Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Memories Of Days Gone By

At least I thought they were gone.  When I lived in London after university I worked for a property management company and it was standard practice there, as it is here, to pay on a monthly basis.  This can be a bit tricky for the person in the household who looks after the budget when you are used to being paid twice a month or every two weeks.  For our first few months here we did okay but still had to either spend almost no money for the last week or dip into our Canadian reserves.  We absolutely hate doing this because once we take money out of that account, we can't just put it back in and part of the purpose of this adventure was to save money for a house.  This month we did better.  We still had a tiny bit of money left on Monday when payday rolled around again, finally.

The problem in England was that the company I worked for was, how do I put this kindly?, crooked as a dog's hind leg.  The owner of the company had been in the Guinness Book of Records for the highest bankruptcy ever, although long before I got there.  Very often though, payday would roll around and I would have to ask the finance 'guy' for my check to which he would reply, "Maybe tomorrow".  Several times I got that response everyday for a full week after I was supposed to get paid and sometimes the 'guy' would have to go scrounging for cash to hold me over until there was enough money in the account for me to cash my check.

Fast forward to this past Monday when I went to the bank machine to get out some funds.  Alas, there was nothing there.  It was mildly irritating but I figured it would be there shortly so I came back home and checked the account online throughout the day.  No money.  Tuesday morning I woke up and looked again, still nothing.  I was now slightly more perturbed since I enjoy eating, as do my kids, and I really, really didn't want to touch our Canadian account.  Probably no one reading is feeling overly sympathetic and I do realize that we are lucky to be able to buy the food and other things that we enjoy when so many people in the world cannot.   So I should stop whining.  However, when you set a goal for yourself, such as making it to payday without touching your savings that you have made a really big move to try and accumulate, it's a real pisser when you think you have achieved it and something small, like not getting paid when you are supposed to, messes it up. It really screws with your mood.  Now, in all fairness to Michelin, we have been told by some people that payday is actually plus or minus a few days on either side of the 25th.  I guess I have just gotten used to good ol' Canada where payday is payday and your money is there when you get up in the morning.  I have been spoiled.

The worst thing about all this, and I'm just sick over it, is that I had to cancel my massage this morning.  I'm getting a little bitchy about the whole thing.  Right now I'm just thankful that Lena is as small as she is and I will be able to stuff her in a suitcase and bring her with me to Canada when I go back.  Ha ha!  Just kidding (I say with my fingers crossed behind my back).   Perhaps I can legally adopt her so Michelin will give her a plane ticket!

So, what have I learned from the last three days?  You guessed it - Tim needs to ask for a raise.  I suppose the more practical solution would be that I put all my budgeting skills to work and make sure that next month I save enough for a few extra days.  No more spending!  Yeah right, like that's going to happen.


Okay, I published this post then, just for shits and giggles, checked our account again.  Hallelujah!  We've been given life again!  I must go shopping!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Darling Daughter, Who is more like your mother than your father!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Sucks to be You Start your self on self employment and get a real dose of anxt. I can go back to when you were born and holding my breath wondering if work was coming in let alone a pay cheque from customers. Need I expand on knowing where you are coming from. except that there was no savings account, 3 kids to feed, mtg payment, vehicle, gas, oil,lights, Sears, and so on and so on and so on. Oh yeah, our chaffeurmust have quit right after wee hired her because we never did see one. My massage therapist was the wires hanging down behind my head and rubbing on my back while they waited for me to tie them into the panels, and the cleaning pople were the "three little pigs" we left at home as we rode off to work in ourlittle orange wagon. But like your mother, you doooo know how to celebrate those pay days when they do come through. Have a great day in China child of mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you finally got paid. Now go out and get that new outfit for yourself and some groceries too! You will have to tuck some money away for your messages so you don't have to cancel again. I don't blame you for not wanting to tap into your Canadian account, it is too hard to get the money back in once it has been taken out.
    I had a relaxing day Tuesday, didn't do much. Hayden and Emma were here swimming, I helped Gramp make his hash for lunch, Carl took him to his eye appointment at 12:00. Virginia was here for a visit, she doesn't come up very often so it was nice to see her. Went down to visit Aunt Viv and took the blog book down for her, she loves reading about your life in China, said it was like a good book. I have three binders on the go, the large one that I put everything in once everyone has read it, one I take to Viv to read and the other one is for the new blogs that come while she has the 2nd binder. I think I am soon going to have to buy another binder, the large one is just about full.
    We had heavy rain overnight, I didn't hear it but my rain gauge had 2 inches of water in it this morning and the pool is filled to the top of the skimmer.
    Hayden spent the night, he wanted to sleep in this morning, Tracy has to get him up at 7:00 at home, Kenzie's camp starts at 8:00 so they have to be on the move by 7:45.
    It is overcast this morning, it is supposed to clear off this afternoon, so i think this will be a good reading day. I am so lazy these days, but I am enjoying the sun and heat.
    Jerry just showed up for his treats and I must go and get my breakfast.
    Have a good evening and enjoy your shopping excursion.
    Hi to Tim and boys, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, I certainly know what it is like to wait for pay cheques. When Ellery sold real estate it was often quite a while between paydays and when they did come there was always somewhere for the money to go. I guess most of us can relate. But again as you say some folks have it way worse that we did so I am very thankful for what I have. But for you being in a different county it is a challenge. I woke up yesterday at 4am couldn't sleep so I got up and worked on my soccer and ball photos I had just taken so I had a very long day yesterday but had a good sleep last night. I helped Mom move more goodies over to her new apartment. Then I burned all of her old bills in my fireplace last night. I was chilly and decided to get rid of them and the fire warmed me up. We went to bed about 10:30 and I got up this morning about 8:45 so I got my rest. Ellery and Stefan worked on Linda's trailer yesterday and helped me dig out all the hostas. Now I have quite a few new ones to plant. Well it is rainy today and damp so I guess I will work more on my photos. I now know where you get your talent for writing, cause your Dad has the same talent. I am enjoying reading his blog answer :0) He has the same sarcasm as you do!! Really funny. I like reading the blog after him. Well have a nice day spending your paycheque and get that extra massage fitted in somewhere! Bye for now!

    ReplyDelete