Today we decided to split up so Tim took Ryan to Carrefour and KFC for a little treat while Nicholas and I went to IKEA (Icky Ah here) in search of some plastic dishes and chocolate bars. When we arrived at IKEA there was a display of a kitchen and living room set up right inside the door. Every seat was occupied by a Chinese person and Nicholas asked me, "Do they live here?". I was thinking the exact same thing! That's what it looked like, they were all so comfortable. We went up the escalator to the second floor and got Nicholas his token hot dog and pop then started for the third floor where the furniture is located. Since it was just the two of us today we decided we would actually look around at what they had there instead of rushing through the short cuts. As we walked around I started to realize how many people there were lying in beds or posing on various furniture items and getting pictures. Someone mentioned to me one time about seeing people sleeping at IKEA but I never really had a chance to notice before. When we got to the children's section I saw that in one room they had on display, the bed was made up and there was a kid tucked in for a nap. His mother sat on a stool in the room next to his shoes which were sitting neatly beside the bed. I felt like I was intruding on his sleep just by walking by. We went around the corner to the play area where there are several toddler beds and almost every one of them was occupied. It was bizarre.
We found a few things in the kids' department to buy, including animal finger puppets (too cute!) then moved on to look for plastic dishware. In the end I didn't buy any. The toy stuff was much more fun! After paying we got Nicholas an ice cream then went outside to find Tian Ye when I remembered that we hadn't gotten the dark chocolate bars. Shudder! We scooted back inside, up the escalator to the second floor, bought the bars and some crackers, stopped at the bathroom, then went back down the escalator and out to the van. From here we went to the pedestrian walking street and roamed around the malls looking at toys. It was nice going with just the two of us. There is less competition between the boys and I can focus my attention on one instead of two. Tim and Ryan had a nice time too.
Aside from that we didn't do a lot today. Tim had the boys outside for a bit this morning playing baseball and soccer and tonight we all watched a movie together. Now the kids are in bed and it's time for us to relax and chat. It was four months ago yesterday that we arrived in Shenyang and less than four months until the kids and I are back in Canada for a visit. Time flies!
Good morning Jan. Nice that you and Nick could have some one on one time and Tim and Ryan could have their time as well. It does make it a lot easier to shop with just one.
ReplyDeleteI wonder why everyone was napping at IKEA, maybe they are just trying out the furniture - or not.
It is hard to believe that you have been over there for 4 months, sometimes it seems like you have been there for a very long time, and other times it seems like you have just left. It will be nice to see you guys in person, maybe I will get some hugs from my boys.
It was another nice day here today, not too hot but lots of sunshine. Carl, Kenzie and I went down to Hayden's ball game in Sheet Harbour. Tracy and Hayden went down on Friday, he had to be there by 2:00 They spent the night as he had an early game on Sat. Stevie had a dentist appointment Friday afternoon so he went down with Lynn Cox early Sat morning. They lost two, won two, but are out of the finals so they came home Sat. night. I finally got out to the mall after lunch to pick up some things for Kaitlyn's birthday. Tricia bought a game for her for me, but I always like to send something in the mail. They love getting a parcel to open.
Well Jan, I am just about asleep, so I think I will go to bed. Keep up the good work with the blog, we really do enjoy reading about your days, home or out and about.
Have a good day, bye for now.
Glad to hear Jan you had a better day today! I'm sure each of the boys had fun also. The furniture thing at IKEA is weird. I have laid on a bed in a furniture store just to see what the mattress feels like for a minute but to actually take a nap is just wrong. Really what they are selling is second hand furniture! Well I can finally tell you what Darlene and I have been doing for the last 3 days. We have been making a scrapbook for my Aunt Helen's 90th birthday. I got the idea through the night on Tuesday and decided I wanted to make her a scrapbook of special events in her life. Darlene offered to help me which was very kind of her cause I would never have gotten as much done without her. I scanned and chose my photos many of which were slides, organized them and decided on themes then sent some of them to Carsands for printing. The rest I burned to a DVD and Darlene printed them for me. I had over 300 all together but only scrapbooked 130 so far. But the book is beautiful I am really pleased with it and I think Aunt Helen liked it. I would design a layout and Darlene would help me back photos and cut them in ovals or whatever, also she found poems on line and printed them. We spent in total 17 hours on 130 photos and 34 pages. I wish I could have thought of it 3 months ago and I would have had more time but it all worked out in the end. I have some writing to do yet in it but need to buy a fine felt marker. Anyhow that is what we have been doing. Now it is time to do my soccer and ball photos and more painting on Linda's trailer. Hope you have another great day! Bye for now.
ReplyDeleteJan - how bizarre about the furniture in Ikea! I don't think I've ever seen anyone really "lounging around" - testing out for a few minutes, yes, but not lounging! I love Ikea, but don't get there often enough since it's all the way up in the city. I guess I better get there a few more times before we move to SC, as there is no Ikea in SC! Closest ones are here in Atlanta, and up in Charlotte!
ReplyDeleteMatt teased me the other day about how much I was enjoying reading your blog. He said "so when it comes time I should tell Michelin I want to go to China vs. France?". I said "nope, i think we'll stick with France!" I don't know if I could handle everyone being so fascinated with my blond hair, blue eyed children (although their hair is quickly darkening up!).
I've never had the dark chocolate bars from Ikea, but maybe the kids and I will stop in next weekend when we pass through Atlanta. School here starts tomorrow (tears!).
Take Care!