. Hope you have a better week. Bye for now!
ReplyDelete