It was another beautiful day in Shenyang (sorry to those in soggy Nova Scotia) and we took advantage of it. I had a very restful sleep (except for that damn dog at 4am) and despite this the kids had to drag me out of bed at 7:30. After some Skyping we headed out and were going to go to the playground with the swings but when I saw the gate going into the area of Eastern Venice with the houses, I decided it would be a good day to go back and see our new friend, Francis. I have thought about visiting her several times last week but never got a chance. When we got to her house she was outside in her yard and remembered my name (a good sign). She invited us in to see her little pond, goldfish and waterfall which Ryan was really excited about. While we were chatting one of the guards from the compound came up to the fence and said something to her. She responded and I recognized the word "Jianada" or Canada. Apparently the peasants from the apartment complexes aren't supposed to wander into the Holy Land of Houses but she told him that we were from Canada and it was okay. We wandered around her yard and found that she had a garden and chickens and ducks around the back. I asked her about eggs and she said that she got them everyday from both the ducks and the chickens. Nick was quite surprised that a duck would lay an egg so she went into the house and brought one out to show him. Ryan stuck his hand out, I thought to just touch the egg, but instead he grabbed it from her and threw it on the ground. I felt so bad! She was so kind and said not too worry about it, he was just a little boy. Then Nick asked me if that was poop on the ground and I said, yes it was. Francis then piped up with, "Shit. It's shit. S-h-i-t. Shit, right?". I responded, trying not to laugh, that yes, it was indeed shit.
At one point while we were outside Francis had to answer her phone and she stopped talking for a minute and told us to "take ourselves home" and I wasn't sure if we should leave or what. Then I clued in that she meant we could make ourselves at home. I think.
After the egg incident, surprisingly enough, she invited us in to see her house. We went into her kitchen and her cook asked for the duck egg back. Oops! I hope we didn't ruin something special. Anyway, while I was looking around the dining area Ryan and Nick made their way into the foyer and found a turtle wandering about. It turns out she has two of them as pets and they just roam around during the day then go into a big bowl at night. One of them was missing so we did a little search and Francis finally found it in the bathroom. Nick said maybe the turtle was playing hide-and-seek with her and she didn't understand so I had to explain hide-and-seek. From here we went down a marble, circular staircase to the basement where they had a pool table, ping pong table, mah jong room, theatre room, kids tv room (with a ceiling so low I almost hit my head) and a gym area. It was pretty cool.
Back upstairs in the living room there was an aquarium, grand piano and bar area that created a lot of excitement. Nick wanted to go upstairs and explore (so did I but I didn't want to ask) but Francis said sure, in China nobody cares if you look around their whole house. Good to know! Up another sprial staircase to the second floor which is used by her son and his wife when they are there. We were into their bedroom, closet, bathroom and office where there was a very large globe (or big ball, as the kids call it) on which we showed Francis where we come from.
From here we went to the third floor and saw her bedroom, closet and bathroom where the maid was cleaning. It was a beautiful home but more than I would want. Unless of course I had someone to clean it and cook for me!
We went back down to the living room and chatted while the kids had strawberry yogurt drinks. Actually, Nick did most of the chatting, telling her about his toys that would be coming this week and all the construction equiment that he likes. She listened with interested but said that she couldn't understand most of the things he was talking about. He didn't care.
We decided it was time to go since Ryan wouldn't shut up about the playground with the swings. Nick and I could have stayed there all day. On the way out she gave the kids ice cream bars, let them feed the goldfish outside and gave me some green onions from her garden. We exchanged numbers and she said we were welcome anytime. I said that perhaps she could come over to our place for a visit sometime but after Nick kept telling her how small our apartment is, she probably thinks that it's too tiny to fit that many people.
Finally we made it to the playground with the swings and had a good time there with some of the little kids that aren't in school. Because they start kindergarten here at about three years of age, most of the kids that are around during the day are younger. It seems more like a daycare since it's an all day thing and in most cases both parents work.
We headed inside for some lunch and Ryan ended up falling asleep on the couch so I did some internet searching for places in Thailand. I found a nice villa right on the beach and I think we will book it for our winter trip next March.
Once the kid was awake we headed out again, back to the playground with the swings. By this time the kindergarten inside Eastern Venice was letting out so the place was really busy. Nicholas started running around with some boys that were doing these kung fu moves and I thought they were going to start fighting with each other but they didn't. He's really doing well trying to play with the other kids and making out okay, considering the language barrier. Another hour and a half outside then we went back in to make some supper. After Tim got home and we ate, it was back outside for more playing. We went to a different playground this time and the kids had more fun tiring themselves out. Hopefully they will have a good sleep tonight because tomorrow we are going into the city to get together with Chloe. It should be a fun day!
Well, that's it for now. I can't think straight at this hour so I will go and get myself ready for bed. Goodnight everyone!
Jan, your neighbour sounds like a very nice lady and with a wonderful home and such a variety of pets. I can't imagine turtles loose. We kept Tricia's for a few weeks and it really didn't smell very good even though we cleaned it everyday. Whenever it pooped you knew it. Dev wanted to keep it but I just couldn't stand the smell. Mom and I are going to Windsor today to visit with Aunt Helen. Another rainy day! Glad you have sunshine. Have fun in the city!
ReplyDeleteJan. what do you suppose they do the duck eggs? The boys would be delighted with all the pets. The house sounds marvelous. Does she have family? The boys are getting lots of outdoor time and burning off a lot of energy. Glad you have sunshine, I think we are going to be blessed later this week. Talking to Tricia today and they have had some rain as well, Paige called me at 8:30 there time. She was getting ready for school, Kaitlyn is sick so she stayed home today.
ReplyDeleteHave a good evening and great day on Tuesday.