Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Another Day, Another Trip

Today was filled with crankiness all around.  Nick was up late again last night despite being quite tired and we woke up early this morning.  I was up late after the rough day and didn't sleep especially well.  The morning started out well though with lots of Skyping going on.  Nick and Ryan's cousins, Brett and Julia, called and they got to chat after not seeing each other for a long time.  Then we spoke to Darlene and saw my grandfather for the first time since we left Canada.  He had a nice birthday and Nick was sorry he missed out on the cake and ice cream.  After that Nanny was online and read several books to the boys and played Cars with them.  Even after Rachel showed up for my Chinese lesson Nanny continued to keep Nick busy while Ryan watched the iPod.  I had a good lesson although I had trouble reading some of the words, I guess I was a little tired.

During the lesson I received an email stating that Nicholas could have his medical exam tomorrow morning at eight along with two other children.  So, yay.  I guess.  I'm not looking forward to it, of course, but this time it will be done at a children's hospital so maybe it will go a little more smoothly.  Nicholas doesn't know yet and I'm not going to tell him until we are in the van at 6:30 tomorrow morning.  Yuck!

Following my two hour lesson I tried to get the boys ready so we could go outside.  I asked Nick many, many times to get dressed and it just wasn't working.  Finally I gave up and got lunch ready instead.  I had to put Nicholas and Ryan in their rooms for 'quiet time' since they were driving me absolutely batty.  Ryan eventually went to sleep but Nick wouldn't even rest.  I researched flights and hotels for Beijing online.  After several emails back and forth with Michelin and the Canadian embassy in Beijing we decided that Ryan and I will make the trip this week.  This evening I booked another trip, the third in a week, for Thursday night.  We will stay for two nights and I am in the process of arranging a driver to pick us up and take us where we need to go for the two days.  I figure it will be a lot easier than trying to negotiate with cabbies who are notorious for ripping people off or taking the subway with an attention getting two-year-old.  Hopefully everything with the passport renewal will go smoothly.

Tomorrow will be a busy day.  After driving Tim to work I will take Nicholas for his physical.  After that we need to get Ryan's passport photos done, put money on my cellphone and get a few groceries.  Then in the afternoon we will go to Caroline's birthday party.  In the evening I will have to get all the documents ready for the passport application and get everything else ready to go.  I hope I don't forget anything!

I finally got to have a massage today and it was really nice.  I started to doze off while Lena was rubbing my feet and had a little dream that I was slipping on an escalator which made my foot and arm jerk.  I had been so still that when I did it scared poor Lena out of her trance and she jumped too.  Obviously I was pretty relaxed and I will miss my massage this Friday.  Woe is me, I have it rough, I know.

So, I think that's about it for now.  I must get to bed as it will be an early morning.  Although Nicholas went to bed at seven tonight it is now 9:30 and he is still awake.  I understand since I have the same problem and have all my life.  As a kid I would lay in bed for hours trying to get to sleep.  Now I can just get up or turn on the tv.  I think we will try an herbal remedy to help him to relax and stop thinking so much.  Goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. Jan you really wear me out just thinking about all of the things you have to get done. I am a busy person and love to be going and I don't sit still well but you really have alot on your plate at the moment. I hope everything goes will with Nick's appointment and Ryan's passport. I am having some trouble with sleeping lately and it isn't fun. Devin was always nocturnal and so is Stefan now. Stefan was great as a baby and little boy but then as he got older he finds it harder to go to bed. He was never a morning person even when he was little. He never liked to get up before 10am. That didn't work well with going to school. Dev never had much trouble getting up in the morning but now he works all hours of the day and night so he just catches a few naps when he can. Ellery's head hits the pillow and he is out like a light! We had a nice birthday visit with Gramp. The cake was delicious. I told your Mom I am excited for her trip to China and can hardly wait to hear her stories and her take on China. I will be watching to see how you make out with your mini passport trip and the blood tests. Good luck with it all and bye for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning guys, looks like you are going to have a couple of busy days. Glad to hear you got your Chinese lesson in and your massage as well. You will have to book your mom next time you have your lesson and she can play with the boys on Skype. It is a neat way to keep them occupied for a while.

    I am sure you and Ryan will do fine in Beijing. Good idea to arrange for transportation before hand, will make things much easier for you.

    I will be thinking of you and Nick, hopefully getting the blood test will be much better this time around. Tell Nick he is such a brave little boy.

    I called your mom and gave her the name of the sleeping aid Hayden and Kenzie take. It is all natural and seems to help. Sometimes I think the longer they lay in bed the harder it is for them to get to sleep, Nick has a very active mind and probably relives his daytime activities when he gets to bed. I know Hayden does.

    Your mom brought down some flowers from her garden for me, they are beautiful, the yellow roses are my favorites. I haven't been up for my Friday night visit for almost a month, will have to get back up before she leaves to visit you.

    Carl and Gramp have gone to the park for a walk I was going to go with them but changed my mind. I will get my clothes off the line and then I think I will read for a bit.

    I am going to Saint John on Sunday to visit Marjorie for a few days, Stevie and Donna are going up to the races in Geary and will drop me off on the way, they are staying at Marjorie's on Sunday night and will go home on Monday. Carl will come and get me probably Wednesday or Thursday.

    Good luck with the rest of your day, will be waiting to hear how you made out.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete