Mr You hung up the phone and because I thought it would take Chloe a while to get to the agency, I showed him my Chinese Construction Bank card to tell him I wanted to stop at an atm and a package that I wanted to mail. I also looked up 'post office' just to make sure of where we were going. He said okay and we got onto the highway. Very soon we drove past the exit for Riverside Garden, then past the next exit and I started to wonder if perhaps the information about the housekeeping agency that I had gotten off the expat website had been wrong. We weren't going anywhere near where it said we should be. I figured he couldn't be going this far just to find a bank machine and post office since they are on almost every second corner.
After driving for about twenty minutes Mr. You pulled into a Bank of China. "Bu you", I said and showed him the bank card from Chinese Construction bank again, that was the one that I needed. We backed off the sidewalk into traffic and headed out again only to stop at a post office. I couldn't mail the package without getting money first but he motioned that I could use the Chinese bank card at that ATM. In the meantime, Chloe called me and said she was already at the agency and could she talk to Mr You to tell him exactly where the place was. After he hung up he sat there waiting for me to go into the post office. I tried to tell him to forget about it and to just go to the agency since Chloe was there waiting. Finally he agreed and pulled a u-turn to head off in the other direction. We drove for a bit until he spotted the bank I needed and pulled in so I went and got some money. From here we drove for a while longer around an area that was no where near Riverside, then he made the universal phone gesture (thumb in ear, pinky to lips) and I could tell he didn't know where to go. I called Chloe and she explained it again. We turned a few more corners and he was really looking hard at the buildings so I thought that it must be somewhere near here. Then I spied a street sign (almost all of which are written in Chinese and English letters) and I knew we still weren't on the right one. Again I got the gesture, so I got her on the phone once more. He chattered to her then hung up and turned a few more corners onto a busy street where we ended up sitting for another ten or so minutes in traffic just waiting to make it through a light. At this point I wanted to scream but I kept my cool. 'At least' I thought, 'it's not just me. If he can't figure out how to get there with an address and someone giving him instructions in Chinese, then I can't be the one causing all the problems.'
We finally got through the traffic light only to have him pull off the road and onto the sidewalk right beside this huge sphere that looks similar to the one at Epcot in Disney. I remember seeing this place on our city tour six weeks ago and several times since then and Chloe had told me then that it is the science museum and cinema. It is a major landmark in the city. He stopped and did the gesture again so out came my phone and another call to Chloe. After talking to her he continued to the next set of traffic lights where we turned right. By this point I knew that the major street we had just been on, the one with large sphere, was the street that the agency was on. I was ready to tell him when he pulled a u-turn and went back to the lights. From here he turned left then started searching the buildings on our right. He pulled into one then mumbled something and, again, had to back out into traffic. We continued a little further then finally I saw Chloe standing on the sidewalk and we pulled in. I apologized profusely since it had taken us an hour to get to a place less than fifteen minutes from our apartment.
We walked into the housekeeping agency, a small office about the size of a large closet. In it there we two desks, one behind the other and a row of chairs along one wall. At the desk closest to the door sat the woman who ran the place and the chairs along the wall were all occupied by women, about eight of them, looking very eager. As soon as Nicholas looked in the door and heard the coos he refused to go in. I said he could stand outside the glass door since I could see him and so could the sixteen eager eyes. Ryan came in and sat with me but quickly decided he would be safer outside with Nick. By that time Mr You had shown up and stood with them. I asked Chloe if the women along the wall were all housekeepers waiting for work and she said that they were. She began translating between me and the head lady and I told her that I wanted someone for half days, two or three times per week to clean. The head lady then spoke and said that for three mornings or afternoons a week, not including any laundry, it would cost 700rmb per week. Whoa! That's a lot more than what I had been told others paid for their ayi. Chloe said that we could probably bargain with them but I said that maybe we should just go somewhere else. I had been told you could get someone five half days per week for 1000rmb per month. She relayed this to the woman who responded then everyone, except me, started laughing. Huh? Chloe then told me that she had misspoke, it was 700rmb per month, not week. Ah! That's better.
I told Chloe I was looking for someone who is flexible and easy to get along with, that I am not uptight or strict about rules. She said they could already tell that about me. The women along the wall were all listening intently and I hate to say it, but I began to feel like I was at the pound looking at all the animals with the "please take me home" looks on their faces. I also asked Chloe to tell the lady that I wanted someone who was keen to learn English and help me to learn Chinese. After a few more questions and explanations I leaned over to Chloe and said, "Do I have to pick someone out myself, right now?" I didn't know how I was going to do that without offending anyone but it was quickly made easier for me. I asked her if they knew where I live and she said they did and that this one - pointing to a pleasant looking woman - lived very close. She was one of the more presentable looking ladies and had a nice smile so I shook her hand and knew she was going to be our ayi. I asked her name by myself, in Chinese and was told we can call her Zhang Ayi or just Ayi. She said something to Chloe which she didn't translate to me so I asked her what it was that Zhang Ayi had asked. She told me it was a secret, that the woman wanted to know how old I was but Chloe didn't want to ask. It turns out when she first moved to Ireland she had asked this of an elderly woman and was told it wasn't polite to inquire about someone's age. I said that I didn't care and managed to tell everyone, again in Chinese, that I am thirty-three.
