Friday night when we were heading to supper Anna mentioned, just in passing, about Mother's Day coming up and yesterday when I was Skyping with my Mom she said she was being taken to Fox Harbour for Mother's Day Brunch. "Oops!" I thought and told Tim that this Sunday was Mother's Day and we had forgotten about it. Then last night when I talked to Mom and asked her about it, she said that no, it wasn't for two more weeks. Now, when I Skype I often put on my headset with microphone because I get better sound and last night when Mom told me that Mother's Day wasn't for two more weeks I never even thought that Tim, who was sitting in the room with me, wouldn't have heard her.
This morning Ryan woke up and wanted me to get up with him. I told him to ask Daddy and I fell back to sleep. Around nine I woke up and came out and Nick told me to go back to bed and when I protested Tim told me they were making me breakfast in bed for Mother's Day. Oops again! I told him that it wasn't actually Mother's Day (why I told him this I'm still not sure) but Nick really wanted me to eat what he had made me in my bed and nowhere else. So I went back to bed and ate my oatmeal, banana, apple slices and soy milk with Nick sitting beside me, grinning from ear to ear. He told me every step of the oatmeal making process that he had completed and was so proud. It was so very sweet!
After I ate I stayed in bed for a bit and Nicholas insisted that I go back to sleep so that I would be well rested for writing my blog this evening. He shut the curtains, turned off the light, made sure that I was tucked in then went to help Tim with the laundry so I wouldn't have to do it. How cute is that? I did end up sleeping for a while and it was nice to have some extra rest.
When I did get up it was almost lunch time so Tim made something to eat for the kids then while he had his shower, Ryan and I did puzzles in Nick's window. Nick started playing hide-and-seek and they ended up having quite a game of it once Tim joined them. It's hard to imagine that there would be a lot of places to hide in our little apartment, but Tim managed to find quite a few.
In the afternoon we all walked up to the Carrefour, joined by Dave, to buy Nicholas a bicycle. I tried to convince Nick to get a plain bike that was lighter but he couldn't resist the Captain America one with a basket, bell, fenders and even a little storage compartment on the back. The whole thing was a little hectic but we ended up getting two bikes (one for Ryan, too), a rice cooker and some groceries. When you buy an appliance here they like to take it out of the box and show you that it works. Great service so I had to get a picture.
After some minor alterations to the bikes, like pumping up the tires outside the Carrefour, they were ready to go. So far they've only driven them back from the grocery store but tomorrow, since it's a long weekend, we will take the kids out to the park so they can enjoy their new bikes.
We tried out our new rice cooker this evening and it was wonderful! I bought the cheap bulk rice and we really enjoyed it. We had our very expensive steaks with it and decided that they are good enough that we will continue to buy them occassionally. Nick even ate his with chopsticks and wants to get a stainless steel set like he used at Sam's. I think he is going to like it here!
Happy Faux Mothers Day to all the mothers out there - from my boys.
And these guys:
Jan you are blessed with a very thoughtful little family. Also you are doing some wonderful bonding. And the boys are learning so much being with you and Tim all of the time. You all are so fortunate to have this terrific experience. Again the photos are priceless and so glad the boys got their bikes! Your breakfast in bed could be a practice run now maybe you will get it on the real Mother's Day also! You deserve it. We had a really fun night last night. We went to the Firemen's 80's dance which is one of the celebrations for their 50th Anniversary. It was a blast!
ReplyDeleteJan, what a lovely Mother's Day gift, that Nick is becoming quite the chef. It is nice that you guys have the time to do things with the boys, they are becoming so knowledgeable. Tell Nick and Ryan I love their bikes. Maybe you and Tim will have to get bikes as well. I presume they can ride on the sidewalks over there as I know the cars have been known to take a little trip on them. Tracy & Stevie are getting a new van (new to them) on Monday. We are taking our last excursion in the old one today, headed to Lowlands Garden Centre in Londonderry. Enjoy your holiday on Monday, Take care
ReplyDeleteTeach them while they're young! Hahaha love the pics; miss you guys; Happy Mother's Day (May 8th) a little early!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great way to get double Mother's Day!! I'm going to try that trick next year. Loved the blog!! Still laughing....
ReplyDeleteAww ... who could resist breakfast in bed ... with Spider Man, to boot!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Faux Mom's Day, Jan!