Monday, August 8, 2011

Rainy Days and Mondays



Sunday was a day for hanging out together at home.  We played Lego, Cars and board games and I did a bit of Christmas shopping online.  It was another hot one and although we thought about going out a few times, no one was really into it so we didn't bother.  

Sue had offered to watch the kids for us so Tim and I could go out for supper and we took her up on the offer.  We decided to go back to the Japanese restaurant we enjoyed so much the last time.  I remembered to put the battery in my camera for this trip so I was able to get a few pictures.



Ryan took this one...

...and this one too.

The outside of Minakami's.





Tim tried to negotiate a table with a door instead of curtains but they said we couldn't.











Outside the restaurant
 We had a delicious meal once again and really enjoyed ourselves.  When we got home Sue said that the boys were great.  Apparently she told them while we were gone that they were really behaving well and Nick said, "We aren't this good for Mommy".

This morning Ryan was up early so I came out to the living room and dozed off on the couch.  I awoke to a loud noise and I thought that there was some demolition going on around us.  We checked all the windows and finally found the culprit.  It was fireworks - at 7:45 on a Monday morning.  Of course!  Why not?  It was actually for a wedding as they do them very early in the morning here and on any day of the week.  They don't usually do fireworks though and since they set them off almost in the middle of Eastern Venice, they really echoed and sounded incredibly loud.  I thought one of the buildings was coming down!

I considered taking the boys somewhere today but it has been raining on and off all day.  Also, our water has been shut off again since early this morning and still hasn't come back on.  Ayi showed up and I had her call the management to find out when we might get it back and they said five o'clock!  She left since there isn't much she can do without water.  The dishes are starting to pile up and we haven't been able to flush the toilets.  I hope it comes back on soon and they stop doing this.  It's really getting annoying.

I have a few pictures that I took last week and forgot to put on.  We saw this on our walk to the Carrefour:





The guy in the picture is selling fresh fruit from the cart.

So that's about all the excitement going on here.  I guess we are supposed to get the remnants of a typhoon or tropical storm tonight although not directly over Shenyang.  Tim heard that there may be 50mm of rain which will reek havoc with the traffic.  When it rains there are a lot more taxis on the go of course, but because they don't have much in the way of drainage here a lot of the roads get flooded and impassable.  Probably a good reason to stick around here.

2 comments:

  1. Jan your you look really great in your skirt and top. I love that outfit on you! Ryan did an amazing job taking the photo. He is getting very good training! The restaurant looks really awesome also. I can imagine the food was very tasty. The fireworks you heard would scare Jerry out of his mind. He really hates thunder and any loud noises. He probably would dart for the basement and not surface for a week! Your water situation must be a real pain. I feel really sorry for that little donkey. What a load for the little guy. He is probably thirsty and hungry too. When Liz was in Bali she made a donation to the Bali Animal Welfare Assoc. in our name which I thought was a truly wonderful thing to do. I just think that animals really get exploited even here they do. Anyway enough on the serious stuff. We had a wonderful birthday party at Elaine's for Aunt Helen. Elaine said she really enjoyed it. She said she really liked the photo album and Dev did her a CD of the Firemen's 50th Parade one of which we are sending to you guys via your Mom. (She doesn't know yet!) We just don't trust the mail. Then yesterday I worked on Soccer photos and cards and Ellery and I finished them last night. Then I had a poem to write for my sister's 50th and got that done so now I guess it is time to paint. There is always something to do, I will never understand people saying they are bored! Well I hope you have a great day! Bye for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, love the outfit, you look great!!! Ryan is getting really good at taking pictures. You will have to get him his own camera before long.
    Nice that you and Tim could get out for an evening. The Japanese restaurant is sure different from what we are used to. It looks so peaceful and quiet, bet there is no loud music being played there.
    They sure do things differently in China, you don't see too many weekday weddings and certainly no fire works here in Canada.
    I hope that poor little donkey was getting something to drink and to eat. I feel sorry for the little guy standing around all day hitched to a wagon. I am afraid after the situation with the dog and chicken that the Chinese people do not respect their animals. Hopefully there are exceptions.
    Stevie got our new steps in the pool. We tried them out and they are great. It is so much easier to get in and out. We took the slide down, the boys don't use it very often now. We likely will have to put it back up next summer when the girls are here.
    We had a very lazy day yesterday. I did some mowing and laundry and that was it. Tricia and the kids were over for a swim. Carl and I went in for 1/2 hour and Hayden and Kenzie went in when they got here. They were all here for supper. Steve did the BBQing, Carl and I did the rice, Tracy did egg rolls and Grampy Jake provided a coconut cream pie. Someone gave it to him but he does not like that kind so he sent it over to us.
    It started to rain just before supper and there was a little bit of thunder. They have a heavy rainfall warning out for us today and we are supposed to get about 50ml today and another 40 on Tuesday. Last summer we had to keep adding water to the pool, this summer we have to keep taking it out.
    I guess we are supposed to be painting today but haven't heard anything for sure, will get ready just in case.
    You guys have a great day, take care.

    ReplyDelete