Monday, April 18, 2011

By Request Videos and The Search for Meat

Today the kids and I didn't get too far away from the apartment as Ryan was still on the mend.  We did puzzles, played games, watched tv and waited for water.  When we want water for our cooler we have to text some mystery person with the number of jugs we want and within two hours they are supposed to be delivered.  I sent the text on Thursday night and still hadn't received anything this morning so we called our housing agent to investigate and she told us to send the text again.  Sure enough, an hour later a water fairy showed up at our door with two jugs of clean, spring (supposedly) water.  It costs us 10 RMB per jug or approximately $1.50.  One thing I knew before we left for China was that we wouldn't be drinking, cooking or brushing our teeth with water from the tap - another thing those of you living in Canada can be thankful for (and you thought the only great thing about Canada was the toilets).

We did get outside to play for a bit but it was quite windy and cold, compared to what it has been since we got here.  Spring is definitely in the air though.  Trees are being planted here on a scale that I have never seen.  When you drive along the highway you see big trucks carrying hundreds of trees that are being planted throughout the city.  I'm not sure if or why these are planted every year, but I do know it's going to be gorgeous when they blossom.  Speaking of blossoms, I saw a tree with cherry blossoms the other day but wasn't able to get a picture.  Tim says that on the way to Michelin there are tons of them so maybe I will ask him to get a picture.  Luckily, that won't be tomorrow since he has an unexpected day off due to maintenance at the plant.  Back in Canada this would surely have meant that he would be working, but not here.  Gotta love China!  So, in honor of this little surprise,, we are going in search of meat. 

As you may have read in a previous post we are having a difficult time finding any meat that resembles what we are used to at home.  A lot of it is seasoned or marinated and I can't eat that because it causes me terrible headaches.  Tonight on his way home Tim stopped at Metro to get me some soy milk and while there he bought a salmon steak, not a large one, and it cost about $18CAN.  Way too much!  He asked around work and was told about a butcher's shop near one of the other complexes so we will searched it out in hopes of a familiar meal.  I would like to make a stew but I can't find the turnip, parsnips or meat, only the potato and carrots.  I brought summer savory with me so if I can find the missing pieces, I will have a meal that the kids will should eat.  I really don't want to feed them anymore meals out of a can - one was enough.

I have had a request for more videos so I have uploaded three to Youtube and will show them below.  The first two videos feature the street in front of the Crowne Plaza and our driver making his way in to pick us up.  The third is of the kids playing on the exercise equipment at one of the grown up playgrounds here at the complex.  I hope someone finds these interesting!














2 comments:

  1. SO.FRIGGEN.CUTE!! How can you stand them, anyway? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The videos are really neat but I would have liked to have seen more of the kiddies playing. The video of them on the trampoline here at home we did just before you left is really cute. I love to hear Ryan talk. They are looking very well now. Must be recovered from the flu. Hope you find your meat you are looking for. This will be another China adventure! Will be waiting for your next blog. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete