That's been the last couple of days. It's been rainy here and although yesterday it did stop for a good part of the day, we only went as far as the recently opened shop at Galaxy Bay, a new apartment complex next to Eastern Venice. They have "fresh" blueberries there and since I haven't been able to get my usual frozen ones at Metro, I've resort to those. When I went to pay I ended up being a little short on cash but they let me go without putting any of my fruit back. It was very nice of them but left me with a bad feeling so when we got home I left the kids with Ayi and went back to give them the difference. Since I had already walked that far I decided to keep going and got a couple groceries from Carrefour and a little sushi for our lunch. It was nice to walk and browse on my own.
Tuesday we went to the doctor for Nicholas to have a TB test (it's required for school) and so all three of us could get another vaccination. I didn't tell the boys that we were going until shortly before we left, mostly because Nick gets himself very worked up when he knows he's getting a needle. By the time we got to the hospital he was really nervous and making little whimpering noises. I had tried telling him to relax but it wasn't working so Ryan blurted out, "Oh Nicky! Stop whining. I'll be good". I had to stifle my laugh and Nick, who was a little hurt, rebutted with, "Well, Ryan, how would you feel if you had to get four needles?" and on and on (even though he was only getting two). The TB skin test wasn't too bad, they injected a small amount of liquid just under the skin on his arm. He handled it well but was still scared about the vaccination. As it turned out, after waiting around for a while, we were informed that the nurse had called the health department and they advise against getting this particular vaccine during the summer months. So, we are all off the hook for that one, at least until October.
Since they had done well at the doctor I decided a reward was in order. I suggested a movie but the boys both thought that a toy would be better. Fair enough, we headed to a market similar to Wu'ai but cleaner and quieter. After searching for a bit, Nicholas chose a selection of dinosaurs (that's what he's "into" now) and Ryan decided after "really wanting" several different toys, that he didn't really need anything and just wanted to go home. Huh? Who is this kid and what has he done with my son? In the end, as we were leaving, he did find one cheap GI Joe-like figurine and said he would get that, but just the one. No more. Okay, I'm not one for arguing. Perhaps since he didn't get a needle while Nicholas did, he thought that he shouldn't get rewarded. Who knows.
I had my Chinese lesson today and organized some of the travel info for our upcoming trip. I have a folder to keep things organized and although most things have been booked for a while, we are starting to get a little more excited as we look through all of our documents. I checked in for our cruise today and printed off luggage tags - that makes it seem a little more real. Only a little over two months and we'll be off again! Thank goodness.
I guess that's it for now. Tomorrow we have a quick trip back to the doctor to check the results of the TB skin test then we will do some shopping for groceries and a few more school supplies. Should be fun!
I think the TB test was one of the nastiest tests I ever had to get. I had to have one before I could work for the school system back home (in between semesters of college), and then when I was pregnant (when we were in California). However, it came back positive when I was pregnant and I had to do the 9 months of INH therapy. My doctor here (in GA) said she would like to retry it, she thinks the first test was a fluke.
ReplyDeleteDid they say why they advised getting it in the summer months? That's something I've never heard of, but then again - different country/culture than ours!
Ryan reminds me of Natalee (my youngest). She is all the time "fussing" at her brother to "stop hurting mommy's ears" (if he yells) or "stop whining Jonathan, I not like it" (she's 3, so her grammar is often "cute" but not quite right).
Hope the rain lets up for you guys soon. It just started here, first time in weeks we've had any significant amount of rain. Only problem is, the dog can't run off his energy outside. =(
Nice for you and the boys that the vaccinations were put off for a bit. I'm sure that made Nick feel much better. The TB test didn't sound too bad.
ReplyDeleteVerna came up today and we have been working on photos from our cruise most of the day. We each have over 1,500 photos to scrapbook. We think we did pretty good to go from 5,000 to 1,500. There are so many but it is so neat to be able to look at them and see our whole trip! Verna is staying at Aunt Vivie's tonight and then she will be up again tomorrow to organize more photos. We went to Scott's tonight to bring a generator to him. We visited with them a while then went to Roger's for a visit. I had never seen their home so that was fun. We had a great visit.
Ellery and Stefan built a new doorstep for Tricia this week.
Dev is still checking out apartments in Halifax.
Well must go to bed. Must get up early tomorrow to work on photos. Have a great day.
Bye for now!
Leave it to Ryan to straighten Nick out, but I don't blame Nick for not wanting to get a needle, be it one or four.
ReplyDeleteNice for you to get out shopping by yourself I know that doesn't happen often.
We haven't been doing very much with the temperature being so hot. The boys have been swimming and when the temp gets to 30 they stay inside. Andy and Dale were down for a swim, Andy wanted to get cooled off before her bike ride. Tricia and her family have been at the camp grounds all week, they will be home today so I probably will have some swimmers this weekend.
Hayden plays ball hockey Tuesday night and if they lose he will be finished. He plays on two teams, and one of his teams lost last night so they are out of the playoffs.
He will then concentrate on ball and it will be finished by the end of July.
I am not swimming this morning, I wanted to get some dusting and vacuuming done before it gets too warm, so I had better get back to it.
You guys have a great evening, take care.