Disclaimer: this post contains a LOT of pictures, some being repeated ad nauseam (a Latin term used to describe an argument anything which has been continuing "to [the point of] nausea"). This has been done to pacify the 'photo hounds' that read my blog on a daily basis. I will not be held responsible for anyone who becomes ill or falls asleep at their desk and misses something important because they were perusing my blog.
As I had hoped, today was another beautiful one here in Shenyang. Nicholas was in a silly mood and didn't mind having his picture taken so it was a perfect opportunity to show you some of what I talk about on a regular basis.
For whatever reason, in the four months that we have been here I haven't once thought of making the kids french toast for breakfast. Today I did and they loved it! I asked if it was as good as Nanny's and Nicholas said, "Yes. You're a good cook, Mommy. Actually, you're a great cook!" Aw, how sweet. Nicholas ate almost all of his and Ryan finished his then ate the pieces Nicholas didn't. I guess it was pretty good.
For the second time in about a week there was a group of ladies outside our building doing a demonstration of some sort. Last time it was Tai Chi, this time it was dancing. Nicholas really wanted to get out and have a look at what was going on and couldn't get his shoes on fast enough.
The fans they used were pretty cool and made quite a loud noise when they whipped them open.
 |
| It wouldn't be China if some rude person in a car wasn't threatening to run over the performers. As soon as they were done she took off through the crowd. |
 |
| Although it really looks like Ryan is having a conversation with this man (and it would have been adorable if he had been), he wasn't. Trust me. He wouldn't. |
 |
| This guy was playing a harmonica into a microphone, really loudly... |
 |
| hence the hands over the ears. |
 |
| "Why is he playing that thing?" |
 |
| Off to Carrefour Mall and Happy City. Wagon's broke so the boys had to hoof it. |
 |
| Nick wanted me to take a picture of him walking backwards. |
 |
| This little girl spied the boys and tried to chase after them. I thought she was going to fall down the stairs she was in such a hurry. |
 |
| Her ayi was having trouble keeping up. |
 |
| One of the gates into Eastern Venice - the one we use the most. |
 |
| Map of Eastern Venice. We are in the big, light blue building right in the center of the complex. I finally stopped to count and there are 35 buildings here not including the eleven houses (orange on the map). |
 |
| Our ayi after leaving our place. Her ride reminds me of a Barbie bicycle. |
 |
| She was trying to convince Nicholas to sit on the back of her bike. Yeah, right! |
 |
| The street we walk down to get to Carrefour. |
 |
| Galaxy Bay - The newest complex on the street. Looks nice - for now. |
 |
| Our donkey friend. For those who felt bad for him, he was eating from a big box of green grass when we were on our way home. |
 |
| This view is looking down the street towards Eastern Venice. Our street is to the right and to the left is a ramp onto the highway. Notice these two 'roads' converge on each other and there are no lines marked or indication as to who has the right of way. It's big game of Chicken with Automobiles. |
 |
| Carrefour Mall |
 |
| The boys have a difficult time waiting for me when Happy City is calling to them. |
 |
| The 'girls' - they love to see the boys coming. That's Ryan in their clutches. |
 |
| Nick's turn. |
 |
| Some of the stores around Happy City. |
 |
| Travel Agency |
 |
| Dry cleaners and a store that sells kitchenware. They cook right there in the store and sometimes it smells good. |
 |
| These two were adorable. |
 |
| Being an orca... |
 |
| He runs a little hot. Good thing it's cooling off here. |
 |
| Yum! Raw hamburger sitting on the shelf at Happy City. |
Yet another reason not to eat out in China: Today when I took Ryan to pee at the Carrefour Mall (because I choose not to use the bucket they leave in the nearby hallway for kids to go in) I noticed a man, in a kitchen uniform and apron, washing dishes in the bathroom sink. Although they aren't too bad for China standards, these aren't exactly the cleanest bathrooms on the planet. I tried to see what restaurant he was from but I couldn't find any identifiers. Surely the restaurant must have running water...
 |
| Time to go get some sushi... |
To get to the sushi take-out we must go up this escalator...
 |
| then this one. |
 |
| Then we have to walk through the entire Carrefour store. |
 |
| Must stop to look at the toys... |
 |
| ...and buy a couple. I'm such a sucker! |
 |
| Down this escalator to the grocery department. |
 |
| Must stop to look at the fish. |
 |
| Oh, a dead one! Yummy! |
 |
| Kind of defeats the purpose of picking fresh fish, doesn't it? |
 |
| Didn't stop long enough to really see what body parts of which animal these were. |
 |
| "Are they going to make me eat that?" |
 |
| Through the checkouts |
 |
| A tea house. I have never seen anyone in it. |
 |
| Finally - sushi take out! |
 |
| We clean them out of lobster sushi every time. |
 |
| Down one more escalator. |
 |
| Now you have to walk around the entire mall to get to the exit. Pretty sneaky... |
 |
| Nick enjoying his lobster sushi! I had to push a woman away from him three times as she kept touching his head. |
 |
| Later in the after noon we went outside to play. That yellow streak is Nicholas... |
 |
| ...and the blue and red one is Ryan. |
 |
| New statues. It's about time, summer is just about over. |
 |
| The guy in the wheelchair tries to get me to shake his hand every time I walk by. I did the first time and he wouldn't let go so I've learned my lesson and now I just smile. |
 |
| The fireman's pole that the kid's discovered yesterday. |
 |
| Nicholas can do it on his own. |
 |
| Anna tried to help Ryan. No way, he wanted Mommy. |
 |
| She was there to catch him though so I could get a picture. |
 |
| He's got it now. |
 |
| Monkeys! |
 |
| Eventually he wanted to do it on his own, too. He made it! |
 |
| A tiny butterfly |
So that was our day in vivid detail. Anna came back for a visit then Tim came home and we had supper. They boys were in bed early after their busy day. Hopefully they will sleep well. Me too! This blog has taken all night and now it's too late to get to bed early. Oh well, we'll take it easy tomorrow...
What a very busy day Jan. I expect the boys would sleep after all that activity. Interesting view of your excursion and a good way to show us what shopping in China is like. The pictures tell 10,000 words for sure. Keep up the good work blogging. I know we here look forward to what adventures you may find around the next corner.
ReplyDeletewow..Very busy day for all of you.Love the pictures.The boys seem to be fitting in very well .How is Mommy and daddy doing.You seem to be taking things in stride. Keep it coming .Love reading the blog. Love you .Aunt Donna
ReplyDeleteI love the photos! It's nice to be able to picture the places you are describing in your posts! I love that you keep at the blogging everyday, I am a little behind on my posts. What brand was the wagon? Let me know if your mom can't bring one, maybe we can find one for you and mail it (wonder if they have "facility to facility" mail for Matt to send it to Tim?) Our husbands work for a tire company, surely we can find a wagon wheel - LOL! Take Care!
ReplyDeleteJan, thank you for the visual walk thru your part of Shenyang, it was fun and I can see why you are tired at the end of the day. It almost felt like I was right there and it is nice to see pictures of places that you write about in your blog. I am now going to move on to Friday's Blog.
ReplyDeleteJan I have to apologize for not getting many of your blog posts read this week. It has been a crazy week for me. Lots of fun but crazy so I have missed reading. Anyway what a day you had and wonderful photos. It was definitely play by play. Thank you for sharing by photos all of the areas you visit. In photos it looks beautiful. The shops are so clean and the floors so shiny. Happy City really looks like fun. Some of the food doesn't. I always was proud of myself at not being picky but I think in China I would be. Well I must read on. Bye for now!
ReplyDelete