Friday, July 6, 2012

"We've lost you"

That's what Tim told me last night after I spent a good part of the day and the entire evening reading.  He hates it when I read and I can't really blame him.  When I get into a good book I have a difficult time putting it down and will neglect the children, him and my blog (apparently).  Yesterday I stopped a few times, long enough to play with the kids and twenty minutes to make supper, but that was about it.  This is why I haven't read in a long time.  Some friends talked me into getting the Fifty Shades trilogy (I know, I know) and I am into the second book which is much more addictive than the first.  The only reason I'm actually writing now is because I have willed myself to not pick up the iPad to continue where I left off last night.  However, I have come up with a plan for today so I can get back into it.


Yesterday and today I have been unable to go anywhere for the most amusing reason.  It turns out that our new driver, whose livelihood comes from driving people around, has allowed his license to expire.  Brilliant!  Although he's able to still drive Tim to and from work, he informed me on Wednesday that during the next few days he would have to go sit at the Chinese equivalent of a DMV and wait for his turn to write the test.  Apparently this process can take several day so at this point I don't know when I will have him at my disposal again.  Tim has informed him though, that if this stretches into next week, he will have to find a replacement until he gets his permit.  I'm beginning to think that Jessica was right, we are cursed when it comes to transportation.


For today I think the kids and I will walk up to Carrefour where they can play at Happy City while I get my reading fix.  It's very hot and not great for playing outside so that is the next best thing, especially since yesterday we didn't go anywhere and tonight Tim and I are going out.  Lena is babysitting for us and I should try to tire the boys out a little for her.  We have been invited to a wedding celebration for co-worker of Tim's and it will be my first experience with this.  I guess they were married a couple weeks ago in a different city so this celebration is for their friends here.  It should be interesting and I will try to get some pictures.


Earlier this week we made another trip to the indoor water park with Angie, Madi and Owen.  It was lots of fun and the boys wore themselves out.  Ryan was a little cranky on Tuesday so I was glad that I had finally arranged for Lena to come watch the boys while I went out shopping with Jessica.  We went to Shoe City - a market solely for shoes (pardon the pun!) - but were unable to find anything we liked in our size.  Our feet are just a little too big for China.  We also went to the fabric market and out for lunch then Jessica went to Wu'ai while I came back home.  As I was waiting for a ride outside of Wu'ai,  I watched as a couple on a bicycle ran into the door of a taxi that a woman had opened without checking to see if anything was coming. No one was seriously hurt but it looked pretty painful for the woman on the back of the bike.

On Wednesday, the boys and I went to Angie's place for a bit then we all walked down to the park where some people had organized a picnic for Independence Day.  We had a very nice time getting to know some new expats and the kids had a lot of fun playing soccer and football.

So, we've had a pretty busy week up until I was told that Wang "wouldn't have time for me" these last two days.  For some reason, knowing you can't go anywhere is much more difficult than just deciding to stay home because you don't want to go.  Unless we watch TV or play the Wii the boys get bored and start irritating each other and me.  I keep thinking that it's only five and a half weeks until Nicholas starts school and I believe he will be very happy to get there.  He seems much more ready this year (he doesn't whine and say, "I don't want to go") and he knows that some of his friends will be there so I think he will actually be excited by the time August 15th rolls around.  We are planning to go get him more school supplies and shoes this weekend.

I guess that's it for now.  I'll try and write again soon, depending on how my reading goes.  In the meantime, here are a few pictures from the last couple weeks.  I hope everyone's  having a great summer!













When this lady at our little market offered to cut up our pineapple I had no idea she would go into such detail.  It was awesome!



2 comments:

  1. It is very difficult to put down a good book. I have heard different opinions on the Fifty Shades series, Lisa is reading it and I think Tricia is as well. I haven't read the books, will wait and see what they think of them.

    Too bad about your driver, I guess the Chinese are really very laid back, you would think that making sure he had his license would be a top priority.

    It does make a difference when the choice to stay home or not is removed from the equation. I felt the same way when we downsized to one vehicle. It seemed every time I wanted to go somewhere the "one" vehicle we had was gone.

    We have had a busy week, and it went so quickly. Our trip to Upper Clements was great. We had excellent weather and were at a great camp site in Delaps Cove. We were only minutes away from the wharf, so we spent some time rock hounding and looking for beach glass. We also walked on the Wilderness Trail. the scenery was really magnificent as the trail partly followed the cliffs above the water. it took about an hour and there were lots of look offs and water spots. The kids had a blast at Upper Clements park, they spent most of their time on the Flume ride and the roller coaster.We were all tired by the time we got back to our site. We had a bonfire both nites and roasted marshmellows and made smores. We left for home around 10:00 Thursday morning, Darren, Tricia and girls came straight back home and we made a detour to Lunenburg to drop Stevie and the boys off at the Cyr cottage. We were about an hour from the camp site when I realized that I didn't have my purse. I had hung it on the bedroom door at our cottage and forgot it. I called and they mailed it to me. It would have added two more hours on to our driving time to go back, that would have been a total of six and half hours of driving to get home. Way too much driving for me!!

    Darren and family have headed out to PEI for the next week and Shawn, Lisa and Bree are going as well so it is very quiet here and will be for the next couple of days. They will leave next Friday from the Island to go home. Tracy, Carl and I will go to Lunenburg either Saturday or Sunday to pick up the boys.

    Today is catch up day. Laundry which will take up most of the day as all the pool towels have to be washed and I should do the banking for the rink and my own(but..can't do mine until I get my purse back) and then catch up on some rest. I just might do some reading and relaxing beside the pool. It is only 10:00 at the temp is already at 23, going to be a beautiful day.

    Well Jan must get going and get started on the agenda, you guys have a great weekend and I hope your driver gets his license back today.

    Hugs and kisses to the little boys, hi to Tim. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Jan with your driver unable to drive it does give you some time to do more of your reading. I am really not an avid reader but when I get a really interesting book started I find it very hard to put it down until it is finished. Dev has some books that I really enjoyed reading.

    So glad Nick is positive about school. It makes it so much easier for you and him. It's great he has friends to go with.

    The photos of the kids are so cute. I think I would like to have someone peal pineapple for me that way. I waste a lot of it when I peal it.

    I had a fun visit with Paige and Kaitlyn. They are so sweet and love to be busy. We made cookies and went for several walks up through the trailer court and I painted their nails. They loved that they had so many relatives (cousins) here in NS. Verna and I worked on our trip photos yesterday. She and Randy came up for the day so he could visit with Aunt Vivi and she could scrapbook with me and celebrate her birthday. It was yesterday. We got a lot of stuff organized but no scrapbooking done. It is going to take a while. We know which pictures we are printing now so that is a start. The girls came to say goodbye to me as they would be leaving for PEI at 6am so they had some of Verna's birthday cake and got some photos with more cousins. I will miss them.

    I am going up to Dev's this after noon to pick out which photos of his I want to print. He has so many beautiful ones.

    Well must go Jan. Have a great day! Hopefully your driver is driving soon.

    ReplyDelete