Today, May 2nd, 2011, our little boy experienced one of the big milestones in life. He learned how to ride a bike. I wasn't sure when we took the training wheels off yesterday that he would be up for it today. We went outside our apartment building and I started holding on to the bike for him. He said he didn't want me to, that he wanted the training wheels back on but then just started trying to do it on his own.
It was only a few minutes later that he was able to keep it going a little longer, then a bit longer still.
We ventured out to the park and found a bouncy house - it was too much for Ryan to resist. He jumped off his bike and ran to the castle. Nick soon joined him.
Once they decided they were done with that we headed back to the apartment for lunch. After we ate I walked down to the Carrefour for some groceries and found some really good meat. Unfortunately our nice day turned rainy while I was in the store and I got soaked on the walk back. I grabbed a shower then the sun came back out (of course) so we headed back outside for more bike riding. There is a large circular area just outside our buiding that is all brick so it is great for practicing - except for the fountain in the middle that Nick managed to run into three times. Despite a few spills by both boys they did really well and Nick has really got the hang of it now. We are so proud of him!
He came over to me while he was riding and said he had just seen a coyote.
We brought bike helmets with us because we weren't sure if we would be able to find any here. There were a couple at Carrefour but as you can see from this picture, the Chinese aren't too worried about bicycle/motorcycle safety.
Have a great day!
Way to go Nick! You too Ryan. What a great spot to ride your bikes. It probably won't be long before Ryan wants his training wheels off. Sounds like you have had a wonderful day. Nice to have a bouncy house to play in, I know they love that. Sheryl and I went swimming this morning, hoping to get to town sometime today. I am headed out to the golf course with Hayden after school, he's golfing I am walking! Have A good evening.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to believe you are old enough to ride a bike Nick and you caught on so quickly. You are really a big boy now. Ryan you are doing very well too. I love your new bikes. It's such an exciting time when they achieve another step in growing up both for them and for Mom and Dad. I feel your excitement! The videos are great! Glad to hear you learned how to break instead of running into the wall Nick! But you are amazing you just dust yourself off and hop right back on again. Thanks for sharing again.
ReplyDeleteHey Nicholas, I hope you are having fun. I want you to come back sometime. Did you hurt yourself when you fell off your bike?
ReplyDeleteBye, Patrick
AWESOME!!
ReplyDeleteHi Patrick, it's Nicholas. We are having fun in China. We can't drink water from the taps but there are lots of skyscrapers and apartments. I didn't hurt myself when I fell off my bike. Our toys should be getting here soon.
ReplyDeleteWhat have you been doing, Patrick?
Bye