As promised today was an early, busy day. The only thing that saved it from being a disaster was a much needed nap for Ryan, Nicholas and myself.
We left early with questions from Nick as to where we were going. I managed to put off answering until after we dropped Tim off at work. On the way to the hospital I finally told him and he didn't react too badly. As we were talking he asked why he had to have another needle. I told him that they want to make sure he and the other kids aren't sick. He asked why and I told him that if they were they wouldn't be allowed to go to school. His response, "I wish I was sick". I explained that if he was sick he would have to have needles all the time and he quickly changed his mind.
I won't write too much about the physical and blood taking since the first thing Nicholas asked me when we left the building was not to say anything about it on my blog. He knows me well! I will just say that for the most part it went better this time although still not easy. The place was a little nicer and better organized than the last one so it didn't take as long. We are just glad to have it done for this year. Apparently it must be done every year. They don't mention that in the brochure.
From here we moved on to the passport photo for Ryan. I told him that we were doing it and he said he would cooperate. To lighten the mood after the physical Tian Ye decided to put a movie on the DVD players for us. His choice: Titanic. We watched it until the part where Rose considers jumping off the ship then I asked him to turn it off. Nick was really interested and I didn't feel like explaining suicide to a four-year-old today. We found a place for the photos with help from an expat blog and I took Ry in while Nick waited in the van with Tian Ye. Everything was great until we went to actually have the photo taken and he flipped out. He cried and held on to me and we stood there for forty minutes negotiating. While we did three other people, two of them kids, were able to get their photos done very quickly. We went through three photographers who each had a go at getting the picture and all I can say is that I didn't think when I got up this morning that it would be more difficult to a picture of Ryan than to draw blood from Nicholas. I used every bribe and threat I could think of and several times I had him convinced to pose until they held the camera up and he would dive. Finally one lady was pretty quick on the draw and she got him. I just hope they will accept it with his red eyes and pouting face. Just in case they don't, he will be with me in Beijing to have them done again.
After that fiasco I just wanted to go home so after a stop at the bank we did just that. Ayi was still here when we arrived and I think she was a little confused. Monday we weren't home at all and today we were gone early again. I got the kids and myself something to eat and when Ayi left we all went to bed for a rest. Everyone slept for quite a while and when Nicholas got up he was very concerned that we all get ready for Caroline's birthday party. When it was finally time to go he was bouncing off the walls. We had a nice time at the party and Caroline loved her gift. We got her a little wooden wagon that she can use to help her learn to walk. The cake was good although Nick was a little disappointed that there wasn't any ice cream.
When the kids started to get a little crazy I took mine and two others outside to the playground. Nick ended up joining in a soccer game with some older kids so we stayed there even after the other party goers left. Finally the game ended and we came in for baths and supper. Tonight I have been busy preparing for my mini-trip to Beijing tomorrow. I've been pleasantly surprised that Nicholas isn't too put out (yet) that I am taking Ryan and he is staying here with Tim. I hope he feels the same tomorrow when it comes time for us to leave!
I will be back from Beijing on Saturday so I don't know when I will be posting again. I won't even be able get on Facebook to update my status so I will say so long, farewell, alvederzane and goodbye. Have a great few days everyone!
Jan, glad the blood taking is over with. You never know with kids how things are going to go, and Ryan does march to his own drum. Guess picture taking, at least for today wasn't on his marching agenda.
ReplyDeleteIt was nice that they had Caroline's birthday party to attend and a bonus for Nick to get to play soccer with the older kids.
It is the start of our day here, and so far I haven't done much. Did up the deposit for the TC and did my banking and that is about all.
Hayden is at Hockey Camp, he has Thursday and Friday off but will go Saturday and Sunday. Kenzie is playing the Wii....his favorite thing to do. They did manage to get out on the trampoline and have a game of pool before Hayden left.
You and Ryan have a safe trip to Beijing and I hope everything goes well for you. I am sure that Tim and Nick will have a great time together.
Guess I will go and see about getting some lunch ready.
Take Care.
Well Jan the bloodtest is one unpleasant task off of your list. Hopefully Ryans photos are acceptable for the passport and he and you won't have to go through that again for a while. Glad they enjoyed themselves at the birthday party. Ellery and I have reservations for Brier Island Lodge and to watch the whales this weekend. Dev and Liz were supposed to come with us but as you know Irene messed that up. So now neither of them can get time off anytime soon. I hope you and Ryan have fun in Beijing and things go smoothly for you. Will be waiting to hear all about it when you get back. I just had a thought....maybe Tim and Nick could do the blog while you are away. It might be interesting to hear their perspective on China! ;O) Bye for now!
ReplyDeleteHey Jan - have a good time in Beijing - I'm sure Nick and Tim will have a great time - although missing you and Ryan the whole time!!! Glad to hear the tough day is over and Nick made out okay - Ryan reminds me of Kenzie - he'll do it when he's good and ready!! Sometimes that may mean "NEVER"!!! hahahaha - hugs and kisses to all!!
ReplyDelete