For the last couple of weeks Tim has taken to walking around Eastern Venice in the evenings while Nicholas plays soccer. This has never been his preferred method of exercise but he's been raving about how wonderful it is to turn on some tunes and stroll. I've been doing almost nothing because it's been either too hot or rainy to take the kids biking in the park and they don't want to walk anywhere. As a result I've been a little cranky and negative. Finally, last night, after a stressful couple of days, I took Tim's advice and threw on my running shoes, grabbed my iPhone and went for a stroll in the park. I ended up going as far as the round-about in one direction, then on the way back I went right past Eastern Venice and continued as far down to the other end as I could. It was great to just fill my head with music and thoughts of travel as I enjoyed the beautiful blue skies and green scenery of the park. What was really interesting to me was... actually there were two things. First, I noticed that most people here do not walk on the left side of the road so they can face traffic. There were only a few cars on occasion anyway, but almost everyone I saw was walking on the right with the bicycles. Second, I still, after almost 16 months here, cannot believe we are living in China! As I listened to the tunes that I used to walk or run to on the treadmill, I thought back and to those days and never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined I'd be listening to the same music on the other side of the world a few years later. I suppose that also indicates that I should update my playlist. Some of those songs take me back to my teenage years. Tonight I managed to get out again and hopefully I can keep it up. It would be nice to have my clothes a little looser before cruise time!
On Friday we had a busy day that started out at the hospital. Nicholas had to have his TB skin test results checked and after that we ended up going to Wu'ai Market with Angie and her kids. It was a bit chaotic, Wu'ai is like that at the best of times, and eventually we had to split up because so many people we interested in the kids and we were having a difficult time getting to look for the items we wanted. I ended up finding a water bottle for Nick to take to school and the boys got a couple of cute watches. Unfortunately one guy there really ticked me off when he grabbed Ryan's head in his two hands and gave it a wiggle. He didn't hurt him or anything but when I got irritated with him for doing it he actually made fun of me. Damn me for forgetting to use my Chinese curse words at the appropriate time! We looked around for a while longer until everyone was good and hungry then off we went to YooHoo for lunch and groceries. It was delicious!
Saturday Tim and Wang dropped us off at WuLiHe park near to the playground that I usually tow the kids to in the wagon. It was too hot for that yesterday but the boys had fun in the shaded bouncy houses and trampoline. As we were leaving, I was distracted by a woman touching Nick's hair and when I looked up Ryan was fighting off the woman's friend who was trying to pick him up. Again my trucker mouth was lost but they knew I was angry. What did they do about it? They laughed. Then I glared. They walked away. It's weird how the closer we are to getting away from China for a while, the shorter my fuse is with people that feel the need to touch my kids. I suppose the good thing is that my boys have no problem telling people to back off, pushing them away or screaming if they have to. It's good training I suppose. I've told them over and over that no one here is trying to hurt them but that they are free to shove people's hands away or, if that doesn't stop them, to slap at them. I hate to do that but sometimes it's necessary.
Aside from those frustrations everything is moving along fine here. Nicholas starts school one month from today (Yay!) and only another month after that it will be time for us to pack up and get on the road again, I can't wait to get on the road again. Have I mentioned this recently? I'm afraid I'm sounding like a broken record.
In the meantime, I notice I still have readers from Canada as well as from many other countries around the world. If you enjoy reading my drivel, drop me a comment or an email. I'd love to hear from you!
Here are a few pictures from the park. Until next time...
We are going school supplies shopping today. I swear my kids just got out of school, and here we are shopping for supplies again! School starts on the 6th here (too early in my opinion). School is SC starts the 3rd week of August - oh how I wish we were there!
ReplyDeleteI understand people are fascinated by the blond haired (adorable) boys, but good gracious apparently manners (and common courtesy) aren't universal! I guess they think because they are small, they won't say anything. I'm glad the boys can "fight back" so to speak.
I took Riley for a walk 2 nights ago to tire him out, it's been rainy and he's been wild cooped up inide. It worked, and it was nice to listen to nature and take a stroll. I did it again yesterday morning, and again last night. Last night we went for a longer walk, and Jonathan joined me on his bike. The only problem was now I have a blister on my ankle from my shoe rubbing. Guess bandaids will be on my list today too! I'd like my clothes to be a good bit looser before my 32nd birthday (in December!). I need to find another pair of earbuds, not sure where mine are.
I'm sure my tunes need an update too...early 00's Black Eyed Peas....late 90's pop, mixed with Metallica and current country. Eclectic - yes...but music is good for the soul (and the exercise good for the body)
Jan sounds like you are having some summer blues but now that you have rediscovered walking I'm sure it won't take you long to shake that off. The photos are really nice.
ReplyDeleteIt's great the the boys can stand up for themselves. I can't believe how rude they can be in China. You certainly wouldn't get away with touching children like that here in Canada and to think that they find it funny!
The weather has been amazing here. The sun has been shining for days (except for at night) and I am enjoying every bit of it. We probably would have gone to the cottage today or even last night except that I took group photos for the World Blind Golf Tournament. I have to go back to the golf course and take more this evening.
I can imagine that Nick is excited about going to school. Ryan will miss him but I'm sure you will keep him busy.
Well must go. Have a great day!
Hey Jan,
ReplyDeleteStill love reading your blog. It always makes me miss China!! I used to love my walks in the park. It's not quite the same here but I really have to find a place I like to walk soon. Summer is going fast... Can't believe Nick will soon be in school.
Miss you guys lots!!!
Take care my friend
Jan I too love Patsy Cline, I have the four CD's from the Patsy Cline Collection on my I Pod, I never get tired of listening to her. Glad to hear that you are back to walking, great relaxer and great exercise.
ReplyDeleteI find it amazing at how inconsiderate people can be. I wonder how they would like someone pawing at them every time they went out. It is good that the boys do try to push them away, but they are still little and shouldn't have to do that.
Hard to believe that Nick will start school in a month. He will have so much fun, and I think Ryan (although he will miss Nick) will enjoy his time with you and his friends.
Trish, Darren and girls arrived back in Petawawa Saturday afternoon around 3:15. They were glad to be back at home and I guess Kayla was excited to see them. They had a wonderful week on the Island and only a little bit of rain one night.
We had Stevie's birthday supper on Saturday night, his dad and Cora were here as well. They were going to do it at their place, but it was pretty warm and we have the air conditioners and the boys could swim so they moved it to our house.
Hayden played a double header at the ball field in St. Croix today so we all went down to watch. Carl, Kenzie and I only went down for the 2nd game. They lost both games by 1 run.
Andy is taking the boys and I out to McElmond's Pond to do some geocashing this week, It sounds like it will be fun.
Well Jan, think I will go and get myself ready for bed and then do some reading. I really think that it is time for me to get an I Pad... I am finding it difficult to read my Kobo even on large print. I read a little bit on Tricia's when she was home and the print is much larger and so much easier to read.
You guys have a great week, take care.
hey Miss Holly. Nice to read the blog again. I have been so busy. Trish ,Jason ,Em and Bradyn spent last week at Hidden Hilltop. They rented a trailer for the week. Weather was so nice for them. Bradyn wasn't really sure if he liked this camping thing but he also had an ear infection . He was just getting used to being there and it was time to go home..lol. Em is now officially a teenager. Let the fun begin. Looks like you are doing better . Funny how walking can settle things down in your head. The boys are getting so tall. Must be hard for them with all the touching going on. Things here are about the same.Beautiful weather. Little cloudy today but we need the rain so badly.Well honey ..you have a great evening/day. Just wanted to pop in and say hello....Love you guys xoxoxo
ReplyDelete