We had to work out the details and sign the contract and, of course, they needed my address. Luckily I had brought that package to put in the mail and it had my address on it because I still don't know it or my cell phone number. Or our home number, Tim's cell, etc. I really should learn those. Anyway, we decided that we should take our new ayi to our apartment right away so that she would be able to find it easily and to have a look around at what she would be doing. It was a great idea since Chloe was there to translate for us and we worked out some kinks right away. I don't think she was overly impressed with my cleaning paraphernalia as it is pretty limited. I showed her the mop that we haven't been able to use because we couldn't figure out how to put it together. Michelin had purchased it for us and it turns out there was just a piece missing, as I had
When everything had been worked out Zhang left and we got ready to go for lunch. We piled into the van once again and Chloe told Mr You that we wanted to go to Pizza Hut and decided on the one at the Wenhua Carrefour mall. She also told him that we would mail my VIP (very important package) on the way. When we found a post office Chloe and I went in and stood in line only to find out that at this particular branch they only ship parcels over 5kg. Interesting. Off we went to another one that ended up feeling more like going through customs than shipping a little package. I had two gifts to send and had placed them together in a box which I then wrapped very nicely with a paper shopping bag. After several attempts I had managed to correctly print off the the addresses and taped them on so they were neat and easy to read. Because of this I thought it would be a quick in and out procedure. I am so glad I waited until Chloe was with me or it would have taken all day to figure this out. First we went to one very serious lady who sent us down to the other end of the room to another even more serious lady. She said something to Chloe who asked me what was in the box. As I was telling her the woman interupted and said that she wanted to see what was in it. Seriously? Oh yes, I had to unwrap the box and give her the smaller boxes which she had to open and inspect. She then asked Chloe for some tissues and wrapped the semi-breakable items, put them back in the box and said she wanted to put everything into a new, smaller box. I said sure so she rewrapped everything and taped up the new box then took my nice labels and cut them so they would fit on it. It looked good although I ended up having to leave out a pretty bag that one gift was in. When she finally finished this pain stakingly slow process she charged me 3rmb then send us back to the first serious lady. This one weighed the package and gave us the prices, all without ever cracking the slightest smile, then asked what was in it. I was just waiting for her to ask us to unwrap it so she could see but she didn't, thank goodness. We finally paid and were out of there. I was starving by this point.
We got back in the van and drove off to Pizza Hut, or so we thought. Chloe and I were chatting and the next thing I knew, we had pulled up to the Carrefour beside our place. I told her there was no Pizza Hut at this one and we had to get the map out to show Mr You the same Wenhua Carrefour we have been to on two other occassions. When we arrived there he couldn't find Pizza Hut, despite the big sign on the front. Chloe showed it to him and then told me that he didn't seem to know the word 'pizza' even in Chinese. "How is that possible?" was all she could say. When we were ready to get out of the van she asked if we were inviting Mr. You in with us. I told her we tried that last week and it didn't work very well but then she said that he didn't have any lunch with him. I said that he could join us but that I was paying. She told him this but he replied that he didn't like western food. Fine. I dug 20rmb out of my purse and gave it to him so he could get something he liked and we left.
After a meal of tasty pizza for Chloe and Nicholas and not-so-great rice with beef for Ryan and I, we left the restaurant to go to Happy City, as per the kids' request. When we got outside Mr You was there waiting for us. It turned out that he still hadn't had lunch because the battery on his cellphone was dead and he didn't want to go eat in case we tried to call. Why he didn't just come into the restaurant and tell us this is beyond me. We went back to the Carrefour mall by Eastern Venice and Chloe and I chatted while the kids played and, I think, Mr. You finally had his lunch. At 3:30 Chloe had to go so she had Mr. You drop her off somewhere on his way back to Michelin to pick Tim up. I sat for a bit longer but after several crying spells by a very tired Ryan I had had enough. The kids and I walked back to our apartment and I must say it's the slowest they have moved since we got to China. It didn't really surprise me since we had been up since 6am and everyone was done in. When we got back Ryan climbed up on my knee and I had to keep moving him around to keep him awake. No naps today!
As you all know we were expecting to get our shipment tomorrow but as of yet we haven't heard anything. I don't know how much, if any, notice they give but I hope for Nick's sake it comes soon. It was all he could talk about today. I guess we will just wait and see.
Goodbye all!
Jan, what a struggle and I thought our post office was bad. You will probably think twice before mailing another parcel.
ReplyDeleteIt seems to me that not only is there an English/Chinese barrier but also a Chinese/Chinese barrier when your driver doesn't even know Chinese words. I would find this terribly frustrating but your boys are learning the patience of their mother which you are very blessed with. I hope your shipment comes soon and now that you have a cleaning lady that will free up some of your time you will need to unpack and organize. Maybe you should hire a cook next. That's what I would like to have! Bye for now.
My goodness Jan, what a trip! You could have delivered the packages when you came home, a lot less trouble. But now that you know what they want it should make it a little easier. You sure do have a lot of patience. I would be totally exhausted and probably at the end of my rope. Glad to hear you are getting your housekeeper. At least you won't have to think about doing housework and will be able to reserve all your energy for shopping with Mr You. Something tells me he doesn't know the city very well. Hope your shipment arrives today, I know Nick is very anxious to get his own toys and things. You guys have a great day, and lots of fun unpacking (if it arrives)
ReplyDeleteTake Care