Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Bad Wife Has A Pajama Day

It's now 3:15 in the afternoon and I'm still lounging around in my pajamas, as are the kids.  No one has even mentioned getting dressed let alone going outside since it is cloudy and threatening rain.  I managed to get some laundry done and the office (dump site) cleaned up a little, but the dishes are still sitting in the sink and there is a lot of other stuff that could be done.  You probably think this is the reason for my title "The Bad Wife Has A Pajama Day" but it isn't.

I was sitting on the bed earlier, replying to emails and browsing around while the kids watched Kung Fu Panda on the television in our bedroom.  I had decided to buy the movie on iTunes (for $15) since they watched a trailer and thought it looked funny.  Bad move.  It was too old for them and will probably give them nightmares for the next year.  Anyway, while they were being frightened and learning karate moves to use on each other, I decided to check out Facebook.  I was nosing around when I happened to notice that under the "Birthdays" heading, it told me that today was Nadine R's birthday.  "Well, that can't possibly be," I thought to myself.  "Nadine's birthday is the same day as our anniversary...".  Ah crap!  I checked the little calendar in the bottom right corner of my screen and sure enough, today is May 5th.  On 5/5/05 Tim and I were married on a cruise ship off the coast of Jamaica.  (You may think we planned that for superstitious reasons but we didn't.  It just worked out that way.)  So, yes, today is our anniversary and I completely forgot about it, causing me to assign myself the title of "Bad Wife".  Now, we don't usually put a lot of emphasis on occassions like this so my only hope is that Tim will be a bad husband and also forget all about it.  Normally we would go out for supper but since he won't be home until almost 6:00 and we'd have to take the kids who have been up since 6:30am and haven't had a nap, that's not too likely.  If he hasn't remembered (keep your fingers crossed for that!) perhaps I will walk up to the Carrefour once he gets home and grab some take-out for us.  I need to get a few groceries anyway, I just hope it doesn't start raining like it did last time.

So this part of the blog I am writing before Tim has gotten home from work.  I will complete it later on when everything plays out.  And these are the days of our lives...

In the meantime, here is how the kids have been amusing themselves on our jammy day:

They brought the chairs in and set themselves up.


Can you get any closer to the tv?





When Ryan got hurt (the first time) Nick carried him over to me.

And the second time.



Ryan loves to hide in the curtains!


They camped out in our closet.  Nicholas wanted to read to Ryan but doesn't know how yet so I told him to make something up.  That's what a good mother would do, right?

Pretending (I hope) to eat their playdoh burgers.

Ryan thought this was hilarious.


I hope the landlady doesn't see this!




8:15pm Update

So, did he remember?  You are just dying to know.  When he came in from work he saw that I had made burgers for the kids but none for us.  I told him that I thought I would walk up to the Carrefour and get us something special to eat for our special day.  Did I get a 'deer in the headlights' look?  No, I didn't.  He had remembered on his way out the door for work but then forgot again for the day.  So really both of us had trouble remembering but neither of us really cared.  I guess that's why we are still together after six years of marriage (almost 14 years together).  I guess in the next year at least one of us should start getting itchy.

Despite the fact that I had to get dressed to do it, I did walk down to the Carrefour and ordered some takeout then shopped while I waited.  I don't know what the restaurant was called and don't really care since I won't be going back.  Tim, on the other hand, was pleased with what we had which was noodles, rice with mystery meat that I think was beef but was almost all fat so it was hard to tell, and dumpings.  They were kind of tasty but not what I should be eating so I'm paying for it now.  I could have made something much better if only I had the ingredients.  Oh well, we'll make up for it another time.

The rain that had held off all day started, ironically, as soon as I left the Carrefour but luckily it didn't pour as hard as last time.  In the last two minutes it has started thundering and lightening.  Maybe we will get a good show tonight.

To end the evening on a happy note, our shipment arrived in Shenyang yesterday so within the next week or two we should have all of our stuff.  The kids will be happy to have their toys, Tim to have sheets that stay on the bed, and I will be happy that everyone can stop bitching about what they don't have.  I love my family!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary Jan and Tim! Even an anniversary can be an adventure in China! Seems like everyone enjoyed jammy day. Glad to hear your 'stuff' arrived. It will be like Christmas sorting through all your goodies. Good thing you had a jammy day you're going to need your energy! We have a very rainy, dark day here and supposed to get very heavy rain this evening. Hope you have a great day and the weather clears up for you. The photos are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Jan, glad to hear your stuff made it to you. The boys will be so excited to see all their toys. Hope the weather becomes sunny, we always seem to work better when the sun shines and you will have lots to unpack. The boys sure look like they are having fun riding around on their chairs. They will soon have their bouncy house and that should take care of some of their energy.
    You guys have a good day, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary, Jan & Tim (a day late)

    ReplyDelete