I'm not talking about the good kind like money, jewels, mansions and yachts. I'm referring to the genes, both desirable and not so pleasing, that you inherit from your mummy and daddy (or the milkman). One of the most prevalent in my family is the clumsiness gene. Both my parents have it (yes, Mom, you too!), my sister has it, I have it and now, I fear, it has been passed on to both my boys. When we were invited to Celine's house a couple weeks back for a barbecue, we weren't there ten minutes and one of the kids managed to smash a glass all over the floor. While at their house again for a party this past weekend, I dropped a beer bottle when Celine bumped into me (or I bumped into her) and just after we got that cleaned up Ryan knocked his glass of juice on the floor and we had another mess of glass everywhere. We have had to buy more glasses and bowls because we have broken so many of them on these marble floors. Today it happened again, twice. The kids were using mugs for their water and Nicholas knocked the one Ryan was using on the floor. There was water all over the place because it was full but luckily it broke into three large pieces and only a few smaller ones. I picked up the three big pieces and set them on the kitchen counter then cleaned up the rest with paper towel. Slightly frustrated with the whole day, I went in and grabbed the glass to throw it in a box of garbage but it slipped and I dropped the broken pieces on the floor. This time it broke into many, many more pieces and I had another clean up job. I guess I am getting used to it, I pretty much have to. Judging from Ma and Pa there is no end in sight for this affliction.
Keeping somewhat with the same topic, this afternoon the kids and I watched a new program on Netflix about sea mammals. It was a very interesting documentary and near the end they were talking about a certain kind of whale, maybe right or sperm, I can't remember. Anyway, a lady whale was being courted by several no-so-gentlemanly male whales and floated to the surface and rolled over onto her back to avoid their 'advances'. This didn't stop the very obviously horny males who began trying to mate with her. Interestingly enough, this particular whale has a penis which is twelve feet long and is very 'mobile'. Ryan was paying no attention but Nick was intrigued by this penis that to me looked like a cobra that was being hypnotized by a snake charmer. This is how the conversation progressed:
Nick: "What is that whale doing with his penis?"
Me: "He's going to put it inside the girl whale. That is how a baby whale is made."
Nick: "Really?"
Me: "Yes. That is how all babies are made."
I look at his face and see the wheels turning.
Nick: "You don't do that! Do you?!" (I'm using ?! to indicate the wide eyes, raised brows and open mouth)
Me: "Yes, that is how babies are made."
Nick: "Daddy doesn't do that! Does he?!"
Me: "Ah, yeah. You will do that too someday if you want to have kids."
Nick: "All parents do that?"
Me: "Yes, that is how they get the babies."
Nick to Ryan: "Can I have Monster Truck McQueen now?"
So, that was our sex talk for this week. Luckily he didn't ask why several males waited in line to mate with this one female (or if I did that) but we did watch the show again and I think he was quite amazed by the twelve feet thing (to be honest, so was I!). It was a very educational show, I would recommend it to everyone if I could remember the name of it.
Aside from a lot of laundry and cleaning, today was pretty uneventful. It's still pretty hot although the air was better so we had the windows open with a breeze blowing through. Tomorrow is language lesson day and I still haven't had time to study. Good thing there aren't any tests!
Jan, I think you need to stop at IKEA and pick up some of their plastic glasses. I bought some when I was at Darren's a couple of years ago, guaranteed not to break when dropped on marble floors. Of course this won't solve all the problems but will help.
ReplyDeleteThat was quite a conversation you had with Nick, he is so smart. I would like to be a mouse in a corner when he decides to explain to Ryan, and I am sure at some point he will, should be really interesting.
I am sure you are doing great with the language lessons, studying or not.
I am catching up on some end of the month computer work. Dad got a letter from the gov. while I was gone informing him that he qualifies for the guaranteed income supplement. They dated it back to 2010. They sent a form to be filled out for 2011, according to them they hadn't received his income tax return. I went looking for it and couldn't find the darn thing, so I went on to U-file and printed another copy, and guess what.......it looks like I didn't file the thing to begin with. Sometimes I think I would like to leave and hide somewhere. I have no idea why I would pay to U-file and then not do it. But I wouldn't be able to print it off if I hadn't paid, so I know I at least did that part. Now I will turn to the HST for the canteen, I am trying to do it every month so it won't be so bad at the end of the year. We have no way to track it on our cash register. Oh well, gives me something to do.
It is beautiful here today, sunny and warm, guess we will be using the pool this afternoon.
Gramp made chow mien for lunch, Carl had some, but not me, I will find something else, it is not my favorite food.
You guys have a great day, hugs and kisses for Nick and Ryan, Hi to Tim. Take care.
Jan, I also think you should invest in some plastic dishes. It would save some clean up time and the annoyance of glass everywhere. I think your little boys are very fortunate to have a Mom like you who is so comfortable in her own skin. I'm sure most people would not have answered Nick's penis question nearly as well as you did. It sounds like an interesting show that you watched. We got lots of hostas planted around my shed today. We also planted some black eyed Susans. I still have lots more to do to the garden but it is looking very nice. We have tons of stuff in it already. We went to the cottage this afternoon and I got for my walk on the beach and Ellery got the lawn mowed. I did help him some. It was a beautiful day here but it is supposed to rain for the next three days so we were glad to get over. Liz flies in tonight from Australia. Her flight comes in around 2:30am. Dev is picking her up. I can hardly wait to see all of her photos and here her stories. I did catch a few while she was gone but I'm sure there are many more. Well must go get ready for bed soon. I didn't sleep well last night so I need to get to be early. Bye for now! Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteI thought I'd send a little note to say that I'm still following...and loving your blog. Wow, it's great to know that I can blame my lack of gracefulness on genetics. My genetic condition seems to be getting worse with age; Just this morning I smucked myself in the head with the car door. I have a small red mark and a wicked goose egg...nice!!
ReplyDeleteLove reading about all of your adventures;I can't wait to come for a visit so I can go on one with you guys!!!
Love lots,
Tammy