Friday, August 12, 2011

Finally - A Good Use For The Bidet

In my last post I mentioned that I was going to soak my feet in a fancy powder and scrape them with a cheese grater type contraption.  I was a bit late getting started since I let Nick stay up and watched a movie so it was after nine when went to bed.  Once I got him settled I went in search of something suitable to put my potion into that would also fit my feet.  One of the bins that the kids' toys are kept in was almost the right size but had two small holes in the bottom so that was out.  The cleaning bucket would have worked but I really didn't want to put any part of my body in that.  I was ready to sit on the kitchen counter and use the sink when I came up with a brilliant solution - the bidet!  Now before you get all grossed out you should know that we don't use the bidet for its intended purpose and in fact several months ago I turned the water off and taped off the drains.  We often get a bad smell in our bathrooms and when we first moved in we suspected gases coming up through the drain in the bidet.  Since we taped it off it is somewhat better but other people in Eastern Venice have the same problem with the smell. It comes and goes but most of the time isn't too bad - if we close the door and turn on the fan.  Anyway, I turned the hot water tap back on, put my potion in the bidet and got a chair from the kitchen.  I started up some music and played a game on the iPod while soaking in the lovely orange water.  I did that for quite a while then moved to the living room to scrub away all the badness cluttering up my soles.  Back to the bidet once more where I soaked again then used a plastic bowl to scoop out the water - I didn't want to take the electrical tape off the drain to let the water out.  In the end my feet were only slightly less crusty than before.  Oh well, it felt pretty good.

Today ended up being a jammy day for us.  Ayi was here this morning and I moved furniture for her while she cleaned the floors.  I also used the time to finish cleaning up our closet, do laundry and vacuum out the dryer.  Yes, I said dryer.  It's amazing how much lint can accumulate in the hidden parts of the thing in just three months.  Ryan had a nap this afternoon so Nicholas and I played for a while together and watched some television then I cut up a big load of vegetables for supper.  I decided the boys should have good ol' potatoes and carrots tonight instead of rice or noodles but I still cooked our regular meal for Tim and I.  Actually, Ryan prefers rice to potatoes but wouldn't eat much of anything.  I think he's bored of eating lately.  I can't really blame him.  

At four Lena came for my massage and it was very nice although there was no dozing off this time.  Both Nicholas and Ryan were in several times asking for this and that.  It was still relaxing though and a great way to start the weekend.  Tian Ye is off tomorrow and some of Sunday so we won't be going too far.  We haven't been to Happy City for a while so perhaps we will go there.  It's difficult to say.  Hopefully the air will be better than it was today as I couldn't even see the buildings across the river.  I'm not sure what the reason was this time but regardless, we weren't going outside to play.  Let's see if tomorrow is an improvement.

2 comments:

  1. Jan, I think I would forget about the foot bath if I had to go thru all that. I wouldn't have the energy. You will have to find someone to give you a pedicure, I didn't think I would like anyone touching my feet but I love it! Carol does a foot massage when she does my toes and also scrubs off the dead skin on my feet, she does a good job.
    Sheryl and I cleaned the mini blinds for the trailer today, and Sheryl rinsed off the screens. Ellery said we were done for the weekend. Sheryl went home to clean, she is having a jewellery party Monday night. I just came home, I am tired of cleaning so I haven't done anything. I did go in for a swim at lunch time. Steve was here to see what we could do with the steps and someone had to go in the pool to help move them. Once I was in it wasn't too bad so I had a swim while I was there. Kenzie, Emma, Katie and Angie were in for a while. Tracy and Stevie are going out to supper with friends from Halifax. They come up every year for the Dutch Mason Festival and they always get together and go out.
    Well Jan, I guess I better go get some supper ready, the boys are here and Carl has to work downstairs tonight.
    Hope your air quality is better today and you can get outside. Have a good weekend. Bye for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan I agree with Darlene. I would rather have someone do all the foot stuff for me. Ellery rubs my feet and it feels so good. I guess Darlene told you most of the scoop here. I did tell her and Ellery that I thought I might have the jewellery party at Linda's trailer cause it is cleaner than my house. So yes I did do some cleaning today dusting and tidying up. I haven't done a lot to my house lately. It was such a beautiful day here today I just wanted to enjoy it so I did get to sit on my back deck with a magazine for a while. Ellery and I mowed the lawn tonight. It's just like a rain forest around here. Or a jungle. Everything is growing so fast and thick. Hope you can get out to Happy City. Have a great day! I read your blog earlier today but just didn't get a chance to write until now!

    ReplyDelete